Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Feeder Guinea Pigs

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just read about these. Apparently there is a large community of snake owners that use live guinea pigs/rabbits/rats/mice as snake food. Owners of these large snakes say they buy their guinea pigs at pet stores. These guinea pigs are sold cheaply because apparently they are not "friendly" enough to be pets. Or else they are "deformed" or "mean". To be honest, it sounds hard to believe that these feeder guinea pigs are always like that. It disgusts me even more because I read on a discussion on a snake forum how to breed guinea pigs and how to fatten them up. One poster even asked of the snake would smell all of the guinea pigs if they were kept in a dog kennel in a closet. What the hell? People are seriously messed up. I understand that snakes need food, but common...why would you impose suffering on another being for your sadistic pleasures? You hear people arguing that its "natural". No. It's not natural. Breeding animals in horrid conditions for your lazy pet to consumer without thinking is not natural.
This really makes me reconsider ever getting a carnivor pet including dogs and cats. I don't want other animals to suffer for the well being of other animals. This is why the world is so ****ed up. Pardon my French. This angers me a lot!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
While I don't agree with what they were talking about on that snake forum, it is the way of life for some animals to die in order for others to live.
The world isn't F'd up because of carnivorous animals following their instincts. The main reason the world is F'd up is because of humans.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
I can't stand when snake owners don't treat their feeders humanely.

I breed mice and yes, the unfriendly ones feed my snakes. But they live in a cage with adequate room and plenty of mental stimulation and quality food before that point.

Some snakes need guinea pig and rabbit sized prey and there is nothing wrong with that. But it is necessary to maintain a humane life for that prey.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I can't stand when snake owners don't treat their feeders humanely.

I breed mice and yes, the unfriendly ones feed my snakes. But they live in a cage with adequate room and plenty of mental stimulation and quality food before that point.

Some snakes need guinea pig and rabbit sized prey and there is nothing wrong with that. But it is necessary to maintain a humane life for that prey.

I think what bothers me is when they troll Craigslist for free guinea pigs - I know that the people are giving them away, but don't take someone's pet and feed it to your pet promising them a good home.

I totally realize the necessity of snakes and reptiles needing food. I like snakes and whatnot - I could never own one because I couldn't feed it mice and other rodents. That's just me though!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I own cats, so to me, feeding pre-killed pinkies is the same as feeding meat-based cat food. It's just that the little mice look a lot more like their original form than the chickens and fish. I could never, ever feed live food, but it's a fact of life that some snake owners do. I agree with @doganddisc that feeder animals should at least be maintained humanely, just as I believe animals for human consumption should be (but sadly are usually not). Unfortunately, there are snake owners who don't believe the rodents are worthy of good treatment, just as there are those who raise their live feed properly.

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Slave
I own cats, so to me, feeding pre-killed pinkies is the same as feeding meat-based cat food. It's just that the little mice look a lot more like their original form than the chickens and fish. I could never, ever feed live food, but it's a fact of life that some snake owners do. I agree with @doganddisc that feeder animals should at least be maintained humanely, just as I believe animals for human consumption should be (but sadly are usually not). Unfortunately, there are snake owners who don't believe the rodents are worthy of good treatment, just as there are those who raise their live feed properly.
Yes,I believe animals should eat, but the thing is there are few and far between cases of animals who are treated humanly when it comes to the industrialized food industry. Many people who (not all) view animals that feed others (incl humans) as commodities; never giving them a humane life. The idea of a human determining when and how something should die and raising it for that purpose is why I say the worlds ****ed up. Yes, because of humans. I am vegan, so the suffering and consumption of animals goes against my beliefs. I have even questioned pet ownership, but manage to justify that with the fact that my pigs are living like kings. It's all opinion an I realize things need to eat. The point I'm trying to get across is that if people feel the need to breed animals for food then they should at least be taken care of well before their death.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
@Ghost_Peanut if you read my post, you'll see that I (and others who have posted here) agree with what you're saying about humane treatment of animals destined for food. I've made big strides in going vegetarian myself this year, with the majority of the meals I eat at home being meatless, and I use almond milk for everything but coffee. I know I can't make the full leap to vegan, but I still want to a part, even if it's a small one.

I see where you're coming in pet ownership, too. All my animals have a great life, good food, enriched environments, medical care, etc. But is my horse really as happy being confined to a few acres as he would be roaming free? Would he be healthier eating small amounts all day than having two big meals (the unnatural way we feed horses contributes to the #1 killer, colic)? Do my cats really like being indoors for their safety, or does the enrichment I provide pale in comparison to roaming and doing what they please? Would my Quaker parrot rather be flying free and building a big condo in a flock than free flying around my house and building little structures all alone in his sleepy hut? We can't provide perfect, natural lives for animals, no matter how hard we try. Unfortunately, humans have created a mess, as you said, so I work within the framework of that mess to make sure I take rescue animals and give them the best life possible. It's not ideal, but the best I can do under the circumstances.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
I believe feeder animals and laboratory animals should be under the same protection (by law), as "pets" and other animals. There is no difference in the feelings of pets and the feelings of feeder animals. I don't know why people who wouldn't treat their pets badly, would treat feeder animals horribly and let them live in their poop/pee until they die. I went to Petco for supplies once (our local pet shop was closed) and I asked the lady working there why the feeder mice cage was so nasty, while the other cages were relatively clean and 4 times bigger and she replied "they're for eating only, so they're going to die soon anyway". If an animal is going to be sold for killing they should at least have a pleasurable short life, same goes for cows, pigs and chickens we and our pets eat.

This topic has had me heated for a long time. I'll tell you why the world is so f:censored: up, it's because people don't view other living breathing creatures as having feelings that deserve kindness, or at the very least respect.

@(broken link removed)As for the pet ownership issue, I can't answer for the pet because we can't ask them, or even if we could hey would not know with living in the "wild" would entail. All we can do as good pet parents is to try to make our pets happy and healthy:). Aside from being "free" wild life is not very pleasurable, no food is handed to you, you either fight for food, find food, or starve. Animals are hunted down by predators and killed, pack and dominance fights happen, and mean people shoot and run over wild animals for fun. "Wild" domestic animal life expectancy is very low because of fights, starvation and disease. Even outdoor cats/dogs have a drastically reduced life span. So, don't think that you're taking away your animals freedom when you house them, because freedom comes at a price, a price they may not be willing to pay.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
It's definitely a complicated issue. On the one hand, snakes do need to eat, and it's not their fault that their food also happens to be kept by other people as cute pets. But any animal, be it a pet or feeder, should be treated humanely. Even for people who deliberately breed feeders, the fact that an animal is destined to be a snake snack does not justify abuse or neglect during its short life. Even though I have 4 guinea pigs whom I love and would be very sad if anything happened to any of them, I am not upset by the notion of feeder guinea pigs, as long as they are treated properly until their time comes.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I haven't read everything but I'm with the OP on this one. Maybe it's the hippie vegetarian in me, but I can't support live feeding.

In the wild, snakes do consume mice and other things. The difference? In the wild that mouse has a chance of escaping, hiding, getting away etc.

In a habitat that animal is confined, and given no other choice. No defence.

Yes it is the way of the world, but it's still unfair in those conditions.

That's my take on it.

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Slave
I haven't read everything but I'm with the OP on this one. Maybe it's the hippie vegetarian in me, but I can't support live feeding.

In the wild, snakes do consume mice and other things. The difference? In the wild that mouse has a chance of escaping, hiding, getting away etc.

In a habitat that animal is confined, and given no other choice. No defence.

Yes it is the way of the world, but it's still unfair in those conditions.

That's my take on it.
Thanks for sharing. I agree with your post. At least the animal has a chance to escape from death.

MonicaG

Cavy Slave
I own two very, very large pythons. One is 11 feet long, the other is 8 feet long. They are actually great pets if you know what you are doing. I own two large carnivorous animals and also own two of the sweetest piggies in the world!! These snakes do require small game however. (and no I do not feed them my guinea pigs) I actually normally feed them some plump rats as they wont need to be fed for another month. I do buy these rats from a local pet store (NOT a chain pet store) and the owner knows exactly what my intentions are, and she is ok with that.

don't judge all of us please!!!

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Slave
I own two very, very large pythons. One is 11 feet long, the other is 8 feet long. They are actually great pets if you know what you are doing. I own two large carnivorous animals and also own two of the sweetest piggies in the world!! These snakes do require small game however. (and no I do not feed them my guinea pigs) I actually normally feed them some plump rats as they wont need to be fed for another month. I do buy these rats from a local pet store (NOT a chain pet store) and the owner knows exactly what my intentions are, and she is ok with that.

don't judge all of us please!!!
I'm not judging. By all means, keep carnivorous pets. The point I stated in a nut shell was if you must feed. Your pets live animals, at least make sure they are treated well before they die. I, on the other hand do not consume animal products and I do not want to contribute anything to the slaughtering of animals, especially animals that are slaughtered in large amounts as they do in factory farms. Because of my beliefs I don't see it possible owning a carnivorous pet without contributing to the death of something else. My family owns a dog. He is very sweet. I do not think I would own a dog because of their diet. I hear pigs are just as intelligent though, if not more and are vegan themselves. The reason I posted to begin with was the fact that some ignorant people would breed animals in terrible conditions for food for another.

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Slave
Also the idea of breeding and raising an animals and choosing what and when and how they will die also is something I do not believe in (I think I stated that already in a previous post)

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
its the circle of life, but at the same time there is a right way and wrong way of doing so.

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
I had a friend who had gotten a pet snake. They were feeding him white mice,but the way they did it disgusted me. They took the LIVE mice,hit them against the side of the tank until they were unconscious,then gave them to the snake. Why couldn't they have just put them in the tank for the snake to catch on it's own,than to torture them.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I am not sure how I feel about this. I don't like snakes and would never own one. I do know that they have to eat though but I could never feed one a live animal. I agree with there being a right way and a wrong way of doing so. Although, I would probably not be able to do either one. I get freaked out when my cats bring me dead mouse so to actually feed an animal to another animal? Yea, I am so not the person to do that!

GagoThePiggy

Cavy Slave
My personal feelings are I couldnt own a snake - or any animal that ate things that we like to keep as pets - from mice to rabbits etc. Saying that - animals do need to eat and I will never judge those that choose to have such animals. What I do have a problem with (and from what Ive read others here as well) is the inhumane way SOME people treat their animals prey as well as those that pretend they are giving a pet a loving home when they are really getting the free pets online to feed to their pets.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I get freaked out when my cats bring me dead mouse so to actually feed an animal to another animal? Yea, I am so not the person to do that!
Yep, that's how I know I'm totally incapable of having a snake and feeding it live prey. My cats are strictly indoors, but every now and then a frog or lizard gets into the house, and of course the cats figure that out before I do. I freak out and try to save the poor, unfortunate creature, but sometimes I'm too late, and I get very upset. Of course, I'm the sort who makes hubby catch spiders and put them outside, although fire ants and mosquitoes have to die. Not fair, I suppose, but that's the circle of life in my house.

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Yes. Mosquitoes have to die. 'Nuff said.
But with everyone else here, the animal in question needs to be treated right before its destined demise. And even then I don't like feeders, I can't even deal with lizards eating crickets. But bigger game seems all right to me. Lions eating gazelles, and such. It just looks different in my head. I have no why. Maybe because I have a history with these animals? I can remember wanting a rat, owning three mice, catching crickets at daycare nearly ten years ago, and the like. I can't fathom feeder pets.
If you tell a human he gets a month to live, what do people do for him? They treat him like a king. But with animals, it seems the opposite. The little friends are treated like nothing because they are destined to die. It is wrong. Why not do for animals what they cannot do themselves? Treat them like you would your own pet dog. Lavish them with toys, food, and affection, because you know you only have so long with them. We know that this is the right thing to do, but people these days just don't think it's worth the time, effort, and money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.