Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig just gave birth tips to keep babies healthy?

Coconut22

Cavy Slave
Pancake my Guinea just gave birth to 3 little Guineas. She looks to be a good mother and has already cleaned them and looks like she’s nursing (cant really tell). Any one have tips on how to assure babies are healthy?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Weigh the pups daily to see if they gain weight, expect a small drop for the first day or two while her milk comes in. Make sure the cage is large enough, if it isn't the pups may end up with chewed ears. Provide one source of calcium for their growing bones and mums milk, this can be in the form of young guinea pig pellets, or alfalfa hay in addition to their regular hay (30% alfalfa to 70% grass hay), or a high calcium vegetable/herb added to their daily veg, an example could be a couple sprigs of parsley.

Separate any male pups when they turn 3 weeks old.

Coconut22

Cavy Slave
Thankyou so much! I went out and got alfalfa hay and pellets. Btw how will I know when she starts nursing?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
you should see the pups hanging out under her legs with their heads where her nipples are, she will begin nursing them quite quickly but actually get her milk in for a day or two. Before that she will be feeding them colostrum, but even colostrum can take a while after giving birth to come in. The pups will be fine during this period, it is completely normal. You will know she has her milk in properly when the pups start gaining weight.

Don't be surprised if you already see pups eating solid food, I had one pup born who ran off and started munching on hay before mum even finished cleaning him off fully, they are born capable of eating regular food. You can also handle them from birth so taking them out to weigh is not a problem, just don't keep them away from mum for extended periods of time. They need to not just nurse from her but also learn how to be a guinea pig, such as guinea pig social ques, from her.

If you see that one pup doesn't start gaining weight like the others you can give it some one on one time with mum a couple times a day, for say 15-20 mins at a time, to give it a chance to suckle.

Coconut22

Cavy Slave
you should see the pups hanging out under her legs with their heads where her nipples are, she will begin nursing them quite quickly but actually get her milk in for a day or two. Before that she will be feeding them colostrum, but even colostrum can take a while after giving birth to come in. The pups will be fine during this period, it is completely normal. You will know she has her milk in properly when the pups start gaining weight.

Don't be surprised if you already see pups eating solid food, I had one pup born who ran off and started munching on hay before mum even finished cleaning him off fully, they are born capable of eating regular food. You can also handle them from birth so taking them out to weigh is not a problem, just don't keep them away from mum for extended periods of time. They need to not just nurse from her but also learn how to be a guinea pig, such as guinea pig social ques, from her.

If you see that one pup doesn't start gaining weight like the others you can give it some one on one time with mum a couple times a day, for say 15-20 mins at a time, to give it a chance to suckle.

Coconut22

Cavy Slave
Hi thankyou so much for answering all my questions. I noticed her poop was tear dropped shaped and that she hasn’t been eating as much hay. She’s still eating and drinking but just less. Is this because she is tired or is this a sign of a problem.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep a very close eye on her, and if she's not better by morning, I'd take her to an exotic vet. She may just be tired, but she could also have another pup still inside, or a retained placenta, and those are both medical emergencies.

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Hey! I just wanted to check in and see how your Piggy is doing, is your mama okay?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.