Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

HELP

Scruffy

Cavy Slave
ok so i bought a silver agouti from a lady in north carolina and she was pregnant. the other day i wasn't home and my mom said that the guinea pig was acting funny. later she looked and saw some blood in the floor. she's gotten skinnier than she was and doesn't look like she has babies in her anymore. i think the guinea pigs may have eaten the babies. i have two other females in with her. but now the silver agouti is staying scrunched together, not stretching out, and standing up so that her butt doesn't touch the floor. the area down there is swollen also. i really don't know whats wrong with her and am hoping someone here can help me out.

HELP

If I were you I would be calling the emergency exotic's vet. She could be having some sort of complications!

My vet here, you have to call and leave a message... In which they will call you back, if you have something like that you could see if you neeed to bring her in.

You need to be careful about this because she could end up dying if she has babies lodged or something.

I'm not sure but it wounds like someone is stuck. Like maybe she had one baby and another is stuck. She needs a vet ASAP.

Get her into the vet asap for a checkup.

Guinea Pigs don't eat their babies. If she had the babies was/is your cage baby proofed? Guinea Pig babies are born fully developed and can run/climb with in hours of being born and get out of the cage. Is this possible?

Your guinea pig needs to see a vet as soon as possible, sounds like one is possibly stuck or she is just starting labor. There can be a small amount of blood discharge just before the birthing. Is she contracting? Since this post is 12 hours after your initial post I hope she has either given birth or you have taken her to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.