Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Help with my Axel please -Diarrhea and pain intermittent

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer
Hi. First of all, thanks for reading and I hope you can help me because I am very worried.
My name is Oscar. I'm from chile.
I have 5 little guinea pigs, my 3-year-old "Axel" gift and his 4 1-year-old children. Axel is my gift and lives in another cage with one of his children. In another cage is "Kiss" with another of his brothers and in a third cage there is another small one.
August 25 I noticed that Kiss's cage had a stronger smell. I realized that I had some diarrhea. I paid attention to the other cages and I could tell that Axel also had the softest poop, the same shape and size as a normal but soft poop like a dough or plasticine.

Checking their hay I could see that there were very small bugs, the size of a point, when photographing them and increasing their size they look like spiders or ticks. (I mentioned this to veterinarians and it seems not to matter to them). The hay was bought by bales, in large quantities and I must mention that this time, one of the bales had a bad smell and the other had some spots.
Anyway, I fed my guinea pigs only with hay and food. Kiss recovered and the next day he was already doing normal poop.

With Axel it didn't work so fast. I had to separate him from his son and he continued to poop for a few days. He began to blow his teeth and thinking that something hurt him I took him to a veterinarian.

Veterinarian 1 tells me that the hay samples I took were not good. One has a bad smell but we don't know why. The other one has mushrooms! I have changed the hay.
He suggested using a probiotic called Flora-Fix Pet and continuing with normal feeding. The vet gave me a probiotic that he was already using in other patients. I mention it because I have doubts if the container was clean. He gave her the first dose and I had to give another 3 doses the following days. After the second dose Axel began to make the poop thicker and yellow at times somewhat soft and sometimes harder. THE VET advised not to give the probiotic anymore. He asks me to take it again. He took an x-ray and it looks like he has gas but not too much. He also took a toothache and told me they were fine.
Axel usually presents soft poop at night or in the morning. During the day, your poop begins to return to normal.

A second veterinarian wanted to reduce his teeth just because he might have some relationship with stomach pain. He also told me that surely a muscle in Axel's anus had stopped working and that I would always have to help him poop. (I don't really think that this is correct since Axel can poop. The problem is when it gets soft, it is hard for him to eliminate that poop, but further back he starts to get regular poop and he can eliminate it without problems) I go with another vet.

A third veterinarian helped me with some advice. He suggested giving Flapex (Simethicone 4%), dipramide (Metroclopramide) to eliminate gas and accelerate bowel movement (for three days). In addition Oxbow Critical Care syringes of 1 ml 4 times a day to support their diet. He also advised me not to give any vegetables until his poop stabilizes.
Axel walked quite well, but on the third day he got the softer poop than on other occasions. I even had to clean his perianal bag because it was dirty.
Over the days I have observed the following: If Axel poops normally, he is very good-natured and cheerful. If it stops pooping, it retracts and places itself in a stooped position. I think it hurts.
When that happens I approached and helped him subtly opening the anus. A relatively soft poop comes out, then one or two more similar ones come out and then it begins to make poop more and more normal. Apparently this causes the pain to diminish, Axel activates and begins to eat and play.
These cycles occur on a daily basis and I have not been able to get Axel to remain with his normal poop.

Another fact is that sometimes I have seen Axel drag his ass, as if something will bother him there or perhaps he is trying to eliminate the soft poop. I've also seen him shake his ass. Sometimes when pooping, Axel makes a very small groan.
Usually sounds are heard in Axel's stomach like bubbles that break (pop pop). I am so worried that my stomach also sounds like this.
As you can see, veterinarians have not been very assertive and, in the place we live, we don't have many options.

I also thought it could be stress or something emotional. For a few days my schedules were very irregular and I have forced Axel to accompany me during those hours (going to bed late and getting up late), but now we have returned to normal on that subject)
We've also spent more time in another house and not where he grew up.

I really love Axel and I want him to be well as soon as possible. It has been days of anguish and a lot of nerve.
Axel is currently eating Timothy stack hay, Mazuri food and water.
If anyone of you could advise me something or share some similar experience, I will thank you very much.

I've put some photographs of Axel and his poops so you can see how different he can poop on a daily basis. I hope not to bother you with the images.

Attachments

IMG_20190910_172800.jpg IMG_20190916_010716.jpg IMG_20190910_114557.jpg IMG_20190917_165148.jpg IMG_20190920_181337.jpg
Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Stick with the third vet -- the first two sound useless.

If he were my pig, I'd want him to have some flagyl (metronidazole). It's quite effective against organisms in the digestive tract, but isn't as hard on the pig as some other antibiotics.

Can you get hold of any BeneBac for small animals? It's a good probiotic that many of us have used for our pigs, and it seems to help.

Keep him off vegetables and fruits until his poop has been firm for a couple of days. And continue with the Oxbow Critical Care.

Good luck with him, and keep us posted on how you both are doing. I'm sorry he's having these problems.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Always good advice from @bpatters!

Having been in a similar situation with a previous cavy, I agree that Flagyl (metronidazole) is probably the best choice. It has worked for my cavies on more than one occasion when other medications didn't seem to be effective.

Insofar as Bene-Bac is concerned, if you can't find it locally, order it from Amazon. The small individual dose tubes are just about useless. The syringe is so much easier to dose as it has markings on the tube and you simply squirt the proper dose into the mouth.

(broken link removed)

I'm sorry that you are having these problems with Axel. It makes it even more difficult when one can't seem to find a good Vet!

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer
Stick with the third vet -- the first two sound useless.

If he were my pig, I'd want him to have some flagyl (metronidazole). It's quite effective against organisms in the digestive tract, but isn't as hard on the pig as some other antibiotics.

Can you get hold of any BeneBac for small animals? It's a good probiotic that many of us have used for our pigs, and it seems to help.

Keep him off vegetables and fruits until his poop has been firm for a couple of days. And continue with the Oxbow Critical Care.

Good luck with him, and keep us posted on how you both are doing. I'm sorry he's having these problems.

Thank you very much for answering. I was checking and I could not find Bene-Bac in Chile. As for the Flagyl, I think it is. Is it a syrup? As for the food. He can eat by himself. Should I give critical care anyway?

Last edited:

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer
Always good advice from @bpatters!

Having been in a similar situation with a previous cavy, I agree that Flagyl (metronidazole) is probably the best choice. It has worked for my cavies on more than one occasion when other medications didn't seem to be effective.

Insofar as Bene-Bac is concerned, if you can't find it locally, order it from Amazon. The small individual dose tubes are just about useless. The syringe is so much easier to dose as it has markings on the tube and you simply squirt the proper dose into the mouth.

(broken link removed)

I'm sorry that you are having these problems with Axel. It makes it even more difficult when one can't seem to find a good Vet!

Thank you very much for the reply. I am trying to find Bene-Bac. In the link you sent me, the seller does not ship to Chile. I think I found the flagyl but should they be administered together?
And, as you say, everything has been difficult by not finding a good veterinarian who can help us so let's say I'm desperate. Thank you for finding you.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I think I found the flagyl but should they be administered together?

I'm going to take a guess at this and say that Flagyl can be administered at any time.......I usually give meds in the morning. I believe that is is recommended for Bene-Bac to be given about an hour after Axel's main meal. Others may be able to give you a more precise answer.

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer
I'm going to take a guess at this and say that Flagyl can be administered at any time.......I usually give meds in the morning. I believe that is is recommended for Bene-Bac to be given about an hour after Axel's main meal. Others may be able to give you a more precise answer.
I think i can find today the Flagyl but the Bene-Bac is difficult to find.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could use another probiotic, but I wouldn't use the one you've got if you think the container you were given wasn't clean.

Plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus can be used. Just crush the tablet and give about 1/4 of it either syringed in a bit of water or sprinkled on his food.

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer
Dear friends. Yesterday we made a Coproproparasuitary to Axel. The result is that it has protozoas Eimeriae Caviae. Knowing that data What can I do?

oscarterapeuta

Cavy Gazer

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Coccidiosis is cured with a 3-day treatment of Baycox (ours was prescribed 0.26ml a day I believe). Take a test after to see if they are cured. Our vet recommended I believe a one-dose followup after ten days if we didn’t do the test. This being said, our pig was actually cured of this very condition by taking Panacur for rabbits one division daily for 18 days. (5 days was recommended but she kept having diarrhoea and the vet said it was safe to keep her on it as it was “just a wormer.” The reason we did the Panacur is it was an emergency situation and we couldn’t get to our Cavy savvy vet. He gave us the Baycox backup in case the Panacur didn’t work. But it did. The first dose - she started eating again and seemed so much better! However, Baycox is the preferred treatment as the second vet we went to was more Cavy savvy. Also this is what Cavy Savvy Guinea Pig Community on Facebook recommends. They have lots of experience using it. We asked Vedra Stanley of the CCT about her continuing diarrhoea (AFTER SHE WAS CLEAR) and she instructed us to use 1/2 teaspoon of activated charcoal powder (taken from broken open tablets) to 1 cup Critical Care or ground pellets a little at mealtimes, think we have her several mouthfuls. She would like it off he stick as she loves it. It was like a miracle for the diarrhoea. . You can use a bit more of the charcoal powder if needed.

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Btw fibreplex is like benebac. Maybe you can get that where you live? But it’s not as important as all of the other steps I emailed you about!

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Got the dosage wrong for helping clear diarrhoea, sorry. Here is my old post:

After ALL tests came back clear, her diarrhoea continued for weeks. She also had mushy poos and clumped together groups of poos. "Poop soup" did not help! Fibreplex did not help! So we got in touch with Vedra Stanley from the Cambridge Cavy Trust (CCT) as we were desperate! She told us to give one half a level teaspoon of activated charcoal powder to 1/2 cup of pellets (or we could use Critical Care) and give with a little water in a syringe at mealtimes for 7-10 days.

We used 2 TB of Critical Care and the rest pellets (grinded for like ten minutes in a food processor) with the 1/2 level teaspoon of activated charcoal powder. We fed 2-3 1ml syringes of the stuff twice a day (you have to cut off the tip of the syringe) . IN TWO DAYS SHE WAS BACK TO NORMAL!! Normal poos for the first time in 4 months! What a godsend! The charcoal apparently kills bad toxins in the gut. We got some in capsule form from Holland & Barrett and broke them open and emptied them to go with the pellet mix, kept the mix in our cupboard with paper towels over and brought a little out to mix with water at mealtimes. Now that she's better, we are going to finish out the week but only give 1.5ml at mealtimes. (Vedra never did say how many ml to give at mealtimes; I should've asked specifically...)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.