Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Has anyone tried corn cob bedding under fleece?

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
Our local Tractor Supply Store had this in big 40 lb bags. My only choice was either this corn cob bedding or PINE wood pellets. I got the pine this time (It's currently airing out in the garage in a huge cardboard box before I put it in the GP cage). But I was wondering if corn cob bedding would work? Seems to me like it wouldn't be very absorbent.

thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've never tried corn cob bedding, but I have tried airing out Tractor Supply pine pellets, and it takes FOREVER, like months. You can't use them if they've got a strong pine odor.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
DAMN. well then I'm not sure where else I can get inexpensive pellets for my bedding. Last time I went the hardwood route and it was $19/40lb bag. The pine was $5.99/40lb.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I know you gave me the link of the pellets you used before, but can you tell me where you buy then? I think you're in Houston and I'm in Austin so maybe I can find a similar store. Or worst case, I'll day trip to Houston to stock up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use TerrAmigo horse stall bedding. It's pine, but with very minimal odor, and the odor dissipates pretty quickly after they're opened. It's about $7 a bag.

I get mine at Steinhauser's Feed Store in Alvin. They last a LONG time. I put about four inches in the bottom and just stir them about every three weeks or so. I haven't replaced them in several months. I do use a thin layer of fleece over them, just because it's easier to corral the poop and hay.

You might contact TerrAmigo and find out if someone in your area carries them.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
thank you for that info. I just checked, and the closest distributor that carries TerrAmigo to me is Steinhauser's! It's probably 1hr 40 minutes drive for me though.

I was wondering if putting baking soda on the pine pellets would help absorb the smell while I'm letting it air out? I guess worst case I buy another bag of the $20 hardwood pellets for now...

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
I found another feed supply place in Austin that carries different products. Any idea what to look for that makes pine pellets lower odor?

(broken link removed)

I'm about to have some time off work, I might make a trip down and check them out regardless. Just curious to know what causes the odor and how to avoid it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baking soda won't help. The problem is the aromatic phenols (organic alcohols) in the pine, and they can cause lung and liver problems.

Most places will cut a small hole in a sack of pellets and let you smell them before you buy.

If you do wind up coming to Steinhauser's, a dozen bags will last you well over a year.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
May I ask if the wood pellets are used alone or covered with fleece? If it's covered with fleece is it single fleece or fleece plus an absorbent material. I use fleece liners and have a kitchen with aspen shavings. I would love to decrease the maintenance of cage care and spend more time with my guinea pigs. It sounds like it would be heavy too. I might want to try this.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine is a single layer of thin fleece over the pellets, which are the absorbent layer.

Pellets are heavy, but a grid stand will hold them just fine if you use grid connectors and then ziptie the corners together.

Someone on here uses the pellets alone, but I can't remember who. The only reason I don't do that is that the pigs drag their food out of the dishes, and I'm not sure that eating the pieces of pellets that adhere to the food is a good idea. But the TerrAmigo pellets I use are crushed, not whole pellets -- it might not be a problem with pellets that have been extruded.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
I really can't imagine using the pellets alone without fleece because of the amount of poop that would get mixed in with the pellets. The pellets will last for weeks and weeks so having that much poop collect in with the pellets seems counter-intuitive to me.

I saw a video of someone who uses pellets under fleece who just "broke up" all the wet spots and mixed up the pellets once/week as part of cage cleaning, then he changed 100% of the pellets at 8 weeks. Instead I've been removing the pee clumps since they are limited to the corners for the most part, and as a result, I don't know that I'll ever actually have to change 100% of the pellets.
@bpatters - I think i'll have to plan a road trip to Steinhauser's!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can just stir the poop into the pellets. They'll dehydrate very quickly.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
don't they have an odor still though? (I'm new to this, thanks!!)

Also @bpatters or anyone else...have you tried this brand of pine pellets? Is the odor too strong on this one?

bedding.jpg

Americas Choice Bedding Pellets. It doesn't actually say "PINE" on the bag, but it does say kiln dried. I might try to drive down to South Austin next week to check this one out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks like a possibility. Take some duct tape with you, and ask a clerk to stick a hole in it to let you sample the pellets, then tape the hole up.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I use these hardwood pellets from Lowe's, there is no discernible odor, they work great, I love them. I'm not sure if you can get them or even if there is a Lowe's in your area, but just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Good luck in your search :).

(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those are mostly an item in the northern states. In Texas, you might get them in January and February, but that's about all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.