Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds + flattening himself while being petted?

Basil

Cavy Slave
I have a nine week old male guinea pig that I've had for just about two weeks now, and he has this particular habit that I cannot make head or tails out of.

When I reach down to stroke his back, 85% of the time, he will "melt" under my hand and make a loud, long, "rrrrrr" sound. I can't tell if this is a purr, or a "durr". Most of the time, he won't let my hand near him. I can only manage to stroke him if I move my hand towards him at the pace of a snail, or while he's busy eating.

However, when I AM petting him, he never runs away, or butts his head at me, or shows any sign of discomfort/displeasure. I can't figure out if he's pleased or upset. :confused:

My Annie does that too. When she's in my lap and I pet her she flattens herself out. When she does it I call her my little pancake. I don't think it's a sign of discomfort though.

naah mine do that too. I think they're just enjoying being petted.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I don't think so. When I pet my Hurley on the head, he lies his head on the fleece but his body is still standing! When I pet Butters though (recently adopted - like, adopted 2 days ago literally!), he stretches out on my lap and falls asleep. They both do this little thing where they stick their feet out, so I know they're enjoying themselves.=)

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think they are hiding. They don't like it, the pigs are trying to blend into there surroundings. If you imagine if your scared do you stay perfectly still and hope you don't get seen I know I do, I try and hide. I have a pig that used to do it, now he sprawls out like a dog he's alot more comfortable, and the 'Brrr' noise I can't work out but I associate with not liking something, as mine head butts too which means "Stop that, I don't like it" well thats what mine does and what I Recognise it as!

If only pigs could talk, but I think you will find when the pigs get more comfortable they will stop this behaviour.

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think they are hiding. They don't like it, the pigs are trying to blend into there surroundings. If you imagine if your scared do you stay perfectly still and hope you don't get seen I know I do, I try and hide. I have a pig that used to do it, now he sprawls out like a dog he's alot more comfortable, and the 'Brrr' noise I can't work out but I associate with not liking something, as mine head butts too which means "Stop that, I don't like it" well thats what mine does and what I Recognise it as!

If only pigs could talk, but I think you will find when the pigs get more comfortable they will stop this behaviour.

But my pig does not headbutt, nor does he try to move away. He simply melts, and starts making that purring sound. He also doesn't move away to hide. He has a home that he frequently runs to hide in when he gets nervous or scared, but he never runs away when I am petting him.

I am positive that he isn't scared, but I wasn't sure if he was happy or just tolerating the petting. Thank you for your responses, everyone, I believe that he's just exhibiting a cheerful emotion. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.