Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Her belly is getting big

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
My Clover will not stop eating her Timothy hay and pellets, and is always using her water bottle. My other 2 girls eat far less than her. She won't eat her bell pepper apple bit, or anything else. Feeling her belly isn't really an option as I just got to a point where she doesn't scream when I'm near her. I can see a lot of movement in there tonight. She lays kind of on her side with her leg kicked out. Her belly is getting big

Is she pregnant or just a big eatter?

I thought that she just ate a lot, but I got her about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and there was a litter mate of hers in the cage that is apparently pregnant, much bigger than her.

Are you sure the other two are girls?

She might have gotten pregnant before you got her.

I'm sure they are all girls, I bonded an old female with the younger two, she had been used as a breeder and was given up because of her age. I don't know why she was bred, as she is clearly roan and so muttly, we can't tell what breeds she might be. My black abby and brown teddy youngsters were in a cage with several other guineas, and a rabbit. There was another piggie in the cage that was for sure pregnant, and a boy had gotten in. She is terrified of people so I try to not do too much to her in the way of checking her belly.

I would get her checked out at the Vet just in case...they will be able to determine if she is pregnant or is coming down with some kind of illness.

@KmParis, recommendations for vet visits aren't always a good thing. Most people don't have unlimited funds to take a pig to the vet every time something out of the ordinary happens, and need to save their vet fund money for the really important things. It's one of the reasons we encourage people to post their questions here first, so we can help decide if a vet visit is necessary.

This pig is showing obvious signs of pregnancy, which is a normal thing, and no signs of illness. The only thing a vet can do at this point that the owner can't do is x-ray the pig, which probably won't give any needed extra information.

@kraizy randoms, you should be weighing all your pigs on a regular basis. Besides telling you how much more this one is gaining, it will give you a good indication of a pig's health. Loss of weight is often the first sign of illness, even before other symptoms appear. Also, if a pregnant pig stops gaining, it may be an indication that the pups have died in utero. You can get a kitchen scale at Walmart, Target, Amazon, or Bed, Bath and Beyond for less than $15.

I will buy a scale asap, I was considering taking her to a vet when we first got her, because my daughter noticed her head was always crooked and she was frozen in the corner at all times, but she was simply terrified of her surroundings and people. She is much smaller than her litter mate and a good 3rd of her ear was missing before she came here. My other piggies have warmed up, but I think she came from a different situation, and will take at least several months to be ok with human touch. I will be spending my day researching this site for diet and baby-proofing information, I'm not happy about the belly situation, I don't think it's fair for her to have so much going on already.

A head tilt indicates an ear infection usually. Does she still have the tilt?

She doesn't have that issue anymore luckily. She wasn't eating or moving much, watery eyes, but she seems fine now, other than possibly pregnant. I would take her to the vet if it lasted more than several days after we got her. They have free roam of the room they are in for at least several hours a day with access to their c&c, she runs around, but her popcorning is front legs only.

I'd watch out for runny eyes/nose, crusty eyes/nose, and the head tilt, coming back. Things like URI's and ear infections don't generally go away on their own.

Thanks Princess_Piggie, we are keeping an eye on her, she has been asserting herself against my dominant piggie this last week and a half and acting like the other girls, if we see any signs of her acting like she was when we first brought her home, she will be in the vets office asap. Her urine and poopies look normal, head is straight and very vocal with the other piggies.

Here is a picture of today.Her belly is getting big

Her belly is getting big
I tried to feel for a pelvic bone, but all that I could feel was like a marble in there? Clearly I'm not good at piggie anatomy and she was very angry about the whole situation.

Here is a pic of her today.
[ATTACHed=CONFIG]63420._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Attachments

IMAG0672.jpg
So do you know she's pregnant or are you still trying to determine? Her hair makes it difficult to tell form a picture. She is very pretty!

Her belly is getting big

Sorry @Rywen I didn't see that there were comments on this thread, Here is a picture of Clover today, April 11th. She has gotten wider, and yes, that hair makes the photos difficult. She looks different in real life comparison. I love her face so much. Her nipples are getting big and I can feel where her pelvic bones meet now. It did feel like a ball, but there is maybe a 3 millimeter space there. Her nipples are bigger, I can see and feel movements in there and hear a lot of noises from her belly. Maybe teeth, maybe digestive, but I don't hear that "ticking" from my other 2 girlies. She has grown in the 33 days that I have had her, and that belly has gotten large too. Her attitude has gotten to be less pleasant and she is eating and drinking a lot more than the other 2.

Im not experienced in piggy pregnancy as all mine are boys but she's beautiful! I've always wanted a Abby... and its a girl, and fully black?? Im so jealous!

LOL I'm jealous of myself over her!!!!!!! She is my lovely.

I am also wondering if their privates get swollen before labor? We all think she is pregnant with 1 or 2 babies. Puddles has been checking up under Clovers butt more often in the last few days when she thinks Cuddles won't notice. We are trying to watch for signs without messing with her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.