Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

expensive carpets vs Pigs

ben&jerry

Cavy Slave
Hey guys.

Ive got a bit of trouble with floor time as I now have very expensive carpets and dont want to get them dirty but at the same time I dont want to deny my pigs their fun (although I dont think they really call floor time fun lol).
I dont really want them running round on a plastic sheet but that seems pretty much the only option, I just wondered if you guys had any ideas?

kimmee

Cavy Slave
ben&jerry said:
Hey guys.

Ive got a bit of trouble with floor time as I now have very expensive carpets and dont want to get them dirty but at the same time I dont want to deny my pigs their fun (although I dont think they really call floor time fun lol).
I dont really want them running round on a plastic sheet but that seems pretty much the only option, I just wondered if you guys had any ideas?

A few suggestions I've read about on the forums are these:

1.) Use a combination of first putting down plastic (or a good shower curtain) and them put a cooshy, lint-free blanket down over the plastic. This will give them a nice surface to run on (that has traction! instead of just slippery plastic ;)) and the plastic will catch any peepee before it reaches your rugs.

Of course, if you do this, you'll have to wash the blanket you use every day or so, don't know how often or how long you bring your piggies out so it will vary.

2.) Use a tiled room instead! Got a kitchen or bathroom with tiles? Try that! Still, remember to put something soft down before you get the piggies out on the tile.

3.) Still no ideas? Use the bathtub! Seriously! Just put a large beach towel in the bottom of the tub (first making sure everything like knobs and drain are secured tightly) and let the piggies run around in there.

I'm sure other people have more ideas, these are just the ones I remember from other threads :D

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I agree with you on the carpet thing. I do not let my piggie on the new carpet often either. I usually let him play in the bathroom and that works out well. No cords dangling and really nothing for him to get himself in trouble. If you have tile though I would not allow your pig to run on that floor either because grout is very absorbent. The shower curtain idea Kimmie had woud work out next best with the fleece over it for your piggie. Good Luck and I understand where you are coming from.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.