Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Fungal Infection

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
He doesn't scratch at all, or seem irritated. The second picture is of his back, the skin is flaking off like dandruff. This and his feet are the only places like this. Is this a fungal infection? If it is, how exactly do I treat it? I read from this site https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html that I should buy a shampoo but where do I get it and how often do I use it? Thanks.

Attachments

DSCN0853[1].jpg DSCN0852[1].jpg DSCN0854[1].jpg
I don't think either of those is fungal, but it's a little hard to tell from the pictures.

The foot pictures look like the beginnings of bumblefoot, with possible spurs around the edges. It's possible, though, that the crusty stuff around the edges would soak off. See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html for more information.

As far as the other picture is concerned, is the pig scratching at that area? Mites are invisible, but they usually make the pig scratch a lot. And fungal infections usually make all the hair in an area fall out, rather than just thinning hair. It could be fungus, but if the pig is scratching, I'd treat for mites first.

For mite treatment, see https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites. For fungus, see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

The reason I thought it was fungal is because on that website I linked, the photo of the pigs stomach looks identical to my pigs back. The fur on his back is thin and when I brush that area the fur falls out easily (However, you're right, he never goes completely bald or has red, bleeding open sores). " In guinea pigs, the tufts of hair may be stuck together by a crust of exudate (the skin beneath may exude serum)." This is relatable though.
He does not scratch AT ALL. However, when I scratch his back with my nail gently he bites furiously in front of him (like my shirt) as if it irritates him somehow.

Those scaly bits are NOT spurs. They are flaky, peely skin where as if I peeled one up, it would fall off and underneath would be a sore. I did used to think it was pododermatitis, but he has clean fleece bedding and it hasn't seemed to gotten worse, just flakier. Only recently has those 'spurs' began, which leads me to believe it's fungal rather than pododermatitis.

Chewy has had mites in the past, and I'm certain it is not mites. He does not scratch like he did when he had them. If it is pododermatitis, I'm already keeping his cage extremely clean, he has a 2x6 all to himself, I soak his feet in warm water. I'm not sure what else to do to treat it. I still think it's something fungal though.

Also, his nails are yellow and brittle.

That's a picture of your pig's back? I assumed stomach, because the dark spots looked like nipples.

If you read the fungus link, it will tell you how to treat it with either cream or shampoo.

For the feet, you can try soaking them in dilute (1:10 or 1:20) chlorhexidine (Hibiclens is one brand). An upside down bottle cap makes a good piggy foot bath. Be VERY careful not to let the pig ingest any of it. Rinse the foot very thoroughly with water after the soak, dry it well, then rub some cold pressed virgin coconut oil on it.

I'd try that for a week or so and see if anything improves. If not, post back here and we'll go in another direction.

Haha yes, it's his back. Those black spots are just skin discolouration/moles from old age. Okay, I will try that. Thanks. Just gotta find out where to buy these things now.

Any pharmacy.

I just bought this (broken link removed). Should I soap up his feet too? Would that hopefully help his feet as well as back as it contains chlorhexidine?

You can try. I tend to think his feet need to be soaked, and that soaping won't help much, but it also won't hurt, so give it a go.

Just be VERY sure to rinse him well after using that stuff. In fact, I'd be tempted to just wash the spot on his back, with a big margin around it, rather than bathing his whole body with it.

Why is that? I feel like washing one spot won't be too effective in treating his skin in other places especially his feet where it's most affected. I will be careful though and rinse really well.

I didn't mean to wash only his back and not his feet. I meant just not to give him an all-over bath if he's only got the one spot, and then to soak his feet.

Malaseb is just a strong shampoo. While it's probably fine, I'm a little cautious when it comes to all-over treatments if medicating a smaller area will do.

I took him to the vet today because the malaseb was not working. The vet said that she doesn't think it's fungal. She spent most of the visit picking off the scabs with her fingernails and saying it's just excess skin. He has the start of bumblefoot due to the fact he has stiff back legs due to older age/arthritis (5). He doesn't have as much mobility in the joints. Also he can't groom back there as well. As the scabs were not bleeding and underneath them the skin looked healthy enough, she just said that I should bath him in DermCare Aloveen Oatmeal shampoo and gently scrub away the flakes. That's all she said, basically it's just an older age thing and i'm doing everything I should be doing. I'm kinda bummed that she didn't give me any medication for an easy fix but I'm also glad that it's nothing serious.

How's he doing now?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.