Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Fleece and removal blanket layer question!

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I took the plunge and bought some removalist blankets - the quilted thin recyclable denim ones and have bought more polyester fleece in bright colours.

My question is - what is the best "recipe" for the layers? I dont want to use puppy or incontinence pads underneath.

I have a very long cage and wanted to hopefully sew the layers together (with an ancient sewing machine that LOVES playing up) to make it easier to change the cage etc.

Some people on here say they like 2 layers of blanket then one layer of fleece then some prefer more than one layer of fleece?

I will double up under little hidey houses with a piece of fleece

I didnt necessarily want the 'sides' of the cages done as they dont really burrow

CHEERS, MEL:eek:

Oh sorry forgot - am washing the fleece 3x and drying and washing the denim blanket aswell for shrinkage / barrier layer first of course (no fabric softener on hot wash).

Towels just would get eeeew so thinking bigger cage (its a 2x7 with a 2x4 hay loft) I should use a bigger blanket underneath so I could get installed easier.

CHEERS!!!!

If this blanket you have is similar to uhaul blankets, we find that a fleece then blanket then another fleece(so that it is reversible), works best, two layers of blankets inside made it too heavy and didn't work better for absorption. It didn't let the moisture evaporate, it seemed to smell more and wouldn't dry on its own.

P.S. We also made matching ones just big enough to go under the hidey houses that we change daily. This really helps out.

Thanks for the reply!

Im in Australia, I went to a self storage place and they had these blankets there... $15 AUD for 3metres x 1.8metres (HUGE) which would fit the length of my cage (2.4m x 75cm wide bottom floor). Its cotton recycled denim, its thin as the fleece or so, hopefully it will do the trick.

I hope they are the same as U haul or similar... I was so sick of little towels like a patchwork underneath the fleece and it moving around when I tried to clean the fleece.

I will try and sew this lot together... how often do you flip the fleece thats double sided or you dont?

CHEERS, MELlol

I wash them every 4-7 days, before i flip them. They are double sided so we have more options for colors and patterns. They are the same as Uhaul, they are made of recycled denim too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.