Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Good bedding other than pine and carefresh?

Ted&Ham

Cavy Slave
I am through with pine! It smells so quickly and I am just tired of it. I've tried carefresh but it doesn't please me.

I hate Kaytee products but I've seen reviews of the Kaytee soft sorbent. I'm not considering it but I just wanted to know what you think of it if anyone has tried it.

So does anyone know a good and cheap alternative to pine and carefresh? Also I can't shop online so I have to buy from PetSuck (PetSmart)

PS. I don't really like fleece that much either. >->

Thanks. ^-^

Not sure if you can get it in USA but I use megazorb

I don't think that is in the USA.

But I am also wondering about Yesterdays News.

Is it good at controlling odors for at least a week?

Oh and how much would a 12.4 lb bag cover in cubic inches and feet?

Yesterday's News is a cat litter that you could try, as it is very absorbent. I use it in my litter boxes for the piggies. The only problem I have with it is that it is not very soft for the piggy's feet.

I'm not sure where you are located but do you have a Fleet Farm in your town? I buy shaved aspen bedding, a 50lb compressed bag for $6.00 and my piggies love it. Fleet Farm is a hardware store/farm store so if you dont have a Fleet Farm but something like it I would try there. It's horse bedding basically but farm stores normally have bulk stuff for cheap.

Everyone: Please refrain from using symbols like >-> and ^-^ in your posts to represent smilies/emoticons. They are distracting, unnecessary and against the rules.

Thanks Ly. Its a habit. I'll try my best to stop. Haha.

And no I do not have a Fleet Farm in my town. I live in Tracy, CA which is in my terms, the little ghost town.

I may try Yesterdays News but I need to find something comfortable.

I did a search on Google Map with the keyword "feed store". I saw a lot came up. You can probably try those places.

I like Yesterdays News, they do make it in different textures...but since I started using towels under my fleece, I only need it in my litter box. Myself, I do recommend Yesterdays News.

Pine and other wood shavings can be toxic - aromatic oils. I think Aspen is safe, but you go through that like water - once it gets wet it just holds the smell and stays damp.

I also heard about a cheap knock off of carefresh called crittercare.

Is that any good?

I haven't tried CritterCare, but I used to use Carefresh which is pretty good - but expensive! I've started a fleece cage liner, and 3 litter boxes. The litter boxes have Yesterday's News, then some aspen, and a bit of Carefresh on top. It seems to work pretty well. I just scoop off the wet Aspen/Carefresh daily and do a weekly litter box change.

Pardon my interruption, and please don't read this as anything more than curiosity and attempt to find a workable solution, but may I ask what you don't like about fleece? Is it a personal tactile preference? or is it the clean up? Because there may be a solution that would allow you to use it instead of expensive messy bedding. I can wholly understand the tactile thing, as an example, I can't stand to touch velvet or corduroy, but there are fleeces that feel different but work just fine. As for clean up, there might be a way to clean it that would be easier for you and luxurious for your furry friends.

Carefresh works fine, but it really needs a buddy to help hold in the smell, so we usually layered it with yesterdays news. We cleaned it out every other week, and freshened every 3-4 days, cleaning the most used areas. This did a pretty good job, but is very expensive. We were spending $80 or more per month, which I now spend on toys and bell peppers and gourmet hay and pellet (Not really gourmet, Oxbow, and not more expensive).

You should try a litter tray as someone else suggested. Ours use them as a bed and leave it to pee :melodrama, but some take quite well to them, and it may help. I hope you find a solution!

Go for the fleece (look in the bargain bin - I bought mine for $4/yard at JoAnn) and put a couple towels underneath. It works for me! I vacuum the poopies every day, and wash the fleece and bedding as needed (about every 5-6 days). Fleece and towels also make for good footing, no slippery bedding to climb through, no dust, no mess. Just buy something for your litter pans.

I dont know why but my mom doesnt like fleece. Probably because we don't have much time to spot clean. I think I'll keep looking for a bedding for now. Thanks for the suggestions though. lol

I am through with pine! It smells so quickly and I am just tired of it. I've tried carefresh but it doesn't please me.

I hate Kaytee products but I've seen reviews of the Kaytee soft sorbent. I'm not considering it but I just wanted to know what you think of it if anyone has tried it.

So does anyone know a good and cheap alternative to pine and carefresh? Also I can't shop online so I have to buy from PetSuck (PetSmart)

Thanks. ^-^

Might i recomend megazorb it works really well:).

Thanks. ^-^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.