Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Forest - Just had to show it off

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Just had to show of my brand new fleece forest, well more of a Jungle, lol

Have a look and see if you can see the piggies......

Fleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it off

It looks great! I'd substitute the tacks for something else, though. Guinea pigs love to chew things and they pose a choking hazard.

Maybe flat tacks would be better? Would they be able to get those out even if they tried to chew them?

Maybe flat tacks would be better? Would they be able to get those out even if they tried to chew them?

The short sharp tip of tacks don't hold as well as something with a longer point. A heavy duty stapler might be better since the fabric might give rather than the staple come out. Screws might even be better since there's no way a guinea pig could take those out.

How big is the "shelf" its attached to? Can you use one or two of those jumbo binder clips? If not, maybe try those plastic things they sell to hold picnic table covers on.

That's a nice big cage. Are they kept in the garage or a basement? I would put up some type of wall or barrier--while running around pigs can fall or get pushed around and fall. Perhaps some clear plexiglass?

i've been using those tacks ever since we started on the fleece and have had not problems what so ever the boys don't even look twice at the tacks, I will come up with a more 'suitable' alternative, the ideas of using binders or clips wont work i'm afraid as it's a 2x4 joist undernethe the tack (hence the tack lol). Using a stapler would defeat the point of having removable fleece to be able to clean it.

the boys are not kept in a garage or basement but in the living room and they do actually have a plexi-glass front however it's not visible on the picture due to the fact that I had to take it off to fit the forest and wanted to show it off ASAP lol, not too worry though the plexi is back up and the boys are safe as houses.

Thats cool bet they love it

Oh, good! I though you had made it on garage shelves or something!

It's really a great cage. You've put a lot of work into it!

That was my concern as well!

Good to know all is well then.

I love it, lucky lucky pigs!

nah, it's got a 2x4 frame with 8 2x4 legs for stability i can stand on the damn thing and it holds steady lol, has a wire mesh with the fleece draped over to make the forest and a hardboard top for a running/sleeping/jumping/whatever platform and then my new fleece absorbent impermeable underlayer (in place of towels and everything else) {only just got it so trialling it for the next couple of weeks to check durability and soakability lol } and finally my fleece cover for comfort, was working on it at around 4am this morning (couldn't sleep insomnia kicked in) so spent 4-6h building it with a dremel multitool so i wouldn't wake up the family.

Holy!! That is like the Godzilla of cages. Love it.

Another option might be velcro. I sewed velcro to the ramp fleece and attached industrial strength velcro to the edge of the loft so I could remove it and launder it and still easily reattach it again. I use velcro to hold their hay bins to the corner of the cages, too.

I like the velcro idea.
I'd give that a try.

You may not have problems with the tacks now, but all it takes is 1 interested piggy.

That is epic. 0_0 Very nice job! It makes me feel like my piddling little 3x6 C&C cage is beyond inadequate. I bet that's a pain to try and clean though. Very, very nice job!!!

That is epic. 0_0 Very nice job! It makes me feel like my piddling little 3x6 C&C cage is beyond inadequate. I bet that's a pain to try and clean though. Very, very nice job!!!

Actually at the minute it's a bit of a stretch but nothing major, i'm going to replace the plexi-glass with a correx base and 6" walls (see-thru) and have a second correx sheet that sits on the inside of the correx box, with the fleece and absorbent fleece underlayer wrapped around it which will mean a simple lift up sheet with fleece attached, remove fleece replace and insert, i'm looking forward to those days lol, hardest part is the back corner you do have to climb in almost lol, but again once i've attached the wheels and fitted the solid rear sheet doors (as the back walls) I'll be laughing.

a quick few pics (unfortunately just before cleaning time lol)

Fleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it offFleece Forest - Just had to show it off

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.