Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs in the cold ??

HenrytheGP

Cavy Gazer
So I'm part of that Michigan power outage and it's 58 degrees in my house until Sunday or Saturday. I have a space heater but I can't use it (because power is out obviously) I'm afraid my guinea pig will freeze. My questions are : can guinea pigs stand 58 (possibly lower later) degrees without freezing to death? If not : will putting a blanket over his cage help? It's a very large c and c cage and it has grids so I'm not sure how efficient that will be at all. Thanks in advance !!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He can stay warmer in something smaller. If he sleeps in a hidey of some sort, you might arrange some covering over it to sort of insulate it. If you've got some fleece, drape some across the corners of the cage and put a blanket over that end. Make some extra hideys out of small cardboard boxes (no lid, turn them upside down and cut one hole in it). Any small area where his body heat will help keep it warm will make it more pleasant for him.

He'll probably be ok. Guinea pigs originated in the Andes Mountains, and they do better in cold weather than in hot. We've had one pig on here that survived several nights outside in the snow and ice in zero degree weather.

HenrytheGP

Cavy Gazer
He can stay warmer in something smaller. If he sleeps in a hidey of some sort, you might arrange some covering over it to sort of insulate it. If you've got some fleece, drape some across the corners of the cage and put a blanket over that end. Make some extra hideys out of small cardboard boxes (no lid, turn them upside down and cut one hole in it). Any small area where his body heat will help keep it warm will make it more pleasant for him.

He'll probably be ok. Guinea pigs originated in the Andes Mountains, and they do better in cold weather than in hot. We've had one pig on here that survived several nights outside in the snow and ice in zero degree weather.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Did it all work out okay for the duration of the power outage? Did you get extra cuddle time with your guinea pig? Our Lucy loves cuddling with us and blankets.

HenrytheGP

Cavy Gazer
Did it all work out okay for the duration of the power outage? Did you get extra cuddle time with your guinea pig? Our Lucy loves cuddling with us and blankets.

The power outage lasted longer than expected so We ended up going to my grandmas and he stayed there in his small cage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.