Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig humping other Guinea Pig in sexual way??

puinea_gig_mama

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I am a previous guinea pig owner, but I only had females. After my other females passed away, I had decided to pick up some boys from Petco. They are still warming up to me, so I am not as active with them yet as they still run to hide when I pass by their cage; but I had began noticing something. One of my guinea pigs was smaller so I instinctively knew it was younger than my other guinea pig. I am not sure if it’s because male guinea pigs are more hormonal than females, but my youngest guinea pig started not only mounting, but actually thrusting/humping on my other male guinea pig. I’ve also seen a few guinea pig mating call videos on Youtube as one does out of curiosity, and he is also using his purr-like mating call when humping my other guinea pig. My older guinea pig is very much more skiddish than the youngest, and is visibly trying to popcorn and squeaks out of being uncomfortable when he does this. My youngest follows my oldest around the cage every 5 minutes doing the purr-like mating call and trying to thrust my other guinea pig. I was just wondering if I should separate them? My oldest is visibly upset when he does this and tries to get away, and I honestly don’t know if I should separate them or not, or let them figure out whatever is going on. I believe it looks to be he is in heat.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Males do not go into heat. What you are describing is dominance behavior. They are trying to establish who will be the boss. Yes, it looks very much like mating behavior but has nothing to do with his libido. They will hump the other's buttocks and even the head! They should eventually get this sorted out and things will calm down. As a last resort, you may have to have the dominant one neutered to calm him down.

I generally have males and almost always have them neutered to eliminate such behaviors to a large extent. Neutering is quite safe when done by an experienced cavy-savvy vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What you describe is perfectly normal. What I encourage you to do, however, is to turn them both over and compare their private parts. Petco is notorious for missexing pigs, and you may have a male and a female.

If you do, please separate them immediately. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups and the death rate for both is high. In large part, this is due to the size of the pups compared to the sow -- they are much larger in proportion to their moms than most other animals.

puinea_gig_mama

Cavy Gazer
What you describe is perfectly normal. What I encourage you to do, however, is to turn them both over and compare their private parts. Petco is notorious for missexing pigs, and you may have a male and a female.

If you do, please separate them immediately. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups and the death rate for both is high. In large part, this is due to the size of the pups compared to the sow -- they are much larger in proportion to their moms than most other animals.

Wow thank you so much that’s honestly one of my biggest fears. i will most definitely check!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.