Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece problem

Brenda B

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I bought my fleece and washed and dried it 3 times. (hot water) However, it is not wicking the pee away very quickly. It sits on the surface for a bit first. Since my pigs go where they please (unlucky me) I need it to work well. Any suggestions?

Did you use any fabric softeners or a dryer sheet? Those tend to prevent the fleeces wickability.

Is your pigs pee completely liquid or is it pasty? If it's pasty, is it grainy to the touch? if it is check out guinea lynx https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

No fabric softener used...even the drips from the water bottle sit on the surface. I guess I will wash and dry a few more times and see. They do like it more than aspen though...

That happen to me with one fleece fabric I got. I guess they are different. Eventually it stopped doing it. It still not my favorite though...

Some types of fleece have a "wrong" side. Did you try it on both sides?

no, but I did double it...maybe that is too much?

Try one layer and lay it on a towel. Then squirt some water on it and see what happens. If it still beads, try turning the fleece over and trying the other side. Also, what laundry detergent did you use? Some, like Dreft or All Free and Clear have fabric softeners in the detergent.

How long is it sitting for? It can take up to 20 minutes for all liquid to wick properly. Some fleece seems to wick quicker than others for some reason. The more you use the more efficient the fleece will be in wicking away pee. I too would only use a single layer of fleece as the liquid will have less fabric to travel through to get to the absorbant layer.

Thanks! I put down a single layer and it works great!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.