Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Help me PLEASE!!

RoxieJo

Cavy Slave
I decided to completely rebuild my c&c cage today. I used the connectors the first time around, and since I've seen on here that zip ties are much easier I decided to go with twist ties this time. I broke most of my connectors taking the cage apart. I am now trying to build my new cage and I do not understand how zip ties are better... sure they're easier to connect the grids but how are you supposed to make the cage actually stand up using these things??? I have connected about 20 grids thus far for what will be the base of the cage (using under the base for storage) but the second I let go of this thing it just folds itself all the way down to the floor. I am seriously about to tear my hair out. My pigs have been in their floor time area for 3 hours now while I try to get this freakin' base to actually STAND UP. What is the problem??? I now don't have remotely enough connectors to go back to using them, and my pigs have NO cage at all- PLEASE help me someone!!!

Last edited:
Correction to my above thread- ZIP ties.... not twist ties, I am using zip ties.... sorry

When you mean "twist ties" You dont mean the metal and paper ties that you wrap around plastic bread bags or produce bags, do you? Those will NOT work. Zip ties, Cable ties, etc...are plastic and come in a variety of colors. There is a pic somewhere of how a member uses 8 zip ties per corner/intersection. You have to use a LOT of zip ties to keep it together. I find they will not work on cages where you want a stand or multiple levels. I prefer using both connectors and zip ties. The connecters keep things square and the zip ties keep things tight.

Onetwo- oops... yeah I meant zip ties (twist ties would be pretty hysterical!). Okay, well maybe I'm just not using enough. And I may have to ditch the stand if they don't work for a stand since I don't know of any store I can run to for just connectors and my pigs sure need a cage. Thanks! Really wish I had never started this project.....

You need about three plastic zip ties to connect every grid to the next one to make it stable. They come in different sizes and grades. The large ones are stronger and better.

Could you snap a quick picture of what you have so far, or a drawing of the plan? Mine are sometimes wobbly if I have not thought out enough supports, and I sometimes use wooden dowels to make them more stable. Do you have any wood supports you could use? Even if it is just for tonight, until you can figure out a more sturdy design.

Roxie- you cannot get just the connectors at a store. They sell them online only. There is a great seller on ebay that I have heard is the cheapest. When I was redoing my cage there were some fantastic people on here that shipped me their connectors because they didn't use them. I REALLY don't think my massive cage would have made it without grid connectors... Now my cage is on the floor and the grid connectors help keep it strong for when my kids lean on it...

Roxiejo, so sorry I know it's time consuming. I didn't use connectors the second time I redid my cage. I also have a base out of grids. We overlaped the grids to make it more sturdy. So if I were going to connect 2 together then I would put a third gird in the middle of the 2 grids and zip tie it together. I hope that makes since. I used alot o zip ties, I lost count, I purchased bags of 100 from Walmart and went through like 8-10 bags. You won't need that many, but where the corners of your grids will connect try puting the ties on in a X pattern ( overlapping). I hope this helps. You can check out my page, I have a pic of my cage in my album.

Keep in mind that the coroplast will help give it shape and support as well.

You should use zip ties at least at the top and bottom of every grid you connect. I also have grids as a floor of my cage which gives extra stability and helps keep it square (although I also use connectors as well.)

Roxiejo,

Where did you get your grids from? I have lots of connectors left since I didn't use mine. Let me know if you want me to send them to you. I got most of my grids from Target and used the larger grids for the base and I got a few boxes from Bed Bath and Beyond and although the connectors worked on both girds it was a little tricky, but I will be happy to send them to you!

For 1x2 section put a 1x2 storage horizontally. Sorry if this doesn't make scense.

For example if you have a 2x4 C&C cage then at the bottom you would have 4 1x2 storage sections. . . . That's as good as I can explain it. . . Sorry if I suck . . .
But I have a 2x4 C&C cage for my boar and that's what I did. . . The cage doesn't sag or anything .

Thank you to everyone for your help and feedback- I live near High Point, NC... twice a year they have the International Home Furnishings Market. They are preparing for the next one in April. I contacted a friend who does work setting up furniture market showrooms and he has connectors he is bringing me as we speak!!!! Thank God! My pigs are looking at me like I'm insane.... they've never spent 5 and a half hours in their floortime area before LOL... and I really don't think they're too happy about it :sad:

Good luck tonight putting it together. I did the same thing with my piggies today. I had to change the fleece and had to keep the piggies in the play pin until I could wash and dry the uhaul blanket. I couldn't find another one locally. I forgot that I used the second one to make pee pee pads with. They kept wheeking at me like they were saying " come on woman, what's taking so long!" I'm glad you found some connectors! Don't stay up to late.

Yeah.... after about an hour of floortime my girls are always ready to get back in the cage. All this floortime and me almost in tears over this cage has had them wheeking at me constantly! They will get an extra special salad shortly lol

Awww so sorry Roxie about the cage remodel going. Like they always say about remodel jobs. They always cost twice as much and take 3 times a long as you think. Haha I hope it gets better for you. I know my first few cages were a nightmare. My husband (now ex) was not much help as he kept yelling at me. Now I'm a pro at it and can whip a 2x6 cage with stand in 30 minutes or less... lol you will get the hang of it. Just don't check out the cage pics because you might catch cage remodel fever. Its highly contagious and the only thing that cures the obsessive symptoms is a complete cage remodel. Believe me it takes days/weeks to get better... lol

I hope I didn't spur the remodel. Hope you get it up soon.

My husband (now ex) was not much help as he kept yelling at me. Now I'm a pro at it and can whip a 2x6 cage with stand in 30 minutes or less... lol

Ha- my husband actually built the whole cage the first time around- I did the decor (fleece, beds, etc.). I think I overestimated my construction abilities! It is under control now and looks pretty decent, but I expected it to be done in 2 hours (not the 9 it ended up taking!). I'm glad my girls like it cause I will not be remodeling again anytime soon lol

Good for you RoxieJo !! Yippee it's DONE !

Yeah...I had my husband help me ( big mistake) put the cage together and he was completely exasperated ! ( understandably though, it took us many many hours because the darn connectors that come with it were incredibly difficult to get on/work with!!) I plan to re-build my cage too..and this time, I too will be doing it all by myself--but in increments. I just hope I do a decent job and that my back holds up. I have a very bad back AND I am overweight on top of it. Kudo's to you RoxieJo, YOU DID IT !!! :melodrama

P.S. I can't wait to see the new pic's !!:)

In my cage post I did all but the coroplast. My fiancé did it cause last time I used a box cutter I needed stitches. But yes I did like 90% of the massive cage alone while he worked on a website (home business we host and buildsites).

Glad your getting it together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.