Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea Piggy with URI - prescribed Orbax

MoJeanie

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
Im worried for my little Guinea Pig. His name is Edgar Allan Pig (Eddie) he's 4 and a half years old, and about a week ago I noticed him not eating, had sunken eyes, and was face-planted into his bedding. I was terribly worried and thought he was just not feeling well. Roughly only a couple days later I took him to the vet where he said he heard wheezing in his right lung and wanted to do an x-ray, but it was extremely overpriced and i didn't have the money for it and he said it was fine and proceeded to prescribe him Orbax and Critical Care apple banana flavored. He started the antibiotics roughly 12am Thursday (or Wednesday night) and it is now Friday, 10pm. I've been giving him critical care every 3-4 hours or so because he's struggling eating, hasn't drank water from his bottle for a week, ive been providing it, and Ive been giving him his Orbax morning and night and I have it written to give him this medication for 10 days. He hasn't gotten better, I could absolutely be paranoid and anxious for it to kick in maybe sooner than it can, but his ribs are still showing in a way and he's still not really eating on his own at all, and he's continuing to "sleep" with his head face planted in the bedding. He also has a runny nose with the wheezing which i can't remember if it's started recently or before the vet. I did see him trying to nibble at some hay today but it didn't seem much. Am I being paranoid? I've seen posts saying Orbax is used for UTIs and skin infections, why is it prescribed to my piggy for his URI? Im worried about possible intolerance too because due to the URI his symptoms match the same as intolerance symptoms to the antibiotic so im unsure if he's okay. Does anyone have experience with this antibiotic? Does critical care have probiotics? I just need some advice <3 thank you all

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Orbax is used for URI's, probably more often than for UTI's. It's a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and appropriate for use in this situation. Is it the right one? That's harder to say, because to determine whether it's effective against whatever organism is causing the problem with your pig, you'd have to collect and isolate the organism, grow it in a lab, and test it against several different antibiotics.

That's not usually done, for several reasons. It's hard, maybe impossible, to get a good sample -- you can't get a guinea pig to cough on demand. It's expensive. Probably most important is that it takes several days, and a guinea pig may not survive an untreated infection long enough to get the results. So they're put on an antibiotic that most often works, and everyone crosses their fingers that it was the right one.

I'm not surprised that the pig doesn't seem better yet -- he's only been on it less than 48 hours, and it takes longer than that to see significant improvement from an antibiotic.

Keep feeding him Critical Care. He needs 100 cc of it every day for every 1000 grams he weighs if he's not eating anything else. Give him more if he weighs more than that, less if he weighs less or is eating anything on his on. Feeding him, even force feeding him, is the most important thing you can do. It may be the one thing that keeps him alive.

Syringe him water -- 10-20 cc at a time if he'll take it, several times a day. You can give him some diluted Pedialite, which will give him some electrolytes.

The other thing you can do is give him a probiotic 60-90 minutes after each administration of antibiotic. Bene-Bac is good, and the easiest way to give it is from the syringes that are marked so you can give controlled doses.

I don't see anything in your post that indicates antibiotic intolerance. That usually manifests as uncontrollable, very watery diarrhea.

I'd keep a close eye on him, and if he hasn't improved in another 24 hours, see if your vet will prescribe another, stronger nebulized antibiotic to be given along with the Orbax,t and possibly with a steroid added.

Good luck, and let us know how he gets along.

MoJeanie

Cavy Gazer
Orbax is used for URI's, probably more often than for UTI's. It's a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and appropriate for use in this situation. Is it the right one? That's harder to say, because to determine whether it's effective against whatever organism is causing the problem with your pig, you'd have to collect and isolate the organism, grow it in a lab, and test it against several different antibiotics.

That's not usually done, for several reasons. It's hard, maybe impossible, to get a good sample -- you can't get a guinea pig to cough on demand. It's expensive. Probably most important is that it takes several days, and a guinea pig may not survive an untreated infection long enough to get the results. So they're put on an antibiotic that most often works, and everyone crosses their fingers that it was the right one.

I'm not surprised that the pig doesn't seem better yet -- he's only been on it less than 48 hours, and it takes longer than that to see significant improvement from an antibiotic.

Keep feeding him Critical Care. He needs 100 cc of it every day for every 1000 grams he weighs if he's not eating anything else. Give him more if he weighs more than that, less if he weighs less or is eating anything on his on. Feeding him, even force feeding him, is the most important thing you can do. It may be the one thing that keeps him alive.

Syringe him water -- 10-20 cc at a time if he'll take it, several times a day. You can give him some diluted Pedialite, which will give him some electrolytes.

The other thing you can do is give him a probiotic 60-90 minutes after each administration of antibiotic. Bene-Bac is good, and the easiest way to give it is from the syringes that are marked so you can give controlled doses.

I don't see anything in your post that indicates antibiotic intolerance. That usually manifests as uncontrollable, very watery diarrhea.

I'd keep a close eye on him, and if he hasn't improved in another 24 hours, see if your vet will prescribe another, stronger nebulized antibiotic to be given along with the Orbax,t and possibly with a steroid added.

Good luck, and let us know how he gets along.
Thank you so much for your reply, I was told by the vet to give him 4cc, i had no idea it needed to be 100 a day per 1000g, how do i measure that if im using a syringe? are there any over the counter probiotics i can get or is bene-bac otc?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My pigs have used Orbax in the past. We were told to use it for 21 days, I think. I can't speak on the effectiveness since the situations were a bit different (a case of pneumonia vs heart failure). I would definitely get those xrays if he is not improving. I know it's expensive, but it will give the doctor a better idea of what's going on in there. Can you apply for Carecredit?

You can get Benebac in pet stores, if you're lucky. Petco may carry it, but I know for sure Pet Supplies Plus does. Otherwise, you can get it on Amazon. You may also ask your vet for probiotics. We got a powder from the vet, but it is much easier to use Benebac. You just twist a dial and let the pig take it from the syringe. Most of my pigs loved it.

MoJeanie

Cavy Gazer
im so scared, i was feeding him critical care and gee was rejecting it even when i gently had his head back so i put him back in his cage and now an hour later he's wobbling, completely limp, and when he picks up his head while laying down his whole body shakes and wobbles. i was told it could be aspiration from force feeding but i can swear he hasn't coughed and he didn't seem to have any symptoms when i put him back in his cage. i have him in my arms wrapped warmly i don't know if he's dying or suffered a stroke??

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I would take him to an emergency vet if he is limp or wobbling/shaking when moving around - not a good sign in my experience.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, he may have had a stroke. But emergency vets are really hit or miss with guinea pigs. Especially on weekends, they may be moonlighting small animal vets with no experience with guinea pigs. I'd definitely ask if anyone at the clinic has GP (or at least rabbit) experience before taking him in.

MoJeanie

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, unfortunately he died in my arms three hours later❤. He passed peacefully. I appreciate all help ❤️

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost him.