Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea pig farts? Help.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Last night, just before bed, one of my pigs farted. At first I laughed seeing as I've never heard them do such a thing before. But as i crawled into bed, it kept happening. But still, i decided to right it off as coincidence.
That is, until 30 minutes ago. Whichever piggie was doing it last night is still doing it. Granted, it's not as often.

I checked then both out and they are both normal. They're bickering like normal, playing, popcorning, eating, drinking, etc.

My first thought was bloat since, you know, gas. But Humphrey had bloat before so i know what to look for with that. Both their bellies look fine. Plus what i already stated above.

Should i be concerned or does this just happen from time to time? I do hope I'm just being paranoid..

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do actually fart, ahah. I wouldn't be concerned unless he does it alot. I have actually never seen a pig fart, it must have been a funny sight :D

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Have you been feeding them any gassy veggies recently? I think it sounds just like human farts.
I'd perhaps feed less veggies today, maybe just stick to a piece of bell pepper.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It happens normally, but I'd avoid the gas-causing vegetables.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Thank you for answering!
I normally try to avoid gassy veggies. Poor Humphrey can't even handle the tinniest bit of broccoli. It was probably him that I was hearing. I figured I was probably just being a little paranoid, but better safe than sorry I guess.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm with bpatters. While pigs pass gas from time to time, excessive farting would be a sign of too much gas in the digestive system. You could try a bit of simethicone and see if that makes a difference.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I'll definitely have to pick some up then seeing as one of my pigs is so sensitive to fresh foods. I don't want his poor little tummy to hurt. Guess I'm going to have to rethink my menu yet again as well.

madrae

Cavy Slave
So you are guessing it is Humphrey? I am so sorry to laugh at something that concerns you, but all I can envision is two piggys pointing at each other saying "He did it".

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Yeah, he would be my best bet. Steve doesn't have problems with his food except for the fact that he eats too fast and occasionally chokes himself. -.- Therefore I have to chop their veggies super small.
Haha, no worries. I was laughing in the beginning as well. It was just so cute and bizarre at the same time.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig farts oh my hahahah! Not if he is sick, thats not funny, but the thought of piggie farts :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.