Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello i am new to this forum and could really use some help

mandybecky

Cavy Gazer
i had a male boar and hes about 4 years old i got him 2 new males both about 2-3 months old i have just checked on them and thier is a baby guinea pig in thier i need advice on what to do next i have seperated all of them and found blood on one have put the baby in with who was bleeding (belive to be mother) and they are doing well what should i be starting to do next

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Flip them over and make absolutely sure which gender is which. We can help you with sexing if you post pictures.

The baby needs to stay with the mother in a separate cage where the males can't get to them. If the other two are definitely males, they can be together.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should turn them ALL over and compare their private parts. Separate the males from the females, and put the baby with the mother and any other female.

The mother is no doubt pregnant again -- she would have been bred less than half an hour after giving birth. That's called back-breeding, and is VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. Make sure she gets a high quality hay pellet (if you're in the U.S., KMS (order online from (broken link removed)) or Oxbow Cavy Performance would be best for her. Make sure she has a good grass hay (timothy, meadow, orchard, blue, or brome), and a good assortment of vegetables (see https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often).

She'll definitely need a good source of vitamin C. Bell peppers are excellent for that, but you might want to consider a supplement. She needs 30-50 mg. of vitamin C per day. Don't put it in the water bottle -- it degrades immediately in the presence of light. If you can find a children's plain vitamin C tablet, pigs often like those. You can cut the pill as necessary to get the right dose.

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Oh No! That must have been quite the surprise for you. Definitely flip them over and check genders. The baby will need to nurse from mom so make sure they are together. Babies need to be separated at 21 days if male to ensure they don't breed with mom. I would also recommend weighing the baby daily (a good practice for all pigs) to make sure baby is growing and gaining weight, and mom isn't losing a ton either. I had a baby once and he doubled his weight overnight when I rescued him because he wasn't being fed any hay or veggies. Babies can have unlimited high quality pellets, should always have access to hay, and will eat veggies right along side mom.

Fay

Cavy Slave

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome. Good luck there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.