Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hotter with short hair?

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
on a different thread we were discussing piggie hair cuts and this came up. i was wondering where i can find more information about this because i really didnt know that cutting a piggies hair will make them hotter.

any help would be great. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
i have a peruvian piggie and cut his hair about every 3-4 months because it gets so hot here year round.

how does everyone else cut their piggies hair?

Actually, cutting their hair, as with a dog or cat will just make them hotter. The hair protects them from the heat.

Its a common misconception. With humans we cut our hair to keep us cool, but we also sweat to keep cool. Animals, like dogs and guinea pigs can't sweat, so the hair protects their skin from the heat.

The only reason I shaved down my peruvian was because she was being barbered by the other sows and because she had tangles by her rump and I didn't want to put her through the trauma of cutting them out.

Cutting the hair a few inches is fine, but don't shave down to the skin.

Pet Grooming - Dog Ear Infections!

Most veterinarians and professional pet groomers recommend against shaving a pet for the summer months, because a dog's coat helps to protect him from the sun. Since dogs don't sweat to cool themselves, they don't need exposed skin to stay cool.

oh thats really interesting. so is it the same with piggies?

because even if the piggies dont sweat, i would think the layers of long hair would insulate his body heat and make him hotter.

Starbucks said:
oh thats really interesting. so is it the same with piggies?

because even if the piggies dont sweat, i would think the layers of long hair would insulate his body heat and make him hotter.
Yes, it's the same with cavies. They can't sweat to keep cool so their hair protects them against the heat. Body heat is much different then heat from the sun. I know of a few pigs that have died of heat stroke, out of those pigs, they had short hair, even though long haired cavies were outside with them.

my piggy like his mulit

Like I said before, it's like a thermos.

i guess i just have a hard time understanding how "more" layers of hair can keep them cooler.

Its like the insulation for your house, it helps keep it cool when you want it cool and warm when you want to be warm... I think

mncavylover said:
Like I said before, it's like a thermos.
so if its like a thermos, then doesnt it keep the heat in?

Okay, let me try to explain again...

They can't sweat to keep cool.
Since they can't sweat to keep cool, the sun rays go right to their skin, with no protection.
With longer hair, it keeps their body heat in (which doesn't make them hot).
The long hair protects the rays from hitting or reaching their skin, thus keeping them cooler.

So inconclusion, as dagwell said, it's like insulation for a house. It keeps heat out during the summer, and heat in during the winter.

Short haired cavies have a higher chance of getting heatstroke because they have only a few inches of protection from the heat.

Exactly as Katie said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.