Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Here's Maisie!

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
I'm here to introduce my new girl, Maisie. I got her from a previous owner who was scared she'd get hurt around her dog and young daughter. They got her from the pound 6 months ago. So all her stuff is quite new. She came with a nice roomy cage. So I'm going to get another one to keep her company soon. I hate to see any species not to have another as a chum.

I've never had a GP before so I'm reading around the forum quite a bit.

I have quite a few pets....Rats, Cats, Ferrets, Hamsters and Gerbils and a Cockateil and 2 Budgies.

Maisie-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcomet to the forums! Your piggy is adorable. :)

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
Thanks!

You may find this an odd question....When I look for a chum for her...Should I look for another long hair or will she get along with a short hair? I ask because I notice in other species they make their friends with the ones that look similar. So I don't want to pick someone that will not make a good cage mate.

AnmlLvr14

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I have three different breeds of guinea pigs, and they get along just fine. So I don't think the type matters. Have fun with your new pig. She is absolutely beautiful. Oh, and you sound like me with the number of pets you have. lol

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
They will get along with any breed, they aren't too picky. Just be sure they're the same sex, and read up on introductions and sexing before you get another.

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
What Kind of Piggie is she?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
She looks like a Peruvian/Abbisian (sp?) mix. Or she's just in the early stages of growing out her hair...

All the same she's adorable! Welcome to GPC. I'm sure you'll love this site as much as I do!

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
Also what is best age wise to pair her with? I'm not sure how old she is. She was rescued from the local Pound and they had no idea what sex or how old.....They are very clue-less to any thing but dogs and cats there. And frankly they aren't too swift with them either. The Humane Society had to pull their association with them several months ago. Anyway the lady I adopted her from had gone to the pound and saw her being man handled by some brat holding her dangling by her throat.:eek: She immediately adopted her and called her Lucky...Lucky to be out of there and Lucky to get away from the evil beast about to take her to his home.

But after six months, her dog, a Rotweiller, was showing aggression to her and her tottler was being too rough with her too and she ran an ad on Craig's List. I didn't see the ad, but I ran an ad trying to find the Bunny that was adopted from the pound, 4 months ago, that had been my second Ferret's lfelong companion:love: . Falkor is 3 years old. It was an off chance that her new owner would see it and answer. I wanted to get them back together. Thought he has a 9 month old chum, Fleurrety, I think he misses her. To make a long story short. The lady saw my ad and offered Lucky to me, if I wanted her. When I saw the picture I fell in love. I never even had any interest in GP before. So she is a first for me.

FYI: On meeting Lucky-Maisie. Falkor nipped her on the nose twice. He sniffed all over and decided this wasn't his bunny and got upset. He didn't so it hard enough to make her cry, but he was talked to about it. Fleurrety, whom I thought would be the Jealous one snuffled her all over , sniffed in her ears, stuck his nose in her mouth and kissed her...Go figure!

My cats...well they looked at her for two seconds and must have thought....."Oh well...Mommy's drug something else weird looking home" :melodrama and walked off.

Can anyone tell her age by this photo?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
You tried to house her with a ferret?? I'm sorry if I misunderstood but that does NOT go well. Animals are species specific animals and housing a guinea pig with another animal is disasterous. Especialy with a carnivour ferret. And now your looking for a bunny for your ferret? You ferret needs another ferret.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Cavies cannot be housed with any other animal besides their own species. Your ferret needs ferret companions, and Maisie needs another cavy to keep her company. Do you know for sure she is female? Your posts were kind of confusing, sorry if I misunderstood. Has she been sexed by an experienced cavy person?

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
You tried to house her with a ferret?? I'm sorry if I misunderstood but that does NOT go well. Animals are species specific animals and housing a guinea pig with another animal is disasterous. Especialy with a carnivour ferret. And now your looking for a bunny for your ferret? You ferret needs another ferret.

:confused: No...You are misunderstanding. :confused:

They share the same household, but they don't run around together. The ferrets are free range, but she will be caged and closely supervised in out times in her own room.

And I'm not looking for A Bunny...But Falkor's companion bunny that he was raised with. I didn't adopt her at the time. And I'm sorry I didn't since he seems to miss her now. He has a ferret friend, Fleurrety. But he's a silly adolescent Fert and, though they get along, I don't think theirs any closeness. They even sleep away from each other alot of the time. Fleurrety was adopted first and Falkor was adopted about 6 weeks later when he showed up at the pound.

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
Cavies cannot be housed with any other animal besides their own species. Your ferret needs ferret companions, and Maisie needs another cavy to keep her company. Do you know for sure she is female? Your posts were kind of confusing, sorry if I misunderstood. Has she been sexed by an experienced cavy person?

Yes she was properly sexed. And I intend on getting her a cage mate as soon as possible.

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
She looks like a Peruvian/Abbisian (sp?) mix. Or she's just in the early stages of growing out her hair...

All the same she's adorable! Welcome to GPC. I'm sure you'll love this site as much as I do!

This isn't a current picture..The owner sent this one,. She has quite a bit more hair now, especially around the face.

So does this make her a pure Abbisian? If her hair was still growing from the time of this picture, does this make her realitively young?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
This isn't a current picture..The owner sent this one,. She has quite a bit more hair now, especially around the face.

So does this make her a pure Abbisian? If her hair was still growing from the time of this picture, does this make her realitively young?

You can't tell an age from a picture. SImple as that. If her hair is still growing it could mean she's young, or she got a hair cut. A peruvian's fur never stops growing.

Here is a picture of a fellow members abbisian: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/13110

I hope jennie_ned doesn't mind.... Abby's come in many different colors and have all different types of cowlicks and rossets.

Now here's a picture of a Peruvian: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12502

Well thats the closest one I could find. Does your piggie look like that?

[edit] does it really matter what kind she is or if she's "pure"? She's adorable all the same.

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
You can't tell an age from a picture. SImple as that. If her hair is still growing it could mean she's young, or she got a hair cut. A peruvian's fur never stops growing.

Here is a picture of a fellow members abbisian: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/13110

I hope jennie_ned doesn't mind.... Abby's come in many different colors and have all different types of cowlicks and rossets.

Now here's a picture of a Peruvian: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12502

Well thats the closest one I could find. Does your piggie look like that?

[edit] does it really matter what kind she is or if she's "pure"? She's adorable all the same.

More like the second picture. But with alot more hair . No cowlicks or rosettes. That makes her Peruvian? I don't care persay about pure bred, but I would like to know for classification purposes.

So she needs a hair cut every so often? Just hand trim? She's quite long bangs now. Should I keep the hair from her face in particular?

FOXFYREANGEL

Cavy Slave
I get the feeling that she is a bit young. The previous owner had not had to trim her any in the 6 months she had her.

I read that their hair can grow up to 20" in length. When does adult hair growth kick in? And how often do you usually have to trim?

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
It's very hard to tell a pigs age, and I definately can't from a picture. She has to be over six months though of course. So, since she is likely older than seven months or so, it would have been best to get a younger pig to pair with an older pig, though you don't seem to have done that.

If her hair is long with rosettes, she is a peruvian. Abbys have shorter hair.

You say the old owner gave your a nice big cage, how big is it? See the main page of this site for housing requirement, but if it is store bought it won't be big enough, period. Especially since you now have 2, it's important to make sure they have enough space, preferably 10.5 square feet.

Breeders and show-ers keep their hair that ridiculously long. Her hair is the same, adult hair, it just keeps growing. Trim it so it won't drag on the ground getting soiled, however often need be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.