Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs being re-introduced problems, please help.

• Thread starter Cinnamon n Lily
  • Start date

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
Well a couple months ago i introduced my guinea pigs totally wrong, i didn't have a big enough cage or anything.( they had fought )
Well now i have a big enough cage for the both of them and i decided that spliting there cage was bad, i got new fleece, cleaned the cage grids and
got new hay and everything i filled the cage with new food and hay and put them in , i had some cardboard with me just in case they got in a fight
i was a bit worried so for the first 5 minutes i didn't let them near each other and than i thought i was being a bit paranoid i stopped and watched them they were near each other , following and eating (lily nipped cinnamon a couple times for getting to close while eating ) for about 10 minutes i was watching some YouTube videos on introducing and warning signs, well they started
pointing there noses up and i thought " you know there going to just back down and go back to eating" , yes lily backed down and than came around again and they repeated it and than Cinnamon my eldest started to chatter and they launched at each other i freaked out and put the cardboard inbetween them
whenever they saw each other they tried launching at each other again i got really worried and put back the divider in there cage and now there in there separated sides of the cage eating , i don't know if i left them for too long togethor, or if one of them did something to make the other angry, is what i did bad or i did good seperating them ? and should i reintroduce them again?? please help im really confused with this.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Do NOT keep separating them and re-introducing them. That is ever so stressful for them because then they have to do the dominance dance EVERY time they re-meet. Look at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm to help you. Is there any bloodshed? What size cage are they in?

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
There is no blood, an i would say the cage is about 4x2 we cant afford anything bigger at the moment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Cinnamon n Lily, please don't post two threads on the same topic. The people who read the forums generally read all the new posts, and someone will answer your question. I'm closing the other thread.

You need a bigger cage, or you need to separate them into two cages. The cage you have is barely large enough for one pig, much less two. Click the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better.

HoneyBadger

Cavy Slave
@bpatters - I'm sorry but I thought a 2X4 was the appropriate size for 2 piggies? Am I reading the chart wrong?

slendermella

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's a good idea to introduce them in their cage. You should take them to a neutral area, even if you washed everything and whatnot. I use my bathtub and a fresh towel and it seems to work well. Be sure you have plenty of hay and veggies and perhaps just do short periods of time so that it hopefully ends on a good note, lengthening each time. Realize that some pigs never get along, but also that continuing to separate and introduce in the manner you've done only makes the process more difficult.

Definitely recommend a neutral area though.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
@HoneyBadger - Is it 4 x 2 feet, or is it 4 x 2 grids? Personally I thought the minimum for 2 was 8 square feet, and the 4x2 feet would meet that requirement (as long as the measurements were taken from the inside cage space, and not the outside). But I could be wrong on that, and if I am, I'd love to know the minimum square feet (not grid size) for 2 females. But anyways, the chart goes by grids... so it would be 4 x 2 grids, and each grid is 14 inches long, not 12. So 4x2 grids is 56 x 28 inches, where as 4x2 feet is only 48 x 24 inches.

But "piggy playdates" aren't the best course of action. It's very stressful for them if they're introduced, and then separated, and then introduced again, and then separated, etc. It means they have to reestablish dominance each and every time, and tension will rise because of it

HoneyBadger

Cavy Slave
@AmberCalzone - That's a good question! I just assumed we were talking about C&C grids. I guess we'll have to wait for OP to weigh in.
@Cinnamon n Lily - I just wanted to add that I also call one of my girls Lilli, just her full name is Lilliputian :)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
@HoneyBadger - I was just so used to talking in feet before I came here, I still need some adjusting to remember that most talk about grids lol xD So unless it's specified, I always wonder. But I also thought the 4x2 (grid) was the recommended size, so /maybe/ it's in feet? But now I am so curious what the minimum size in square feet is, because I was under the impression it was 8, which would be a 4x2 foot anyway lol. So I'll be sticking around to see the answer too. Hopefully someone else can clear up my confusion as well.

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
I couldnt find any grids were i live so i got other things to make up for them so i cant really say how many grids and stuff, but it is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide... i thought that was good enough?? and i cant get a bigger cage until i move into a house. and i dont really know if its considered re-introducing saying they only have cage bars seperating them they can still see eachother.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
4ft by 2ft is 8sq ft, the minimum size for one pig. Two requires between 9-10 sq ft.

slendermella

Cavy Slave
In all fairness, on the front page of this website it does state that the minimum size for 2 pigs is the same as the minimum size for 1 pig. I just don't think it is fair to tell OP she is housing them incorrectly when she is meeting the minimum requirement, just not the preferred (or beyond).

HoneyBadger

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie - I'm just looking for some clarification. I've seen many people say that 10 sq ft is the minimum for 2 piggies but the cage size chart lists .7 m sq as the minimum, which would be about 7.5 sq ft, no?

1 m = 3.28 ft

1 m^2 = 3.28 * 3.28 sq ft = 10.76 sq ft

10.76 sq ft * .7 = 7.532 sq ft

On an unrelated note Princess, do you follow football at all? Both Merseyside clubs are having quite impressive seasons, and did well again today. As a supporter of the Blue Half of Manchester I'm not too chuffed about how the Reds are performing, but I'm really excited for our big title clash next weekend!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
It's been said before that the main page needs updating (can't remember where), but it's not just an opinion, two pigs need more space than one, same as two humans would need a bigger house or two horses wouldn't fit in to one stable.

ETA - Like I said, I remember seeing on a post a while back one of the admins said the main pages requirements chart needs updating to fit in with the new 8 sq ft for one pig, 9+for two rule.

I don't follow football really, but the two clubs of Liverpool are Liverpool F.C and Everton F.C, ask any scouser (Liverpool native) and they'll tell you to get lost if you mention a manchester club :p

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie - Haha I'm well aware of the affections between scousers and mancunians! I lived in the wonderful metropolis of Bradford not too long ago and so I got to spend some time in both of those sprawling cities. I even gave you a bit of a cheeky call-out for being a scouser when you replied to my introduction post, but I guess you missed it :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Oh I must have! I'll go back and have a look now.

In all fairness, Liverpool is just my nearest city, I live in a village closer to Southport :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.