Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Hay Rack and ramp

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Hello! So im gonna make a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft, the front is going to have wall made from plexiglass, but im curious of one thing, i would like to do the... hay racks, but curious as of how i would use a grid to make it, also, i saw someone use a metal utensil organizer, is there any other ways i could make a hay rack? one that it would be easy to put hay in there, take it out of the habitat with ease,? any help is appreciated c:

Also, i would like to make a ramp out of a grid, i know you bend it like a U, only its.. upside down o_O *if that makes sense LOL* and then put a book cover on it, I understand it needs to be a jumbo, but im curious of how often those need to be replaced? thanks again c:

~Uchiha, Mickey, and Skae~ (o.o im Skae lol)

Sunny

Cavy Slave
For a ramp you would need more than just a book cover on a grid. A piece of coroplast over bottom of the grid, then a book cover, may work. Not too sure, though, as I have never used a grid for a ramp. All of the ramps I have made were from straight coroplast with an old t-shirt sewed on it for grip. You could also use fleece.

I have bent grids for hay racks, though. All you do is find the joint so you know which way to bend, then put a foot on one end of it and pull! It should bend. Then you can attach it to a grid and stuff with hay!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Book covers need to be replaced when needed. and make sure you line the ramp with chorotherm!

As for hay racks, you bend a grid into a V shape, and attach it to the cage with zip ties. You can also cut a peice of chorotherm to line the very bottom of this as well.
Someone on here uses a shower caddy. I use a pile on the floor :p

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Book covers need to be replaced when needed. and make sure you line the ramp with chorotherm!

As for hay racks, you bend a grid into a V shape, and attach it to the cage with zip ties. You can also cut a peice of chorotherm to line the very bottom of this as well.
Someone on here uses a shower caddy. I use a pile on the floor :p

o_O Im sorry, but whats chorotherm?...

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Sory. Its choroplast. I always knew it as chorotherm so thats what I say :p

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I attach the bent grid to a piece of coroplast with zip ties and set that in the cage, clipping it to the cage. It keeps the hay from falling out. I also use coroplast on the bottom to block it off. Just this past week end I made two new ones and took out various pieces of metal to make wider holes, from the bottom up 4 holes, around the whole grid. I did use a dremel to smooth out the edges.

rayvensmoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Also, i would like to make a ramp out of a grid, i know you bend it like a U, only its.. upside down o_O *if that makes sense LOL* and then put a book cover on it, I understand it needs to be a jumbo, but im curious of how often those need to be replaced? thanks again c:

~Uchiha, Mickey, and Skae~ (o.o im Skae lol)

A book cover may not provide enough traction or thickness so piggy paws don't fall through the grid holes...I use strips of U-Haul blanket as the base of my ramp, not pretty but the girls can scramble up and down with no issues as it's thick and sturdy enough and also provides great traction. It is wide enough to go up the sides of the ramp and long enough that I can tuck it under the coroplast of the loft so it doesn't slip around. I sweep it daily (messy girls!) and change it out weekly, throw it in the wash with other piggy laundry. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.