Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea Pig being attacked

93dan93

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 3 guinea pigs and a rabbit, they were originally kept in two separate hutches, (two pigs in one and a pig and the bunny in the other). For some reason one of the guinea pigs was being attacked by something as I would find sores and cuts on its back. So I rearranged the animals so that the injured pig was in a hutch by itself (incase it was the other pig attacking him) but i was still finding more sores on his back. I'm thinking it may be wild rats so I now have him in a plastic storage box with mesh over the top. His back is in a pretty bad way but I think it is slowly getting better. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing like applying a cream or lotion, i'm not really sure?
I have attached some pictures. DSCF0101.jpgDSCF0102.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That looks like a severe case of mange mites to me! Mites can be fatal. This poor pig needs to be treated ASAP, and so will your other pigs since they have been exposed also.

On a side note, don't keep bunnies with cavies. They could harm eachother and bunnies can pass diseases to pigs.

Here's the link about mange:
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Last edited:

PurplePaws121

Cavy Slave
please get this pig to a vet! he needs to get treatment immediately. He looks in a lot of pain.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Oh, that broke my heart! It looks so painful. Please get it to a vet.
If you do not have the funds to take it to a vet, please take it to a local humane society that can provide it treatment.
That looks painful.

Where are you located? If you let us know, members here can help you find resources to get the piggy the attention it desperately needs.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I second what @ellisa said. It looks like a VERY serious case of mites to me and needs medical attention immediately

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Are any of the other pigs showing these symptoms? And ditto what the others have said - don't walk, RUN to a vet NOW. Probably need to take all animals that have been in contact with this poor creature, too.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh the poor piggy. When you said you thought it was wild rats. Are you piggies living outside?

just wondering how can mite cause death?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@RodentsRus, have a look at the link I posted, it explains how mange can be fatal.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
The mites cause the guinea pig to be in pain and that makes them stop eating and drinking. They can become so severely dehydrated that they can die, @RodentsRus

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ah ok thanks for letting me know..Our had mite when we first got them from our SPCA but we treated them and all is good..

93dan93

Cavy Slave
thanks to everyone for the advice. He is still eating and drinking as usual but he is scratching quite a bit, i will try to get him to the vet ASAP.

littlerae

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness!! Yes get vet attention immediately!! That definitely looks like mange mites.. Ivermectin injections can take care of it.. Even if it was an attack it still definitely needs vet attention. He could get serious infections either way.. Poor piggy

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Yeah not to be cranky but don't "try" to get him to a vet. Seriously that made me want to throw up...I am glad you came here for help, really really glad. If you can't afford a vet, you need to call some animal shelters and advocates for help. He needs to be treated right away for mites and also they probably will wrap him in ointment and a body cast type thing to keep it from getting worse. Do not try and wrap him yourself tho because he will need a special wrap to keep the wounds from sticking.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
not to be mean, but i see some more problems in the pictures, beside the pig and the fact its outside with injuries like this. but the food has seeds ?!?! no. and the bedding? thats just paper which i usally put UNDER the actual bedding, like fleece.

93dan93

Cavy Slave
Yeah not to be cranky but don't "try" to get him to a vet. Seriously that made me want to throw up...I am glad you came here for help, really really glad. If you can't afford a vet, you need to call some animal shelters and advocates for help. He needs to be treated right away for mites and also they probably will wrap him in ointment and a body cast type thing to keep it from getting worse. Do not try and wrap him yourself tho because he will need a special wrap to keep the wounds from sticking.
ok, I don't want any arguments but i said i'll try because its currently easter and very hard to find a vet with available appointments or one that is even open. I am TRYING.
not to be mean, but i see some more problems in the pictures, beside the pig and the fact its outside with injuries like this. but the food has seeds ?!?! no. and the bedding? thats just paper which i usally put UNDER the actual bedding, like fleece.
Thanks for the tips but this just a temporary housing for the guinea pig and the food i got from a pet shop and it is labeled rabbit and guinea pig mix.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
93dan93. Do you live near a WalMart or a feed store? You can get ivermectin horse wormer paste at a feed store or in the horse section of WalMart. If the other 3 pigs are not as bad as this one you could treat for mites at home if taking all of them to the vet is an issure. This little guy needs more care than just giving the ivermectin paste.
On, Monday, after the holiday, do try to get this little guy to a vet stat. He has to be just miserable. Keep us posted as to how he is treated and how he is doing.

Are your animals kept outside? Is it at all possible to bring them inside? At the home page is great instructions for making a c&c cage. If all of your piggies are the same sex you can build one big enough to house all 3. A modified rabbit cage can also be built for the rabbit.

Rabbits and guinea pigs should not be house together. It can be very dangerous or even death to a pig should he be kicked or hurt from the rabbit. Rabbits also carry a virus that can harm a piggie.

I see that you are new to the site. There is a great wealth of information here on all things piggie and some for rabbits also. Check us out and see how you can make a great life for all of your furry friends. We are here also to answer any questions you may have.

Keep us posted on your little guy. He is such a pretty/handsome guy and want to see him in the best of health as you do. Looking forward to seeing pictures of him all healed with a beautiful coat to show for it. Would love to see pictures of the others too.

93dan93

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'll get him to the vet as soon as I can.
No, I don't live near a walmart as I am in Australia, but I'll have a look at the pet shop.
I have currently got the rabbit on its own, so the other pigs should be fine, though they were getting along when they were together.
I'll keep you guys up to date when I've got more news.
Thanks again for all the support.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Dan, what you'll need is Kitten/Puppy Revolution. You can buy it OTC at just about every Pet Store in Australia. One small drop (the very handy bald spot behind the ears is the perfect spot), every seven days for 3 weeks should clear it up. Where abouts in Oz are you? I might know of a good vet in your area (not all vets are created equal sadly, some don't even know basic info on guinea pigs but will happily treat them with dangerous drugs...)

However, he does have a very bad case, he might need a cream for the open wounds to prevent infection so that is definitely something you'll need to ask the vet about.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
ok, I don't want any arguments but i said i'll try because its currently easter and very hard to find a vet with available appointments or one that is even open. I am TRYING.

Yeah its really great you came for help...and Suzilovespiggie has great advice...try tractor supply, or walmart for ivermectin...and good temp bedding until you can get fleece or wood pellets or something is old towels. Also some ppl use long low sided plastic storage containers (with out the lid) as temp housing. As far as food goes, a plain, quality pellet is best, no seeds or dried fruit in it...it can be really confusing at first because the pet stores and even some vets will give strange or bad advice....also at tractor supply they have anti-bite cones which might help him not to bite the wounds. Just make sure he has Timothy hay at all times, water and fresh romaine or green leaf or red lettuce, not iceburg...and a varity of carrots, and celery, there are diet and butrition forums to tell you how much is ok, and what veggies and fruits to avoid. I use a mixture of shredded paper and Equine pine pellets (from TC) because my pellets aren't kiln dried I use it sparingly in the "bathroom areas" like under the food dish and in corners. Keep us updated! :)

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave
If he's outside right now in Aus, with open wounds like that, flystrike/maggots would be something to really look out for, though I'm no expert, I'm in the UK, so a very different climate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.