Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Guinea pig shaking self/scratching, and slightly crusty ear.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
During lap time I noticed that one of Elliot's ears has a crusty bit on the inside. I couldn't tell whether it was wax or dry skin, but he has been scratching himself and shaking himself lately, like how a wet dog shakes dry.
I had a close look through his fur for mites/lice etc, but couldn't see anything. (His fur is white.)

It isn't long since he last went to the vet and was on a course of Baytril for a nose infection. Could this be another infection or is there something I can do myself to help him?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
If it is mites you wouldn't be able to see them as they are microscopic. A dry or flakey ear and excessive scratching could indicate mites. Has he been treated for mites before? Do you weigh him weekly? If so, has there been a change in weight? How much? By nose infection do you mean Upper Respiratory Infection, or abcess infection?

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
He hasn't been treated for mites before, no. The infection he had was when got a wound on his nose which became infected, it wasn't a URI or anything like that.

I've just done some more research and it does look like it's mites, I'll get him a vet appointment in the morning.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how many pigs you have, but I just wanted to remind you that when need to treat one guinea pig for mites, ALL your guinea pigs need to be treated for mites.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how many pigs you have, but I just wanted to remind you that when need to treat one guinea pig for mites, ALL your guinea pigs need to be treated for mites.

I have two boars and I treated them both. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.