Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pigs free run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
No, it's not true. Don't trust everything you read.

You should always watch your cavy when he's outside.

You should also get him a buddy if you can.

Sorry if it wasn't a lie, Louis, but I found it a bit odd that you told me everything explicitly that you did, the cards for food types, etc...?

Even if you do feed those things in small amounts, it means that the cavy is getting those unneccessary things in small amounts.

Just because the cavy is alive does not determine whether or not someone is a good owner, Louis. If someone is abusing an animal but it's alive, does that make the person a good owner? I think not.

Congrats on the medal!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
You should always have a water bottle or bowl for your pig.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Guinea Pigs in my opinion DO NOT belong outside. As she said earlier, even if the pig can swim it can still drown! Just like humans, anyone who swims can drown! Guinea Pigs can be outside but even living in Australia and having warm weather Is NO EXCUSE to leave them by themsleves. Plus, if they are outside, WHY AREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THEM?!?!? They NEED attention and care. You can't just leave them by themselves even if you do check on them once every hour. And why are you trying to use $600 dollars to convince us you're a good owner?!? Money is not the point! Love is and by leaving your guinea pig alone outside that does NOT give him love and care.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
That may have sounded mean but it's true. In my opinion leaving a guinea pig alone outside even for an hour with the risks of predators, fertilizers, snakes, everything (Even if it is winter) is not showing love and compassion towards your piggy.

Margaret

Cavy Slave
This person is being very moronic, just... I think he is just trying to get everyone to throw a fit about it and start a fight.
....He shows his pig? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
I don't really get what everyone's problem is. Every guinea pig is different meaning some handle certain situations better than others. I have a friend who owns ten or so guinea pigs which she allows to free range in her backyard (it's not that big but its big enough for a dog if you can imagine that) She also owns a dog. Anyway my point is she has kept her guinea pigs this way for as long as she has owned them which has been almost three years and not once has she had a problem. We live in an area where there are birds of prey, there are cats and snakes. She has even found a snake in her backyard. But she takes precautions. She has two large houses built specially for them, she has hidy holes all over the yard. The only problem she has is if she doesnt move a pregnant female to a cage in time and she has her litter in the yard. She does not watch over them, they do not die of the heat nor the cold. They are happy, healthy and not once have they been picked off by a bird or snake.
My point is every situation is different. Free range for guinea pigs is a healthy option as long as you ensure as much as possible for their safety.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Quiet Things said:
I don't really get what everyone's problem is. Every guinea pig is different meaning some handle certain situations better than others. I have a friend who owns ten or so guinea pigs which she allows to free range in her backyard (it's not that big but its big enough for a dog if you can imagine that) She also owns a dog. Anyway my point is she has kept her guinea pigs this way for as long as she has owned them which has been almost three years and not once has she had a problem. We live in an area where there are birds of prey, there are cats and snakes. She has even found a snake in her backyard. But she takes precautions. She has two large houses built specially for them, she has hidy holes all over the yard. The only problem she has is if she doesnt move a pregnant female to a cage in time and she has her litter in the yard. She does not watch over them, they do not die of the heat nor the cold. They are happy, healthy and not once have they been picked off by a bird or snake.
My point is every situation is different. Free range for guinea pigs is a healthy option as long as you ensure as much as possible for their safety.
Even if they never got eaten or killed by a snake, cat, bird, whatever you should NOT have a guinea pig outside. It is okay with supervision and a run or cage, but you should NEVER leave them alone period.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
This is obviously a farce. This kid is trying to get everyone riled. A guinea pig race? Please. There are warnings all over online forums about people like this person, guess we have one at cavy cages! Although *if* it were true, I would feel very bad for the poor piggie... I can't imagine leaving my pigs unsupervised during floor time inside of my home, let alone outside!

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
Everyone has a different opinion on supervision for their family members. I was just adding mine. I don't do what my friend does, I was just adding another example because I am of the opinion that if you take proper precautions and allow for safety then your guinea pig will be almost alright outside. Sure check up on them, dont leave them ther for days and days unsupervised but a few hours isn't going to hurt if you make sure it is safe. I mean did this kid say he didn't have the yard covered to keep out birds? Did he say that he hasn't blocked every hole in the fence to stop certain predators getting in? No he didn't.

I just think that if you put your guinea pigs safety first and accomodate to that then your guinea pig will be okay.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Your friend is breeding her pigs?

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
tashagurl said:
Your friend is breeding her pigs?
Yup, she has one boy and... a lot of girls lol.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
I doubt she has. I must also add I too breed occaisionally and have lost a mother once. I do not believe that breeding a sow will have a 20% death chance. That wasn't well put... Yes I am aware there is a large abandon rate all over the world, not just in America or Australia where my friend and I are from. And believe it or not, you have to realise these things (that babies must be sepereated etc.) before you even consider placing a boar and sow together. However for three years not once has a sow become pregnant from her son after three weeks, it closer to four or five weeks and that is when you are meant to seperate them anyway.
I am well aware there are people out there who cannot look after a guinea pig, that a good home may not be a good home after a while. But you must also look on the bright side. There are many, many good people out there who will love and care for as many guinea pigs as they can. Look at this site. There are so many people here who rescue, adopt or buy guinea pigs because they love them. I have, in all my experience, no trouble getting good homes for my guinea pigs, or getting a credited and good pet shop to accept them. Yes I do my homework, I research the pet shops, I see how they treat the animals they sell and I stay aware from bad ones.
My friend too has no trouble, if she sells direct to people she checks up as do I. Maybe it is not a sure fire way of making sure these animals we have loved and cared for are not abandoned but at least we do try to get the best.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Why would you put your pigs through that? By the way, boys become sexualy mature at three weeks. They are capable of breeding then, they might not breed but they can. Why would you willingly risk your pigs lives? Arent there pig rescues in Australia or where ever you live?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you breed, as all other breeders, you are just taking up the space so desperately needed by cavies in shelters. If you have the room and the time, adopt. Don't make more.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
I know about guinea pigs, I know when they become sexually mature, I know what can happen. I have seen it happen. Yes there probably are shelters that take in guinea pigs, but I haven't found one yet. I have the time, space and ability to adopt however I cannot legally do so. Believe it or not there is a legal limit to how many guinea pigs you can own in Victoria which is the state I'm from. Already I am above that limit, I own a total of 18 guinea pigs. Some may think that is a ridiculous number but there is no where else for fully grown guinea pigs to go. I have stopped breeding, I said I do so occaisionally. And then it was because, well there were numerous reasons but no one will accept them as legitimate. But I will not give up any one of my guinea pigs. Believe it or not I do care about what happens to other guinea pigs, especially the ones in shelters. just as much as I care about what happens to the other animals at shelters.

Dont try to push your views onto me, I agree adoption and rescue is better than breeding and would do so if possible.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Sorry if it seems I'm pushing my views on you. I'm glad you care as well.

Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Louis, why don't you have a friend for your pig? Its already alone from being outside with no interaction. At least get him a companion!

Please sort out your grammar and spelling. Its a real pain reading your posts =)

Status
Not open for further replies.