Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Help...Urgent...Please

quechua601

Cavy Slave
I just had my pig out for lap time and she started to nibble my finger (her cue that she has to pee) so I got up and went to put her in her cage. As I started to lower her into her cage, about 8 inches above the bottom, she lept into the air and landed. Now she has been coughing - it kind of sounds like she is choking. She has been running around normal and did go to the bathroom fine, but she will still cough. She does it about three times a minute. Does anyone know what this is??? Is she hurt some how from jumping??? Please, any help would be great. Thanks

It's possible she was injured in the fall. Did she land on her face? Did you check her mouth and teeth?

She landed on her feet, not on her face. But I did check her mouth, no blood, her teeth look the same. She did eat a few pellets about 5 minutes ago. She did not cough while eating but did cough a minute ago or so. Her legs are all fine, I cannot see any visible injury. Thanks for asking.

Is the coughing more like a choking sound? Guinea pigs don't usually cough, unless something is stuck.

Yes, it sounds like she is choking on something when she does it. She hasn't done it for 15 minutes, so I hope that is a good sign. She is eating hay right now. I don't think anything is stuck in her throat. She did not eat anything when I had her out.

How odd. Keep a eye on her and if she looks like she is in distress take her and have a vet check her out. 8 inches onto bedding isn't that far of a fall, hopefully she is ok!

I agree with L_J. Keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating, drinking, and moving about normally. If she looks in pain or stops one of the aforementioned activities, take her to the vet for a visit.

Just want to double check, do you have a cavy-savvy vet?

She hasn't done any of the "coughing" now for about 3 hours. I think she will be fine, but I will keep an eye on her. I'm hoping it was an odd coincidence.

I do have a cavy-savvy vet; thanks for asking.

Thank you for all fo your help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.