Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Im new here and I have five Guinea pigs.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
f17ed5db7f894fdb9b2da1d29329ec61.jpg

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness you have some very adorable guinea pigs! Do you happen to have a story about the five of them?

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
Yes I do lol. One day I decided to get these two cute little guinea pigs at pet smart. My mom and my sisters and I were looking at the guinea pig with brown/black/white patches. And we pick her as soon as we saw her. And named her, "Patches." ♥
Then Me and my sister wanted to also buy one more cute guinea pig. My sister wanted the white one, since the last we went to pet shop. There was a big white guinea pig that had a story. She was brought back to pet smart 3 times. And me and my sisters were sad. We promise that the next time we come back. We're going to take her. But she wasn't there someone had brought her a week ago. We were happy that they kept her. It also turned out before she left. She had a baby guinea pig that looked the same as her. That moment I knew we had to took her with us too. ♥
ab0e225557d778f03b12fde73819c5c5.jpg

Here the picture of the two cute girls we brought. ♥

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
The one in the first picture, that is standing next to Patches. Is the Dad of the baby Guinea pigs. When I brought him at a pet shop called pet supplies. I thought he was a girl. Since I didn't know he was boy. That day I begged my mom if we could get him. At time I didn't know he was a boy. After a week. When he started to show male behavior. After that we choose to name him Monkey. Before when knew it He had gotten the two pregnant. Here a picture of Monkey with Alice and their Son Oreo ♥.
31692038516ce072d3956fd7fbee48e3.jpg

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
At time Alice was the first to have her baby. Alice only had one baby. Here a photo of Oreo first day.♥ he was shy ,so he went under his mother Alice.
929794617c03a5e5a3b5a016ccb583eb.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you had Monkey neutered? Or is he separated from the females?

Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
From there Alice and Oreo had been separate from Monkey and Patches. Until Oreo becomes 3 weeks old, which is when he will no longer need milk from Alice. Also so Alice could teach Oreo how to eat solid foods.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
Then one week later patches had her babies. My mother was helping and was watching Patches that whole night and Morning. Patches had five guinea pigs babies, but sadly two didn't make it. The other three did. I started to cry , because my mom and I we're trying to keep the two heart's to keep beating. But they passed away in our hands. At the same time we were glad that the other three stay alive and still are today. For Monkey and Oreo, they were given to a new owner my boyfriend. He wanted to keep them since it will be his first time to have guinea pigs. I will be able to visit them on weekends. Here a photo of them now.♥
82a1631711c3ae349ccea750a07b21fc.jpg

This is Oreo and Monkey ♥

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
Have you had Monkey neutered? Or is he separated from the females?

Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high.
No after Alice and patches had there babies. We had given Monkey and Alice baby Oreo Away. While we waited for Oreo to be one month old. Moneky was put separate from the girls.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not I followed who's male and who's female, but if your boyfriend has a mixed pair, please, please, please separate them. You've already found out the hard way about the death rate. You don't want to lose a sow also.

Guinea pigs are also susceptible to a number of painful, possibly fatal, genetic disease. They should never be deliberately bred. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without ever purposefully allowing a sow to get pregnant.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
I'm not I followed who's male and who's female, but if your boyfriend has a mixed pair, please, please, please separate them. You've already found out the hard way about the death rate. You don't want to lose a sow also.

Guinea pigs are also susceptible to a number of painful, possibly fatal, genetic disease. They should never be deliberately bred. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without ever purposefully allowing a sow to get pregnant.
I know thank you for your concerns. And the pairs my boyfriend are both boys. I had did research on the different between girls and boy guinea pigs. When Alice had her baby. I had to wait 3 weeks to tell if it was a girl or a boy. Oreo was boy. That's why I paired him with his father.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
Patches and Alice were brought together at Pet smart. Alice was 3months older then Patches. Moneky was brought at a different pet store. He was 6 or 7 months when I got I believe. When I went back to the pet store to tell them it was a boy. They told me that there pet store don't know how to tell the difference between a girl or a boy guinea pig. Since they don't a person there who knows about guinea Pigs males or females.

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
With Patches babies I had also separate them into different cages. I just have to find a owner for the two baby boys Flippy and Dashy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, you've learned the hard way that pet store employees often know less than nothing about guinea pigs.

But if you've got questions, see www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Your piggies are so cute all lined up like that. I just read another post by you, but apparently I misunderstood, I thought you had just adopted Flippy and Dashy

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
Sorry about that, my sisters were playing with my phone 😖

NessaChan

Cavy Slave
I was trying to delete the post. So no one will get the wrong idea.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome, it sounds like you have had quite a year!

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
They're so adorable! I made the same mistake not adopting, but, i've learnt now. My favourite looking one out of the bunch is Patches!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.