Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Friend had skinny babies!!!

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A friend of mine found an ad on CL and being the pig lover she is, went and rescued them. She thought the girl was pregnant and sure enough....

DSCN1892.jpg

Last edited:

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Awww ive never seen skinny piggy babies. How come the head has fur?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Some skinnies do have hair around the nose and head. Its not really long more like fuzz than hair. They are cute.

Guinealea

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, all Skinnies have some fur on their head, feet and sometimes even their back. (My Clover looks like a little werewolf with all her fuzz) It's Baldwins that are completely bald...although they're born with fur.

These babies are just adorable!!!

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Yes, skinnies have fur on their head and feet. The mom was all black skinny and was with a white pink eyes male so there is the variety! Im going up today to see them. They were born yesterday. I think the little orange headed one would go great with my Chicken!! I think Im going to have to get one. Name him Nugget! hahahaha.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Nugget, I love it! They are so adorable!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How adorable!

Does she know about the need for keeping skinnies warm? They'll need cozies, or a heat source in the cage. Pups have more trouble regulating their temperatures than older pigs do.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, yes. She has had gpigs most of her life. 25 years or so. She has had skinnies off and on over those years as well, but thanks for the reminder. She is a wonderful gal who always has a heart for gpigs. That is how we met as a matter of fact. She is a great owner and has a super neat herd. Spoiled! She just had them out for a quick pic to show them off and who wouldn't?? They are so cute, lol

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
How adorable! You should totally adopt one if you can. I love how they all have different colored heads. I too have a skinny pig, her name's Flower. image.jpg

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
They are so cute!!!

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
I've truly fallen in love with skinnies, of all the pigs I've had they're def the quirkiest I had three for a while, but Zelda (dark brown) passed away at about 1.5 years. :'(

Attachments

image.jpg

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
The black and white face pig is cruella and the multi coloured pig is winnie

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
How cute! I want a skinny pig so badly but I haven't found one in rescue or craig's list yet. =(

pinky

Cavy Slave
She rescued "them"? If she also got a male, make sure he's separated from them.

Just curious, can skinnies be lethals?

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
@pinky, yes she rescued "them". Some lady had an ad on Craigslist "downsizing" her herd. So my friend went and took the two skinnies. Yes they were living together and yes they were male and female. They aren't together now nor will they be. And of course the female was pregnant. Quarantine is over so the male skinny went easily into her male herd and this mom will go with the girl herd.

I love everyones pic of their skinnies!!! Love the spots and coloring on them. How cute. I would like one of these babies, but they are all male and I have a male trio, don't know if I could make it a quad????

pigger123

Cavy Slave
A group of 4 males would probably be very hard to do. It might help that the new guy would be a baby, but you'd need a huge cage, and you would have to take the chance that it might upset the balance and even your previously bonded boys might become "enemies." If that happened you might be able to have 2 pairs instead, which would be easier.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
I got Winnie a few months ago with hopes of her getting along with cruella and Zelda. She had been living alone with my friends grandma (who could no longer care for her) and I guess that could have taken it's toll on her and she got into a big fight with Zelda during intros... Let's just say that's the last time she's interacted with another pig. She's sweet and smart, just very solitary.

i ended up modifying my cages so she could have her own right in there with the other 4 pigs.

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Skinny pigs can also be lethals @pinky I imagine it's a little harder to detect roaning on skinny pigs too (we don't have the breed here in Australia, so I've actually never seen a skinny pig in person. I'm not even sure what a roan skinny pig would look like in terms of skin pattern... but WheekingPiggies Flower looks like she might be roan to me, but I'm not at all sure of that, I'm just guessing). Hopefully the white bubs are just normal, healthy PEWs. :)

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
@pigger123 Well I just expanded the 3 boar trio cage. It is currently a 2x2 kitchen connected to a 3x5 so almost 20 sq ft. Id have room to go out one more panel but pretty soon my fleece wont be wide enough!! lol but I can't go longer.
Space isn't an issue, its spunky attitude Huckleberry. And he is only 3 months old and only knows Chicken and Waffles but would like to be Master of the Universe!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I like the one with the black head but they're all really cute. Can you post photos of the other two? Are they both skinnies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.