Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Help for fleece newbie

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody. I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of 'do it yourself' fleece cages. Not piggy bedspreads or fleece flippers, just say pieces of fleece you got at michaels or something. I am in the process of trying to switch from paper and I really know nothing about the fleece or how it even goes in/stays in the cage, cleaning, where does one put the hay, what about the tonnnssss of poop everyday? etc etc :) if anyone has any advice I would much appreciate.Thanks!

ficklewinds

Cavy Slave
I don't have any videos or pictures (yet) of my personal cage, but this is what I do and it's working extremely well.

Joann's and Hobby Lobby had a sale on fleece recently so I stocked up on about 3 yards each of 4 different prints (I have a 2x5 cage and used the excess fleece to make pee pads and lap pads). I use wood pellets I buy at tractor supply as my absorbent layer on the coroplast and then cut the fleece to size and lay it on top. I leave it wide enough on the sides to fold over the coroplast and tuck under although the grids actually keep it in place pretty well. I use binder clips in a few places where the coroplast leaves a bit of a wider gap with the grids. After I add in hideys, toys, and the pigs run on it, it actually flattens down pretty well. Once a day I vacuum or sweep up the poos while the piggies have floor/cuddle time, add all their stuff back and put them back in before bed. Once a week I remove the fleece, stir the pellets to mix in the sawdust, and replace with a new fleece print while the other washes. I wash the fleece (and all their fleece accessories) in hot water with no scent detergent and vinegar. Cage cleaning process takes no more than 15 minutes or less most days. The wood pellets only need to be changed out at least every 8 weeks, but I've read some people go longer. I've used mine for 2 weeks now and no smell and no fuss. They've been pretty amazing.

As for hay - I have the piggy party patio and a kitchen insert. I line the cavy kitchen with uncovered wood pellets and then put down copious amounts of hay on top of the pellets, then each piggy has his own bowl in an opposite corner full of food pellets. Right now they share veggies out of one giant ceramic bowl because Boo only eats veggies if he sees Remi eat them (silly pigs). No hay ends up on the fleece and stays contained to the patio/kitchen area. I spot clean there and change out the pellets as needed. Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky piggy owners whose pigs exclusively poo and pee in the kitchen area. My boys go everywhere LOL. My kitchen area is even covered, but nope.

I very briefly used paper bedding in the kitchen. Hated it and quickly went back to pellets.

Hope that helps a little. My cage is in my bedroom and I just don't have any good angles to take a decent picture without showing off most of the room. The fleece is seriously easy to use. I have a midwest cage in my hubby's man cave that the piggies use sometimes when we are out there and I made a uhaul/fleece liner for it that is also working very well. I just take it out, shake it off outside, and wash it once a week. It doesn't smell, but they aren't in it that much either to do more than poo a few times and pee.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
I am a fleece newbie as well. I found wood pellets locally finally and have just put together my 2x6 cage (photo below). I ordered fleece from Joann's fabrics (3 yards) of two different patterns. I can't remember how wide the fleece was but there isn't an option for width. I washed the fleece once before putting it in but water and pee are beading so I need to wash the fleece a couple more times as suggested in another thread. I didn't understand the need to wash it multiple times at first but now I do, you don't want the liquid to bead on the top you want it to go directly through so the top stays dryer for the piggies. I didn't cut my fleece at all for the 2x6 cage. The one side of the cage has the higher coroplast (I think it's 8 inches?). If you have a smaller cage you'll need to trim it. I put the wood pellets down in the cage and in the kitchen and then layed out the fleece on top and clipped it to the sides. It fits almost perfectly. I will probably trim it a bit on the ends but I really don't need to. I can't express enough how much I love having the "kitchen" and my make shift cover for it. the majority of the poop is in the kitchen now so it makes the clean up much faster. so from one newbie to another - give it a try you'll probably really like it! :)
Help for fleece newbie

ficklewinds

Cavy Slave
Ahh, yes, FionaMae - forgot to add about the pre-washing! Most of my fleece took at least three washes, a few up to 5, before it started wicking enough for me to use it. Just plop it in the washer on hot water settings, use plain no softener added detergent ( I use All free and clear), vinegar in your rinse, and then dry. You have to do the complete cycle. Wash, vinegar rinse, dry - 3 times or more. Fleece actually drys really fast so it wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be. My washer has a sanitary cycle that gets really hot, although I don't think its necessary to go super hot.

speedskating

Cavy Slave
I buy my fleece from either JoAnn's or Michaels. Then I just lay it on top of 2-3 different layers of towels. I usually change the fleece and towels every 3 days and spot clean twice a day.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
is it more economical in the long run than paper? I am in a position today to either get a big bag of paper or get some fleece at Michaels (joanns isnt near me) ...the cage is probably going to be 2x5 when we get finished MAYBE 2x4...so how much should i get do yall think? Im not even sure I have enough old towels for 2-3 layers lol most of my towels are ones I use. Is the big bag of paper usually enough to fill a cage that big or what to do here lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is more expensive up front, but is far cheaper in the long run.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
How many yards for a 2x5? It's 4 something a yard at Michaels so should only be $20-30? And the biggest bag of carefresh is like 25 so that's why I thought about changing it today. Bc I can do either...I'm just worried about poos and hay in the washer

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can't you just measure what you want? Each grid is 14 inches long. There are 36 inches in a yard. This is third grade math.

Fleece comes in different widths. If you ask at the fabric store, they can tell you how wide it is, but 36", 54",and 60" are common widths.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
Well sorry I didn't know if there was some standard thing they go by.....

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Don't stress PB. I used to sew professionally and my first cut I did the math wrong and ended up with not enough lol.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
I got 3 yards for our 2x5 cage so we'll see...I'm on my 3rd dry now :)

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Sorry to drop in on ya thread, but im also new to fleece ( well for guineas ) could you please explain what the wood pellets are? Im in Australia and im 100% sure they will be called something different or not even a available here.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Sorry to drop in on ya thread, but im also new to fleece ( well for guineas ) could you please explain what the wood pellets are? Im in Australia and im 100% sure they will be called something different or not even a available here.

Hi Ninja,

Wood pellets are compacted wood primarily used in wood burning stove for heat or also used in horse stalls.

Here is a video

[video=youtube_share;zgk6jPJ6JhI]https://youtu.be/zgk6jPJ6JhI[/video]

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
@CavieGuy Oh awesomeness cheers. Thats gonna be much better than newspapers and towels :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Ninja_N_Pinky, if you can even find them, you have to make sure they don't have a strong aromatic smell. The volatile oils in evergreen-type trees can cause lung and liver damage.

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Ok thanks, ill keep that in mind. Ive been on the google hunt and few places sell wood pellets :)

2boops

Cavy Slave
Whenever I go to Walmart I usually pick up any fleece remnants that are marked down. You could make stuff with that as well.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.