Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Help! Guinea pig is so sick all of a sudden?

Histoire17

Cavy Slave
I'm going to the vet at 8am tomorrow, with an emergency visit, but I'm so scared my little Betty will die tonight. :(

Betty is a 1 year old black and white Abyssinian and lives in a large pet store cage (the equivalent to a 2x4, but I was and still plan on making the switch to a C&C) with her sister, Wilma. Betty was extremely small as a baby, and hasn't grown much since she was little. Recently (within the past month), Betty started losing her hair in clumps, with crust at the surface. Wilma does not and has never had this problem. My vet said that it was a reaction to the bedding that I was using, so I ordered fleece, and all of the things that go with it. While I was waiting for this to arrive (it still has yet to), I began to use CareFresh again. Betty's hair has been growing back, but her skin is still SEVERELY dry (thick, hard and cracked). The vet attributed it to "being winter" and I thought it would go back to normal when the weather stopped being so "wintery".

8 days ago, a person I'm very close to had to have a c-section, so I stayed with them through their entire stay (which was the 8 days). I fed and watered my piggies as normal, and petted them every day, but I didn't hold them much or let them run, as I thought they'd be okay for a few days (I completely regret that now).

Tonight, after catching up on sleeping, I visited my piggies and noticed that Betty was walking strange. She greeted me by jumping on her hind legs and putting her front paws on the cage, like she always does. But when I gave them fresh hay, she jumped on it, and couldn't move very well. At first, I thought she was popcorning, which she does almost every time they get hay, but she wound up dragging her legs across the cage. I screamed for help, and asked if anything had happened. Nothing had, but she was still acting weird. I petted all of her paws to see if she had broken anything, and when I touched her front left paw, she cried (which broke my heart!). I picked her up, and she cried a lot more. Within the past 8 days, Betty's stomach got crusty and dried like her back, and she seems to have lost a little weight, despite eating a full dish of food on her own. Her back kind of wrinkled up, and it's so hard. :( My poor Betty; I must sound like a horrible owner. Betty & Wilma don't like eating with me in the room (not sure why), so I left to see if they would eat. I'm so scared she's going to die. After googling it, I'm pretty sure it's a severe case of fungus (it's gotten SO bad in the past week, I can't believe I didn't know). If it's really bad, will she still be able to be treated? Help!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for her safe and swift recovery. Keep us posted.

I will keep you and Betty in my prayers, please keep us posted!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.