Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Downsizing in Space and Pigs

RubysPiglets

Cavy Slave
So I have a dilemma. Currently I live in a house with an extra bedroom where my guinea pigs stay. They have a 2x4 cage and they just love it. In six weeks I'm moving to a house where we will no longer have any spare bedrooms, which means I must have them in my room. Space generally isn't the problem in my room, as I have a loft bed, a chair and a bookshelf as the only furniture. I was planning on having the cage underneath my bed. Anywhere else in the house isn't an option because my mom would never let me have the guinea pigs anywhere but a place where a door can be shut so guests don't have to see/smell them. I personally think this is ridiculous but it's not my house, and I have to comply with her if I want to have piggies at all.

Getting to the hard part. I'm a teenager, and although I really really love them, I don't want a huge clunky cage taking up half the space in my room, and I'm worried about smell. I'd like to be able to have friends over without being embarrassed at that musky pig smell that seems to linger. I have two pigs, and even though they don't fight terribly, they aren't very close. They aren't good buddies, lets say the least, and they've only been together for the summer, because I got my second one as a buddy for the first one towards the end of the school year. They get along okay, but there's no bondage there that I can see. One thought that ran through my head was possibly finding a new home for one and downsizing on cage space a little. I already told my mom that's what I would do, but I'm definitely rethinking that. When she said it was confirmed we were moving she told me it was time to 'get rid of them' and I panicked a little, telling her I'd keep Meechka, which is the one that the family loves, because he's such a sweetheart.

So I'm not sure what to do. I wish I had three pigs, actually. Then I would have a proper herd. But in reality, I'm worried about smell and cage eyesores and just plain..everything I guess. I don't want to get rid of Sammy, but he isn't a real social pig and has never warmed up to people. Needless to say he isn't my favorite. I know what y'all are gonna say. But I guess I need to hear it from you.

I was actually thinking of a two story L-shaped cage to go under my bed. I would need more coroplast and fleece, though, and simple things like that practically have to be begged for around my house. My mom is a little unwilling, haha.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Even if you cannot tell that they are bonded, they are. Males tend to not be as close as females but the fact that they aren't ripping eachother a new one every chance they get means that they are bonded. You really SHOULD keep them together. It will be better for them in the long run. Especially if you are off to school during the day, after school activities, sleep overs at friends and the like. They will need eachother to be happy and healthy. I know sometimes cages can look like an eyesore but try to make the fleece and accessories more fitting to your bedroom and your self. Do what you can about odor by sweeping poops twice a day and washing the fleece right with baking soda and/or vinegar and a good unscented soap. People smell, animals smell, trees smell, dirt smells, its all natural and dumping chemicles everywhere (if you do) will only cause you and your piggies health issues in the long run. As long as you and your room and piggies are clean then smell doesn't matter.

I'm sure if you took pics of your new room (when you get it) that many people here would be willing to help you plan a cage to suit yours and your piggies needs.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Please don't get rid of your second piggy.. Even if they are not close, they are great for keeping each other company, even if they don't cuddle together or whatever. As smell goes, you really need to spend 5 min in the morning and 5 min at night cleaning up poops (and putting them in a bag and in the outside trash) and maybe cleaning the whole cage every 4 days instead of every 7.

I am in my late 20's and my hubby and I are moving in with his parents for a few months while we buy a house and renovate it, and we have to put the pig in our room. Because we won't have a ton of space after we put our king size bed in the room we are building a large, wide cube storage unit to put the cage on top of, so we have them off the ground (away from the dog) as well as 16 (!) cubbies to store some boxes with necessary stuff in it. Because they will be in a room with a window that faces the street (so I can't leave it open during the day) I will have to keep their cage extra clean.

Maybe you should move first and see how it goes. It's ok not to be as close to your second piggy, but your other piggy benefits from him whether you do or not.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I vote for keeping them together as well.. I had to adopt out half my herd recently after a rather unexpected move and severe lack of space [my 8 pigs were all living in pairs in pet store cages, not ideal for them at all], and I still regret it.
Do you use fleece? Try two things: first, dry their laundry in the sun. Let it sit out on the clothesline for a good 3+ hours. That will get rid of any lingering smell between washings, and second, put baking soda in one of the layers of towels. This will absorb excess smell without being toxic to your pigs.
What was the cage design you had in mind? When I had more than one male, I noticed that two levels really benefitted their relationship.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone. Please keep both pigs. For multi-level cage, the main level still need to be large enough.

For odor control, you can use air purifier in the room or keep the window open.

Some people also recommend wood pellets as bedding. If you have busy lifestyle, fleece might not be suitable for you.

RubysPiglets

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I will definitely try out baking soda, because yes I do use fleece. I actually have one 2x4 Piggie Bed Spread and then use fleece and towels for any add-ons. I have just noticed that even with the convenience of the bed spread, their smell lingers and it doesn't smell as fresh as it should when I wash it. Air purifiers are just chemicals and I don't want that for me OR my pigs. Sticking with fleece. Definitely (in my opinion) the better option. I can only have the window cracked or fully open rarely because it's 110 half the time and too drafty at others. There are in-between times, but not a full-time option. I'll try baking soda.

I will definitely keep the other pig, then. Just have to be more persistent in cleaning now, haha. And now that you mention two levels to get away from each other - usually they are almost always within four grids of each other. Rarely is one in an area where the other one isn't. They just aren't very snuggly.

(first pic) Here is the space I have to work with - basically this corner underneath my bed, regardless of the size of the room I'm moving into. I would really like a cage design that isn't blocky and huge. You can tell that three grids wide is the limit - four or five the other way. Have to take into consideration the bed spread - or just not use it. But I would rather use it somewhere. Don't necessarily need need coroplast for extra areas because generally I just put down two towels on the grids and then pin the fleece. Also, I need the cage off of the floor for not only storage but I have a turtle table with a tortoise in it (Willie) that I keep underneath their cage. I own forty grids and 9 half-grids for ramps and loft sides. So I actually have a lot to work with here.

The second picture is one of my current cage. See how rectangular it is? I'd rather not have a big rectangle under my bed but I want adequate space for the pigs.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
An air purifier is a machine that filters particles out of the air and is not chemical. Air fresheners are sprays. If you use baking soda under your bed spread, put a layer of butcher paper down first. It will make it easier to clean the baking soda out of the cage when you clean. If you use a double layer of towels under your fleece, you can put the baking soda on top of the first towel then add your second. Sunshine really does help with the odor. If you are going to air dry your fleece etc, you can use more vinegar in the rinse as the smell will disapate in the open air. I found that soaking their bedding in warm to hot water with a good dose (like 1 1/2 - 2 times the normal amount) of a laundry enzyme for at least a couple of hours, if not overnight, really helped as well.

RubysPiglets

Cavy Slave
Oops, I was thinking fresheners when I read purifier :) And thank you for the tips. When I get more fleece I'll be able to air dry, because right now I only have the piggy bed spread and a few little ones for add-ons - I heard fleece drys slowly? Perhaps not in AZ, though :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
As you get your room all settled, you can always get fleece at a later date that has a theme and makes the cage more fun. Piggies see colors and my girls love brightly colored fleece. Down sizing a cage will not help with smell, it will just make it worse. I use a cup of vinegar in the wash and it makes my fleece nice and piggie scent free.

Lissie is the queen at fitting cages into tight spaces. I'm sure she will come up with some ideas.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Fleece does anything but dry slowly! After a few minutes outside it is mostly dry (I live in Missouri, it's always super humid and my piggy stuff dries pretty fast!). I think the piggy bedspread would take longer to dry as it is thicker than seperates. I have to change my fleece every 3 or 4 days otherwise it makes my room smell (2x4 and 2x3 loft with 3 girls). Washing the fleece with lots of vinegar and a little detergent then sun drying for a few hours does wonders. It also helps to put more towels under spots where the piggies pee more.

As far as smell I don't have boars but my friend does, they have their own bedroom and are freeranged, they keep that room very clean (no poos on the carpet). So spot cleaning will get rid of poo smell and baking soda under the towels should help with the boar smell. And when you do change the fleece spraying the coroplast with a mixture of vinegar water should help remove any smells left on the plastic.

RubysPiglets

Cavy Slave
That's very true, Peggy. And thanks for all the good cleaning information! I was thinking that perhaps - for a cage design under my bed:

O O O O
O O O
O O

Basically it's a 3x2 with a 1x2 and 1x1 add on. I'm not so sure about it though. Maybe I should just put the 1x1 with the 2x1 and make it a 3x3. That's probably the smart idea. But I like the idea of the first design.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.