Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet HELP! Guinea pig could have lice?

The three replies above your last post (including mine) already told you it was unsafe. So did the guinealynx link you were given.

Okay, I don't know if you didn't understand what I just posted but I DID NOT log onto here & see the replies until AFTER I used it. On the guinea lynx site where it mentions treatment for lice, I did not read anything about pyrethrin.

On the guinea lynx site where it mentions treatment for lice, I did not read anything about pyrethrin.

Neither did I.
Sorry but there is little point is directing someone to a reference that just says "Avoid flea and tick powders and shampoos -- many contain pesticides that are dangerous for cavies". This gives no useful information at all - other than 'because we say so'.

Certainly in UK sprays and shampoos containing pyrethrins are used frequently in the treatment of lice in guinea pigs. Is there any possibility that people are confusing pyrethrins with the synthetic pyrethroids/permethrin ?

Can you please produce some proper published evidence to say that pyrethrins are toxic to pigs in any amount (not the same as saying that pyrethrins are toxic in overdose/incorrect treatment as are many things in this world) as otherwise I see no reason why i should not continue using the spray and shampoos that I have used without any problem whatsoever for many years.

Neither did I.
Sorry but there is little point is directing someone to a reference that just says "Avoid flea and tick powders and shampoos -- many contain pesticides that are dangerous for cavies". This gives no useful information at all - other than 'because we say so'.

Certainly in UK sprays and shampoos containing pyrethrins are used frequently in the treatment of lice in guinea pigs. Is there any possibility that people are confusing pyrethrins with the synthetic pyrethroids/permethrin ?

Can you please produce some proper published evidence to say that pyrethrins are toxic to pigs in any amount (not the same as saying that pyrethrins are toxic in overdose/incorrect treatment as are many things in this world) as otherwise I see no reason why i should not continue using the spray and shampoos that I have used without any problem whatsoever for many years.

I was wondering the same thing... permethrin can be toxic in large amounts so I'm wondering if people are mixing the two up. I have not found any valid research indicating or suggesting that pyrethrins are harmful to animals...only PERMETHRIN. I searched for hours looking for creditable research on pyrethrins and all it said was that they are not always as successful as other treatments are. It also made me wonder that if they were harmful to animals then the distributors of the sprays would be having to deal with a lot of lawsuits for harm or death of an animal and the sprays would most likely be taken off the shelf.

Hartz products have killed animals yet they are still on the shelves.

Pyrethins are insecticides .. while they may kill parasites, they may also kill your pet esp. a self-grooming pet like a guinea pig.

This is a very interesting discussion. I have never used any types of sprays on my guinea pigs. I've heard that some flea treatments have burned the skin of guinea pigs and are very dangerous. I haven't heard as much about lice treatments other than Advantage. I work with someone whose guinea pigs had lice and she told me her vet recommended a spray. I told her to stay away from the sprays. I'd be interested in knowing more about pyrethrin, too, and wonder if it's in other products used on guinea pigs.

I recommend you post your question on Guinea Lynx about the use of permethrins and pyrethrins.

Hartz products have killed animals

Sorry, but living in UK “Hartz products” doesn’t mean much (many “products”‘ could kill an animal...automoblies, ice axes, medications?) Do we have a chemical name for their active ingredients? Do they contain pyrethrins, synthetic pyrethroids i.e permethrim or some other insecticidal compound?
...she told me her vet recommended a spray. I told her to stay away from the sprays

Right; you told your friend to ignore a qualified vet’s advice based on what you had read on an internet forum.
I recommend you post your question on Guinea Lynx about the use of permethrins and pyrethrins.
A very good idea; please make sure that your question and their answers distinguish between the natural chrysanthemum extract and synthetic pyrethroids.

Sorry, but living in UK “Hartz products” doesn’t mean much (many “products”‘ could kill an animal...automoblies, ice axes, medications?) Do we have a chemical name for their active ingredients? Do they contain pyrethrins, synthetic pyrethroids i.e permethrim or some other insecticidal compound?
Living in the US, many vets do not recommend hartz products. And yes their flea and tic products have killed many dogs and cats. People continue to be ignorant to the dangers and keep buying the product.

Right; you told your friend to ignore a qualified vet’s advice based on what you had read on an internet forum.
Qualified in what way? For dogs and cats? My vet that is qualified in exotics would not recommend sprays, my vet who qualified in seeing dogs and cats would recommend a spray because they just don't know any better even though they are a qualified vet.

Also that information about not using sprays is not just in the forum posted by members but on guinealynx as well. Which is pretty darn credible.

My quotes are all messed up and not working properly. Sorry that you'll have to sift through that post. I'm going to e-mail T.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.