Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HIII!Thanks for Being Here! Help me think of a NAME.

luvmypigggies

Cavy Slave
:heart:I recently adopted a guinea pig and don't know how much one should weigh. He is about 6 months old.
Also, he is a MALE, can anyone give a list of names for me. His entire body is white, accept for his head which is mostly black besides around his facial features, which are also white. His ears are black. On the left side of his neck, right beside the black hlmet on his head, there is a little scruff of orange. I've been thinking of naming him Gilbert but have recebtly been brought unsure. Respond as quickly as possible!!!

Background Knowledge: I got him at a PetStore a few days ago and already he lets me pet him, feed him carrots and hold him. He, however, is also a bit skittish when it comes to being held but already likes to be pet on my lap! He is SUPER friendly! One problem is that when I pick him up, he panicks, chirps and bites. It's not that bad though, because during floor time, he runs around, and wherever I walk he follows. It is the cutest thing. I try to seem as small as posssible aroung him just so he feels secure. Lastly, he looks so sad once I am out of vegetables for him which makes me feel really mean...Even though I'm doing it so he doesn't get diarhea! I give him lots of snuggles but he SOMETIMES squirms when held... Luv him to bits, and recently, I accidentally taught him circle while saying AWWW! WHOOPS! He might think that's the word for him to turn. I'm going to try teaching him the corresct way!

P.s Sorry for the periodic typos!

load a pic, it would help with naming him! Gilbert is a nice name though :)

my piggies are 7months old i think (their previous owner said they were 6 months when i got them 2.5 weeks ago). i'm not sure how heavy a boar should weigh though.

you're VERY fortunate he's so friendly this fast! however most people will recommend you get a playmate for him if you can, preferably another boar that's younger.

Sometimes if you just get to know the pig, a name seems to jump right out!
As for the weight, guinea pigs tend to have their personal perfect amount. So as long as he's growing and gaining weight, he should be fine. When he's an adult you will be able to see his regular weight.
I'm going to have to search for my list of guinea pig names. Here are the ones I remember:

Dynamite
Rookie
Cosmo
Ace
Buzz
Alexander
Lewis
Jackson
Cooper
Charlie
Samson
Echo
Mojo
Romeo
Rico
(found it lol)
rocky
Blaze
Spaz
Oliver
Jazz
Casper
Jupiter
Pongo
Ziggy
Zero

Aww! Definitely post pics of your handsome piglol
Have you taken him to the vet yet? Pigs from the pet store often get URI's or have mites.
For names, this is my list:

Oliver
Charlie
Mocha
Alfie
Brownie
Fudge
Chester
Darwin
Elvis
Freddie
Ziggy
Theodore ( Theo for short )
Romeo
Oscar
Otis
Ozzy
Nibbles
Midge
Moo
Fuzz
Gus
Fluffy
Nutmeg
Pebbles
Rascal
Snickers
Twix

I hope that gives you ideas! But I do like the name Gilbert :)

What about Kitty? I once had a cat named "Duck" Maybe I am just strange like that :)

Thankyou! So helpful! I've recently been researching the subject of URI, and my gunea pig shows no symptoms. I am so lucky to have him.
Problem: At the very tips of his eyes, I ometimes see a scruff of yellow crust. Is it supposed to surround the eye? He does not wheeze, sneeze, sniff, hunch in a corner, bite, or cough. Only eye boogers at the very tip, is anyone else experiancing this.
Problem: Also, should I remove the pigloo from my guinea pig's floortime. He seemed so panicked and scared when i did, dshing arround, slipping and sloping on the tle floor, I had to put it back-is that the excersize they need or is it bad for thm? Hhe climbs up my pants and follows me everywhere during floor time. XOXOXOX Gilbert! luv you so much!
Problem: My cage is way under curriculum, at 2 sqr. ft. i feel so sorry for him, but my parents can't fit a bigger cage. Because of this. I cuddle at every waking second accept now, give him floor time as frequentl as possible, and cojme with treats to offer ALWAYS! What will happen if my piggy stays in a small cage? :sorry:I am so worried and guilty about this! Will he die of small cage syndrome? will he break his back popcorning? will he feel imprisoned n hs microscopic space?-Oops, reading over that siunds sarcastic... DID NOT MEAN TTHAT WAY! Any way... Answers please...

Problem 1: Keep an eye on him for the next two weeks or so. Pet Stores are notorious for URIs and mites, so if his symptoms increase or his appetite decreases, its time for a vet appointment. Actually, it's a pretty good idea just to go get a check up anyway!

Problem 2: Does he have any other hiding place for floortime? Piggies need a place to hide away to feel most comfortable. At first, he may stay in his pigloo during the entire play time! But as he gets more and more comfortable, he'll come out and explore.

Problem 3: Where is his cage right now? Is there really no place to put a bigger cage? 2 square feet really is too small for a guinea pig. Because they don't use wheels like hamsters, a bigger space is necessary to run around and exercise. Having a cage THAT small is just like living in a litter box. He'll be eating, sleeping, and playing right on top of his poo and pee. He won't die, but he may become depressed, which isn't good either. Imagine living in a closet, and only coming out for a few times a day - that's what your piggie will be living like.

Hi! Gilbert is very small, he is about the size of my hand. Is this normal. Anywho, he seems very healthy and happy in his environment, and always enjoys my company.
Q:Gilbert has a small brown thiing on his nose, i think it'a boogers. Is this a problem?
He shows no other signs of URI
Q: How do I keep my single piggy from becoming depressed?
Q: Can you feed your guinea pig green bell peppers that you had cut an put in a ziploc bag a day ago?
Q: How can I prevent my guinea pig from getting URI?
Q: Howw frequently should i give my guinea pig a bath.
Q: My gunea pig has a bad type of pellet. I'm getting better ones sooon. He has no hay. In about a month, i will give him new, better pellets. I will dry grass from my yard to feed him. I give him All Living Thigs seed pellets. It was in a kit and when I bought it, I toughht it was a good choice. I read and was proven otherwise. Will he do Ok with home made reegular grass hay annd bad pellets for this kmonth? Wiill it be OK or should I get him better pellets NOW. He's been with bad pellets for a month now, and for the firstt 2 weeks of that month, I gave him All Living things Timothy hay. Will he stay alive and healthy within this time? He ests all of his pellets.

You need to give him hay, that is not something that is optional. He needs timothy hay all the time, to keep his teeth the right length and to keep his digestion healthy.

He also needs 1 cup of veggies today, especially bell pepper. 1/8 of a pepper per day will give him his vitamin c. Leaf lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato and small pieces of fruit are also good to feed.

Guinea pigs rarely need baths. If they end up super dirty a bath is necessary, but some memebers don't bathe their pig at all.

You can give him fresh grass from the yard, that's better for him then the dried stuff.

Really you should get the better pellets, seeds and nuts are a choking hazard. They can also have unhealthy colored stuff in them and that's just not good. Make sure your pellets are made from Timothy hay, it should be the first/second ingredient.

As for preventing aURI, you need to keep him healthy. Give him clean water, healthy food, enough vitamin C etc.

I know this isn't what you want to here, but really you should never keep a single piggy. They are very social and nothing compares to same species interactions. You can give him cuddles, but it's not the same as having a buddy to popcorn with, wheek with and sleep beside. You also can't be with him 24/7 like another guinea pig.

Which leads me to information you probably don't want to hear number two, the cage size. 2 sq feet is a very small space. Think about it this way, that cage is his bathroom, kitchen, living room, and gym. At 6 months pigs are rather small, but full grown they can get quiet big and I can tell you right now, he will outgrow that cage.

Piggy Names:

Polka
Spot
Scruff
Panda
Munchie
Charlie
Chester
Mine have been Patches, Kirby, and Peanut:)

Hi!
Its been so long! Anyway, good news, GILBERT is fine. He has some dandruff but it's only on his head. (I think.His body is white, his head is black)He doesnt scratch very ften, and I AM trying to get him some larger space. 28 inch by 32 inch!!!!!! Yay!
Anyway, he is so sweet, but I am running out of bell peppers. Is there any other foods i can feed him alot daily? i feed him 3 cucumber and 1 red lettuce daily. i know it's not PERFECT but I can only buy bell pepper occasionally. HELP. He is also a loner, i play with him lots, but he doesnt seem to like other guinea pigs. BELIEVE me I tried with cage seperation and ALL that. i dont want the other piggies to be hurt and become depressed because of little gilbert. So............ Answers!!! plus, would anyone be willing to donate a showeer curtain for the new cages flooring??????????? It would help. Is dandruff and alot of shedding a BIG problem? What will happen if i don't treat him for aa fungal inffection?

PS i dont know if its a fungal infection. Are the'r any FREE vet guinea pig appointments? List where if therre is. gilberts botto is also VERY drty. Is he sick?:( Hope not. He pooops lots. however, when I see his poop, they are dry and white. when he just poops them, they are dark brown and have slivers of yellow. Ew. but after moments, they are dry and grayish. you can seee under the layer is the same dark brown though.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! It could be dust, but WHO knows?

I'm sorry to say, but if you can't afford a vet appointment and don't have adequate space for him, it's not fair on Gilbert.
He does sound like he needs a vet appointment and even if he seems mostly ok, guinea pigs are very good at hiding illnesses and can go downhill quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.