Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dog food

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
what is good food to feed dogs?
is iams ok?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
what do all of you feed your dogs/puppies??? Mncavylover? Others with dogs?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
what is good food to feed dogs?
is iams ok?
Iams is a HORRIBLE animal abusing company. DO NOT use their food.
https://www.iamscruelty.com/

As a rule of thumb any dog food (or other pet food) that you can buy in a grocery store or Walmart type store is crap.

You need to get your food from a feed and grain type setup or specialty pet product store. Good foods made by good companies include:

Nutro (My dogs get Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice)
Eagle
Flint River
Back to Basics
Wellness

Those are just a few. Kibble by itself is not an appropriate food for your dog. To really give your dog a healthy diet you should include live enzymes (these are found in fresh/raw (never frozen) fruit, veggies and meat). Also include some yogurt. Papaya is wonderful for dogs as it is chock full of enzymes.

This is a great dane site but her recomendations for feeding are fabulous. Some of the stuff may seem wierd (or dangerous...like the raw boney chicken) but please believe me it has made all of my dogs very healthy and I know many, many others who feed this same way with fabulous results.
https://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/adult_feeding_program.htm

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
wow....i had no idea that their diets were so complex! most people i know who have dogs just feed dry food! can you send me a pm with more details. im really interested in this. thanks!

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I know someone who also feeds their dogs raw chickens necks! =( yucky!

I think our dogs (well my sister in-laws) eat science diet. Is that good?

We feed our cats Nutro. I've heard good things about this brand

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
wow....i had no idea that their diets were so complex! most people i know who have dogs just feed dry food! can you send me a pm with more details. im really interested in this. thanks!
I will be happy to share all I know. However I would rather post the info here for all to see and benefit from if that is ok with you?

I will post the info a little later. I'm about to leave the house to take my daughter to her riding lesson.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
sofiemuffins said:
I know someone who also feeds their dogs raw chickens necks! =( yucky!

I think our dogs (well my sister in-laws) eat science diet. Is that good?

We feed our cats Nutro. I've heard good things about this brand
Science Diet is okay. Not great. S.D. Makes great cat food but the dog food is not so great.

Nutro is excellent for dogs and cats. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

More later as I'm about to leave the house.

silkerlover

Cavy Slave
What about purina? that's what we feed my dog

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I feed my dog Nutro Max mini chunk. It helps the skin and coat. My dog has dry skin and she gets "schnauzer zits" we call them. They are bumps on the back and are just there. It only affects schnauzer though.

What kind of dogs do you all have and what are the names?
Mine is a White Miniature Schnauzer named Diamond.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Dogs don't need Vitamin C they don't need you to feed them it because they make their own. The only two animals that need to be fead vitamin C is guinea pigs and humans.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Sorry this is so long, but you asked....

Here are ways to tell a decent kibble for your dogs (silkerlover- sorry but most Purina foods are not very good. Purina One (metallic red bag) is okay...but falls short of my "good" rating).

#1 ingredient must be meat (not "by-products but actual meat). Beware of the meat followed by 3 or 4 grain ingredient. Add up the grains and the main ingredient is no longer meat. Avoid Ground corn like the plague. Corn is not digestible in dogs. Avoid wheat, many dogs are allergic to wheat.

Examples of first 4 ingredient in some popular dog foods followed by my rating (Great, Good, Okay, Awful):

Purina Kibbles and Chunks - Ground yellow corn, ground wheat, soybean meal, beef and bone meal - Awful (broken link removed)

Purina One (lamb and rice) -Lamb, brewers rice, oat meal, corn gluten meal - Okay

(broken link removed)

Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice - Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat - Good/Great

https://www.nutroproducts.com

Nutro Max - Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Corn Gluten Meal,- Okay (too much wheat and corn for my liking) https://www.nutroproducts.com

Science Diet Adult Original - Chicken, corn meal, ground grain sorghum, ground wheat, - Okay

(broken link removed)

Wellness/Solid Gold - Lamb, Lamb Meal, White Fish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Barley, - Great (broken link removed)

There are others. Go to the pet store well informed and you are bound to come out with something great. If you are getting a puppy then most of the recommended types of dog food companies make great puppy formulas. DO NOT fall into the trap of getting a Giant breed type dog (like a Great Dane mix) Large Breed puppy food. Giant breeds actually need much lower protein when they are growing then any other breed of dog (yes, the commercials are WAY wrong).

My dogs also get with their food:

-Raw chicken necks and backs with the bones...I know, I know. Chicken bones are bad for dogs. The fact is COOKED chicken bones are bad for dogs...they splinter. Raw chicken bones are fine as they do not splinter and are digestible to dogs...really...I did a lot of research on this.

-A raw egg (shell and all).

-About ½ - 1 cup of fresh pureed fruit and veggies. Content varies day by day but usually it’s apples, carrots, bell peppers, parsley, tomato, summer squash, peas, green beans, zucchini, grapes, papaya, etc... (no potatoes or onion. I always add fresh garlic to the puree and sometimes chicken or beef stock (makes it yummier to the dogs and the garlic is really good for them)

- a dollop of plain yogurt (fruit or vanilla flavors are fine too).

-Nzymes - natural Enzymes in tables or powder form...This product cured my dog’s allergies, got rid of another’s "hot spots" and helped with their hip dysplacia immensely! GREAT PRODUCT!!!!

(broken link removed)

-A heaping Tablespoon or two of a quality wet dog food with a little water to help make a gravy.

-Sometimes I add Grapeseed oil but it’s not always necessary.

Mix it all together and your dog will LOVE it’s meals and be the heathiest you have ever seen. It’s breath won’t smell. It’s poop will be firmer and less smelly, It’s coat will be shiny and shed less, the skin will be healthy and, once again, not smell.

The amount of each ingredient varies with your size and type of dog. A dog who has never been fed this type of diet may get upset tummy and diarrhea at first so wean them onto it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
My Baby Mu said:
Dogs don't need Vitamin C they don't need you to feed them it because they make their own. The only two animals that need to be fead vitamin C is guinea pigs and humans.
I don't understand why you said this? You are correct Dogs do not need Vit C however unlike cats, dogs are omnivores. They eat meat and plant. Therefore they should be fed some plants as part as a healthy, natural diet. There is more good stuff in veggies and fruits then just Vit C.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
thanks soo much voodoojoint

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
Science Diet is okay. Not great. S.D. Makes great cat food but the dog food is not so great.

Nutro is excellent for dogs and cats. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

More later as I'm about to leave the house.
Science Diet is not good cat food, it's first ingrediant is corn meal and not meat. And the first ingediant should be meat. At least that is what my vet told me. My vet doesn't even know why it is so 'reccomended' when they use corn meal as the first ingrediant.

Well as you know through a PM loves2travel, I fed my dog Natures Recipe and Ekanuba. I tried Royal Canine but she didn't like it.

Last edited:

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ok, i think i am going to do this. one of the dry kibble, then the other things yousaid, all pureed together. the only thing i might not be able to do is the chicken bones......do you think this is ok? and also grapeseed oil...i might needd to leave that out too.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
Science Diet is not good cat food, it's first ingrediant is corn meal and not meat. And the first ingediant should be meat. At least that is what my vet told me. My vet doesn't even know why it is so 'reccomended' when they use corn meal as the first ingrediant.

Well as you know through a PM loves2travel, I fed my dog Natures Recipe and Ekanuba. I tried Royal Canine but she didn't like it.
You are probably right. I don't feed S.D. to my cats and have never researched it. I said that because I was told a long time ago by someone else. I should have looked into that fact (or lack of) before saying so. Thanks for correcting me.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
ok, i think i am going to do this. one of the dry kibble, then the other things yousaid, all pureed together. the only thing i might not be able to do is the chicken bones......do you think this is ok? and also grapeseed oil...i might needd to leave that out too.
That should be fine. The meat will be supplied by the quality kibble and the live enzymes by the veggie puree and Nzymes. You don't need the oil...some people add it to make an even shinier coat and to minimize shedding even more but I don't think it has any nutritional benefits.

Do yourself a favor and make a lot of the puree at once (enough for a week). You can store it in the fridge (don't freeze it or you kill the enzymes). This will save you daily work in feeding.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i'll proabaly go with the nutro natural lamb and rice. there is a store 2 minutes from my house that carries it.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i forgot to ask - voodoojoint, can you give a rough estimate on the price of the nutro natural lamb and rice?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.