Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast How do you know and spot what coroplast is in person? (hobby lobby)

knj240

Cavy Slave
My fiance' and I were out price shopping for GP Supplies and we stopped by Hobby Lobby, With not any attention of looking for coroplast I stumbled across These LONG Thicker White Boards, that if bent they break, not in two but do cause a good deep crease. I seen a couple different types of "Boards" like this in my local Hobby Lobby and didn't investigate much further because we had to pick up my son in just a few minutes around that time, so we left. But how do you know what is Coroplast?
Are there certain names it goes by I could read on a label?

As far as alternatives, what ARE Alternatives...Can you find those in places like Hobby Lobby?
I'm not REALLY interested in building my own c&c cage, but if the price would be some cheaper then I might. I thought it would be interesting to find out what these long white boards were either way.

Thanks

Last edited:

knj240

Cavy Slave
Re: How do you know and spot what coroplast in person? (hobby lobby)

The inside of the board looked very similar to this...
board.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
The picture you posted looks like coroplast.

Coroplast is actually a brand name. The common name is corrugated plastic. They look like cardboard but made with plastic.

Why arn't you interested in building your own C&C? I only spent $25 for my first cage. $10 for a 4x8 ft sheet of coroplast and $15 for a box of grids.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
C&C cages are totally worth it money wise! For half the price of this (broken link removed) cage I built this cage:

IMG_4449.jpg

You can also post/look on craig's list or freecycle for grids to keep costs down even more!

knj240

Cavy Slave
I'm going to go back and take a look at it.
I had just planned to buy from guineapigzone, I have looked for the grids in my area but no luck. The cheapest I have found a set of 4 cubes is at walmart.com for $25 w/free shipping (site to store) and I am not exactly sure how large of a cage only one set would make. I remember seeing these cubes at biglots, but they were in an isle that I believe the area stores send over their left over items, Because I have never noticed them again.
If that is Coroplast at hobby lobby, which I doubt but I am going to go take another look then I might consider making my own. I just thought it would be easier to already have one cut and measured and sent to me.
But if I could find a deal like you did, then what a savings!

knj240

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are totally worth it money wise! For half the price of this (broken link removed) cage I built this cage:

View attachment 15621

You can also post/look on craig's list or freecycle for grids to keep costs down even more!
Thanks I think I will give it a try. I am still a little confused on how large of a cage, a box of 4cubes would make?

knj240

Cavy Slave
and about the corrugated plastic, are you able to bend it at all? I mean if you were to grab a corner and bend it, would it just bend or would it cause a crease?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on how you bend it. You can roll a 4'x8' sheet of coroplast into a cylinder small enough to fit in the back seat of a Honda Civic, which is to say, not a very small cylinder.

If you bend it along the direction of the corrugations, it will bend fairly far. If you bend it sharply against the grain or from a corner, it will crease in wonky directions.

I'm not sure that picture is of coroplast, although it could be. It looks like some all-plastic stuff we got for a project one the kids did a couple of years ago. If so, it's much thicker than what we usually use for C&C cages, but should probably work ok. If you're building the cage by the directions on Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home, you'll have to adjust the cutting measurements for the thicker board.

knj240

Cavy Slave
It depends on how you bend it. You can roll a 4'x8' sheet of coroplast into a cylinder small enough to fit in the back seat of a Honda Civic, which is to say, not a very small cylinder.

If you bend it along the direction of the corrugations, it will bend fairly far. If you bend it sharply against the grain or from a corner, it will crease in wonky directions.

I'm not sure that picture is of coroplast, although it could be. It looks like some all-plastic stuff we got for a project one the kids did a couple of years ago. If so, it's much thicker than what we usually use for C&C cages, but should probably work ok. If you're building the cage by the directions on Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home, you'll have to adjust the cutting measurements for the thicker board.

Thanks, I'm going to go Monday or Tuesday to take a look at it again, Hobby lobby is closed on Sundays. I'll try and take a look at the label and ask someone that works there if they can figure it out for me if I can't. We do have a sign shop in town, so I might call there but that leaves the cubes.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Bed Bath and Beyond has the cubes for 20 bucks and if you join their e-mail list they will send you a 20% off coupon. Make the cubes 16 bucks, it will make 4 cubes. You can get a 2x3 out of it easily. I'd also check freecycle and craig's list, there are some great deals there.

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
You can look at pictures and count the cubes needed, or do the math.

For example, I put my 2x4 on the floor, so I didn't need grids on the bottom. Figure out how many grids you need for two long sides (4 grids x 2 sides = 8 grids) and two short sides (2 grids x 2 sides = 4 grids), then add those numbers together (8 grids + 4 grids = 12 grids).

A 2x3 on the floor would be two long sides (3 grids x 2 sides = 6 grids) and two short sides (2 grids x 2 sides = 4 grids), for a total of (6 grids + 4 grids = 10 grids).

The boxes should tell you how many cubes you can make AND how many grids are in the container. I believe a 4-cube box has 18 grids. I bought one 4-cube box from BBB to make my 4x2 on the floor ($5 coupons are out in mailers right now, ask your neighbors/friends if you didn't get one). I later bought another 4-cube box from BBB so I could add a bottom storage layer out of the grids (I'd count that out for you, but it depends how you do it, and my eyes start to cross!). Definitely check used, and even ask around family/friend/neighbors (Facebook is great for this kind of thing).

lissie

Cavy Slave
and about the corrugated plastic, are you able to bend it at all? I mean if you were to grab a corner and bend it, would it just bend or would it cause a crease?

If you are bending it for transportation, you can roll it without causing a crease.
Rolling Coroplast - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

If you are bending it to make the tray for the cage, you have to score it first. On the flute side, cut through one layer of the plastic and leave the other layer. On the side that goes against the flute, just score it.
How to Make a C&C Cage

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.