Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How are your Pigs fed Hay?

I got the idea from another user and I use a suet bird feeder not the small though, the large one.

Tried a hay rack, but it didn't work, so I now put it against one side of the cage andlet them have at it.

Wow it is great seeing how everyone offers hay to their Piggys! Great thread OP!

I have boys and they poop and pee in their hay trays all the time! It's good because it contains their mess, but bad because they won't eat the hay.

I have the trays on the 2nd level. I only put a small amount of hay in them and clean them daily. I pull hay from the bottom of the ray rack to refill them, that way the hay in the rack stays fresher.

https://s1310.photobucket.com/user/jennifereckert6297/media/Charlie/DSCN0637_zps7facd8f1.jpg.html

I have the hay rack on the bottom level. I was using Kaytee Timothy Hay which was cut in short pieces. It was terrible on the fleece because it fell thru the rack. Now that I have great hay the rack contains the hay and keeps a good bit of it off the fleece! (Its time to clean the cage, I do it twice a day)

https://s1310.photobucket.com/user/jennifereckert6297/media/Charlie/DSCN0638_zps3814b2f5.jpg.html

I use a hay bag and then a bowl filled with hay by their pellets

Ferb has this hay bin but I can't recommend it. It was working pretty well until I had to take the wire part out. Instead of pulling the hay through the wire he was going vertically head down into the back of the bin behind the wire to get the hay. I watched him almost get stuck that way and realized it's a strangulation hazard! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...SX110_SY165_QL70#immersive_view?1391878737943

My pigs never got the hang of using a hay rack so I am using the hanging veggie balls instead. The only bad thin about them, is that I have to refill them about 2-3 times a day. I have also heard of people having good results with the bird suet feeders. Sometimes I just toss a big pile in and they like to sleep in it and burrow.

I'm considering trying the suet feeder, are there any negatives?

I'm considering trying the suet feeder, are there any negatives?

Well I'm not sure because I have never used it myself but the only thug that I think would be a negative is you might have to refill I often depending on the size of it.

I have been recommending using a suet feeder quite often on the forums. works pretty darn well. You can get one for like 5 bucks at home depot, lowes or any general gardening center.

I have been recommending using a suet feeder quite often on the forums. works pretty darn well. You can get one for like 5 bucks at home depot, lowes or any general gardening center.

How does it work, and how does the hay go in

How does it work, and how does the hay go in

There is a little "door" that you can open up and stuff the hay in, there are also hooks so you can hang it on the side of your cage.

There is a little "door" that you can open up and stuff the hay in, there are also hooks so you can hang it on the side of your cage.

And I asume the guinea pigs have no problems pulling the hay out.

I got the idea from you @Levenn and that's what I use now. My piggies love it!!!

My solo boy has a box I cut a slice out of but he doesn't chew the cardboard

How are your Pigs fed Hay?

But my pair used to just chew the box an made a biiig mess so I've found a bent grid works well for them :)

Here is what I have come up with for the piggies hay with the hopes it limits the mess some and at the same time deters them from pooping and peeing in it. Unlike like hay box idea I tried earlier, this is heavier so it will be harder fo them to move it, plus with the lid on it they cant just jump into it.

Last edited:
Well as I have found out, they can move it, but atleast not dump it or atleast for now can't use the hay as a restroom.

How do you hang it in the cage. Homedepot has them for 2.99 so I plan to pick one up on the way to work in the morning.

How do you hang it in the cage. Homedepot has them for 2.99 so I plan to pick one up on the way to work in the morning.

The one I bought had hooks on it so I could hang it off the cage walls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.