Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Frustrated with "kitchen area"

mama_

Cavy Slave
Michael & Jordan were adopted yesterday. Their original pet store cage is about the size of a 1x2; they are now in a 2x4 C&C. I built the cage myself and even sewed a fleece liner for them. (First time sewing, and it was a pain in my @$$).

So here's my problem. I was going to have a 1x2 kitchen loft for them but changed my mind because I just didn't like how it would make it more difficult to clean the cage. I desperately wanted a separate kitchen area so my attempt at this was to take the bottom and top off of their original cage and place it inside their current cage. It fits perfectly inside the depth of the two grids and is slightly wider than 1 grid but it looks nice because of the arch opening into their little eating area and it helps keep the hay in that area. My mistake?.....it has now shortened their running area to a 2x3 and I'm just not happy about that.

So I guess I have three options:

1) Add the kitchen loft upstairs and just deal with a more difficult cleaning routine. I already have the 1x2 C&C made, I just have to purchase those connectors that make it easy to just detach it and lift it off. Then I have to sew another liner for that area. :grumpy:

2) Extend the cage to a 2x5 and do the same thing I'm doing now (using their original cage inside their current cage as a separator). The problem with this....since the Coroplast is already cut/molded to fit a 2x4 and 2x1, I would need to somehow have the 2 separate areas just next to each other and cut the Coroplast of the 2x1 so they can walk into it.

3) Somehow attach the old cage to the current cage rather than having it inside the current cage. I'm not quite sure how I would figure this one out. My cage is on a grid storage base so I don't know if I would just set the old cage on top of the extended base or how that would work.

I realize this is really confusing to just read about so I'm going to attempt to sketch out the 3 separate possibilities so you guys know what the heck I'm talking about. :)

Cage Possibilities.jpg

Now that I've drawn it all out, I realize #2 and #3 are basically identical. I would still have to purchase more grids (just wouldn't need to use as many), more Coroplast, and sew a new liner. So I guess the choices come down to whether I should have a kitchen upstairs (which the ramp may take up running space) or have the kitchen attached on the side (which would require me to purchase more materials). When it all comes down to it, I don't mind having to purchase more materials if absolutely necessary. So which would be better for the boys? Or does it matter?

T_Licious

Cavy Slave

mama_

Cavy Slave
That's essentially the same as having a loft. The only difference is a true loft would have more room underneath. I already have a 1x2 loft built so I wouldn't need to buy more grids/Coroplast, I'd just need to buy the little connectors that you can detach easily. Do the piggies really stay in on that loft? That's an awful short ledge for them to be able to get over.

P.S. it's super cute. Once you get that, you should post photos of your entire set up.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I like option #2. I don't think you need more coroplast. Since you already have the 1x2 and 2x4. You can just keep them as separate trays.

You can add a ramp between the trays, or cut the entrance lower.

2x4_1x2.jpg

2x4_1x2_2.jpg

mama_

Cavy Slave
Ahhh! Genius. I have a few extra grids so I'd need to double check I have enough to make the storage base. How in the world did you create this graphic? I'm sick of drawing everything out lol.

mama_

Cavy Slave
I guess my question with that suggestion is how do they get from one tray to the other? I'd hate to cut the Coroplast, plus then there's a gap between the two that pee/poo/hay/fur can get through.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
fiddlesticks? I use them as ramp into my temp kitchen area. If you decided you wanted to clean under a loft easier in the future, you could just get the two inexpensive bars to use instead of grids. I do like the idea of the easy detaching connectors too.

I love so much on that site LOLOL

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I prefer mine one level for cleaning etc. I also prefer mine in the cage so there is less mess. Can you just make the cage longer so it can sit inside without taking up the running room? This is how I used the bottom of the old store bought he came in to make my kitchen.

Its at one end of a 2x6 now but I will likely expand to a 2x8 to give more "non-kitchen" space. I didn't want to use the top of the cage because it would be harder to get to to fil bowls, scoop, etc.

2012-11-20 11.37.56.jpg

mama_

Cavy Slave
If you decided you wanted to clean under a loft easier in the future, you could just get the two inexpensive bars to use instead of grids.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Do you mean those support bars? And how do you use those instead of grids?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can make a ramp from extra grids and coroplast.
(broken link removed)

The drawing was done with Trimble SketchUp.

Fiddle sticks work too, if your pigs will use them. Mine are too scared of the strange texture on their feet.

(broken link removed)

mama_

Cavy Slave
lifesvr7, I'm not sure why it won't let me thank you for your post but I really like how your kitchen is set up. I haven't checked to make sure the bottom will fit into the current cage yet. I assume it would if the outer walls do, but there is a lip of plastic that may make it a very tight fit. What do you use as a little ramp so they can get up? It looks like you just have fleece but how do you keep it at an incline?

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
lifesvr7, I'm not sure why it won't let me thank you for your post but I really like how your kitchen is set up. I haven't checked to make sure the bottom will fit into the current cage yet. I assume it would if the outer walls do, but there is a lip of plastic that may make it a very tight fit. What do you use as a little ramp so they can get up? It looks like you just have fleece but how do you keep it at an incline?

My cage base has a lip too but luckily fit perfectly. VERY snug fit. Kind of have to slide it in when i take it out to fully clean it. I have tried a ramp and other things to give them access but they seem to take up too much room. That is fleece but under it are the large fiddle sticks. They didn't like the bare sticks and I always worry about splinters. I tried it with the smaller ones too but the larger ones worked best. Here is another picture revealing the hidden truth! I bent the sides of the fiddle sticks almost completely under to make it the right height. I foot want them to try to get in there or get stuck so the little friends in the middle of the two fiddle stick steps keeps there from being a gap. Its also good because there are multiple entrances or exits so piggies can come and go without annoying each other.

2012-11-26 17.53.45.jpg

mama_

Cavy Slave
Well, I tried to fit the old base in the cage and it just doesn't work. :sad:

So, I splurged and purchased the detachable connectors and a pre-made Coroplast ramp from the site store. Problem solved. Michael and Jordan will enjoy it underneath the loft - I currently have an extra piece of fleece draped over the top to make it nice and dark and cozy for them. Jordan is a snuggle-butt so if I shove a bunch of fleece in a corner he burrows into it and pokes his little head out.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Jordan is a snuggle-butt so if I shove a bunch of fleece in a corner he burrows into it and pokes his little head out.

That sounds so cute! Any pictures?

mama_

Cavy Slave
I'll have to take a picture next time he does it!

alexada17

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 c&c cage with a 1x2 loft. I use fleece as well, and have not had any problem with cleaning. It is really easy, getting under a 1x2 grid is not difficult at all. The only thing i've found is i would have liked to do a 2x2 or something like that for the loft, and i think that would make it more difficult to clean. For my loft to make that as easy as possible to clean i have the fleece put down then i used a tupper wear that is about 1 inch deep by maybe a foot or so long. So my pigs don't slip around in the tupperwear i made "pee pads" that are two pieces of fleece with a bit of uhaul pad in between. I use 3 of these inside the tupperwear so when i clean that out and brush off the fleece it's super easy! I put that under their hay rack (which i made a box out of extra coroplast) that way when they are picking which piece of hay they want it just falls into the tupperwear and i just sweep it right off of the fleece. I've found this to be really easy! Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.