Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs hide during floor time?

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I am new to this Forum, and recently just got two wonderful girls (around a week ago). I have already started giving them floor time, but I'm concerned that they only hide when I'm there with them. Should I discontinue floor time or just leave the room when giving it to them? Is there anything I can do to help the bonding process?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
It's normal. All pigs are different when it comes to the Taming Process. Some have a confident and outgoing personality and will warm up to their humans in no time, maybe even a few days or a few weeks, and others are in between shy and outgoing and may take a little longer. Then there are the shy and reserved piggies - they can take months or even years to fully trust their human. It all depends. Just be patient with them and give them time. When the time comes, your girls will learn that you are their favorite human and they will want to be around you! It's very rewarding, trust me. To help them get used to you, try to associate yourself with positive things for them. I always say that the best way to a pig's heart is through its stomach. They love food!

During floor time you can set up a little scavenger hunt by scattering veggies everywhere... they may not go and eat at first, but they will eventually just keep trying. You can sit in their playpen/ floortime area while they scavenge :) By doing this, you're giving them a chance to come up to you if they want. Once their curiosity gets the best of them (especially if you have food near you) they will walk up to you. Some pigs even learn to climb in your lap. You can also hand-feed veggies when they're in their cage; hand-feeding is one of the best taming techniques! Again, be aware that they may not come up to at first but if you try every day and you don't rush them or stick your hand with the veg in their face, then they will learn that you are the Food Human and they won't be so afraid of you.

The key is to be patient, very very patient, and give them as much time as they need. Guinea pigs are prey animals so you can imagine how scary you must seem - a big, blurry creature that is constantly looming over them. Guinea pigs also don't have great eyesight so their eyes can't focus on us. However, even though they can't recognize someone's face they can recognize a person's voice , footsteps, and scent :D My boy Flynn starts to wheek, popcorn, and run up to the front of the cage whenever he hears my voice or my approaching footsteps! His trust was earned with patience and lots and lots of veggies!

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
It's normal. All pigs are different when it comes to the Taming Process. Some have a confident and outgoing personality and will warm up to their humans in no time, maybe even a few days or a few weeks, and others are in between shy and outgoing and may take a little longer. Then there are the shy and reserved piggies - they can take months or even years to fully trust their human. It all depends. Just be patient with them and give them time. When the time comes, your girls will learn that you are their favorite human and they will want to be around you! It's very rewarding, trust me. To help them get used to you, try to associate yourself with positive things for them. I always say that the best way to a pig's heart is through its stomach. They love food!

During floor time you can set up a little scavenger hunt by scattering veggies everywhere... they may not go and eat at first, but they will eventually just keep trying. You can sit in their playpen/ floortime area while they scavenge :) By doing this, you're giving them a chance to come up to you if they want. Once their curiosity gets the best of them (especially if you have food near you) they will walk up to you. Some pigs even learn to climb in your lap. You can also hand-feed veggies when they're in their cage; hand-feeding is one of the best taming techniques! Again, be aware that they may not come up to at first but if you try every day and you don't rush them or stick your hand with the veg in their face, then they will learn that you are the Food Human and they won't be so afraid of you.

The key is to be patient, very very patient, and give them as much time as they need. Guinea pigs are prey animals so you can imagine how scary you must seem - a big, blurry creature that is constantly looming over them. Guinea pigs also don't have great eyesight so their eyes can't focus on us. However, even though they can't recognize someone's face they can recognize a person's voice , footsteps, and scent :D My boy Flynn starts to wheek, popcorn, and run up to the front of the cage whenever he hears my voice or my approaching footsteps! His trust was earned with patience and lots and lots of veggies!
Thank you so much for this advice!! Going to put it to good use tomorrow. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.