Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece prep?

misspaperwait

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm going to get a pair of piggies hopefully the end of next month and I'm working to get their environment all set up a head of time! I've decided this time around (I had a piggie when I was 11) that I'm going to use fleece and I've been reading guides and such on how to get it ready to be made into liners and I've noticed that they all say to start with I will likely have to wash the fleece up to 7-10 times?? I do have a washer and drier but we do pay monthly for our water and that seems like a lot of extra use, I know that after that you only need to wash them once per cleaning but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to reduce the number of washes needed to break down the waterproof layer? Is there anything you can use (ie dish soap?) that might break it down more quickly?

Also I noticed there seems to be a difference of opinion on if Blizzard or Anti Pilling fleece is the better choice, I will be buying material (likely used) specifically for these liners so any insight on the better fleece would be great too!

Thanks so so much for any help :)

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
bleach helps a lot. I usually have to wash new fleece with bleach like 3-5 times

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I believe that 7-10 times is far excessive in my experience. I've always used Anti Pill fleece 100% polyester and have had to wash and line dry (I don't usually dry it in the dryer, it dries very fast on the line) it 3-4 times to get it to work. I just use ordinary detergent from the grocery store. No softeners obviously. That's all I've ever done and it seems to work well for me.

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I would wash it once in hot water with free and clear detergent, Borax and a cup of vinegar in the rinse. Dry it then test it with an absorbent layer underneath. If it wicks, you're good if not wash it again.

RoAnne

Cavy Slave
I just got my two piggies last weekend. I bought 2 pieces of fleece, both are anti-pill 100% polyester, just different designs. I washed them both in hot water with ajax and vinegar and after 2-3 times one of them wicked. The second one I've washed about 5 more times with the Ajax, added bleach several times, plus twice soaked in the bathtub over night with bleach and ajax. It just won't wick!! Very frustrating! I bought a new piece yesterday and I soaked it overnight in hot water with bleach and ajax and threw it in the washing machine this morning. I'll dry it tonight when I get home from work and hopefully it will wick. I really need a second piece to trade out with the first one. Is it common for fleece to just not wick? If so, it's going to get expensive!!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Most of the fleece I've bought (I buy a ton since I make and sell cozies) has wicked after 3-4 washes with nothing but hot water and regular detergent. Sometimes it wicks after only 1 or 2. I did have one anti-pill fleece that took at least 10 washes, but it eventually wicked and it was definitely a rare case. I just kept throwing it in every time I did pet laundry and testing it after every time. Anti-pill and blizzard are pretty similar but I actually prefer blizzard since it tends to be thicker and softer.

RoAnne

Cavy Slave
My 3rd piece has wicked! Still working on the second as I really like it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.