Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Hard lump on rear end, soft lump on neck, soft stool/diarrhea

alerz

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I am very concerned about my 3 year old guinea pig, Dudley. About 3 weeks ago, I found a very hard "lump" on his rear end and brought him to the vet right away, although his behavior did not change at all. The vet aspirated the lump and blood squirted out of the hole immediately. He aspirated in another spot on the lump to double check it, and again, blood squirted out. He said that most likely this meant the lump was not fatty and probably a tumor, but sent us home with oral antibiotics (Trimethoprim-Sulfa) and suggested to do warm compresses, on the off chance that the lump was an abscess. We followed the doctor's orders, but nothing changed.

Since then, his poops have softened quite a bit and sometimes it seems he is on the verge of having diarrhea. The lump on his rear has not changed, but now it seems he is developing another lump on his chin, which is very soft to the touch. He also seems to have a lot of extra skin around his chin area now too. I'm not really sure, but it looks like he may be developing lumps on his sides as well.

Even so, his behavior has stayed basically the same, except that he is sleeping in areas where he never really had prior. He eats the same and runs around during floor time as usual.

At the last vet visit, the doctor said that they could do an x-ray, but they would have to recommend us to a vet in Maryland (we live in PA) who specializes in small animal surgery. He also said that the likelihood of Dudley surviving the removal of the hard tumor was quite low, considering how much it bled from a small needle-sized hole. :(

I don't have much hope for the hard lump, but any suggestions or information about the soft lump is appreciated, along with the soft stool. I'm thinking the lump may be interfering with his digestive tract.

If it helps, we just switched from timothy to orchard grass (both from Kleenmama's), since they didn't have any timothy available. I've read a little about abscesses forming under the chin from coarse hay?

Thanks in advance.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.