Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Diagnosed with Cancer this Morning

I just wanted to update this.

Root Beer's fur is gaining some luster back, she's eating and drinking normally again, and has become very regular again. She's even gained 1.5oz back since starting the medicine. There is one set back though... she has gone blind in her bad eye. I can tell since it's all clouded over. I showed it to my mom who agreed with me.

Blind eye aside, she's doing quite well (considering what her diagnosis is).

I'll continue to update this thread with any updates on her (especially since there aren't many threads here dealing with cancer in guinea pigs).

Last edited:
That is so good to hear!!! My prayers to Root Beer!

No matter what happens with her sight, she'll still hear your voice and feel your caring touch. I'm so glad she's showing signs of improvement!

I am so very glad that she is showing signs of improvement...that is wonderful ! Yay !

I'm glad to read that she's showing signs of improvement. She will always appreciate everything you've done for her. :)

There is an update...

Sadly only mere hours after last updating this thread (on Sunday, October 23), Root Beer began taking a turn for the worse. She stopped eating and drinking that night, and she began to have difficultly closing her good eye. She also began to have trouble breathing from her good nostril.

On the morning of October 24th, 2011, I decided it was time to let Root Beer pass peacefully. I brought her into the vet first thing, and was made their first appointment due to her condition. I was there when the clinic opened, but an hour before the vet arrived. I was placed in an exam room with her for privacy, where I could pet her and say good-bye...

The vet agreed with me that it was the best thing for her considering her deteriorating condition. When I was ready, he opted to give her a sedative with a shot instead of gas. That way I could be in the same room, and she would be less stressed (also because she was having trouble breathing). He told me the sedative would take 5-10 minutes to take effect, and then he would could back.

I was able to cradle her in my arms, in one of her favorite blankets during her last moments of awareness. I gently pet her in her favorite manner, and encouraged her to fall asleep; that the pain would be over soon...

When the vet came back into the room, she was asleep. He checked her over to make sure she was completely unresponsive. Then was I was ready again, he told me he would be giving her the next shot straight into the heart. I said my final good-bye to her, and turned around to face the corner while administrating to shot to Root Beer, with the help of his assistant. It was instant when he injected it into her.

When I turned back around, he was checking her vitals, and told me that she was gone. He reassured me that I had made the right choice, and it was a kindness. That he was well aware of how well I took care of her (he has seen all my pigs at some point) and loved her. That if she was left to her own devices, it would be have been a painful end. Instead, I just let her drift off in her sleep.

When I was done saying goodbye again, he gently covered with a towel, and carried her out of the room.

Soon after, I received an 'I'm sorry for your loss' card from the clinic, with everyone's signatures, and a personal note from the vet that diagnosed her with cancer.

I'm just happy that I was able to give her one of everything of all her favorites, one last time before she passed.

I also know that she'll never really be gone... she left her heart with me and the other pigs, and will live on inside us and our memories.

RIP Root Beer, may you forever run free in the grassy fields of the rainbow bridge with your first piggy husband, Bodie. We will all miss you...

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss Nic... It sounds very familiar to my piggy Patches 2 years ago. Its hard making that decision but they speak to us in their own way when they are ready. I find they usually really perk up and "rally" right before they are going to get worse and pass away. Its like they have all this energy and they want to show their love and appreciation for us before they have to cross the rainbow bridge.

I love it when vets send out condolences cards... Mine didn't and that sucks.

Do you have any other guinea pigs right now?

Do you have any other guinea pigs right now?

Thanks you, and yes. I also let her say goodbye to the 4 remaining pigs. 1 neutered boy (Oliver), and 3 girls (BoJangles, Skunk, and Monkey).

They are in a slight depression right now, and while eating a sufficient amount, they are not eating as much as they were when her hospital cage was connected to the main one. They will be fine in another week or two. I keep changing up their cozies/cuddle areas and toys. I plan on remodeling the cage in about a week.

I am very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your piggies.

I am so, so sorry. What you did was the kindest and most loving thing you could do for her. She went to sleep, as you said, in comfort and in your loving company. Now my prayers are with you and the rest of your piggies as I know she was a member of your family. Peace to you and the rest of your family.

I'm sorry to about Root Beer. I know one piggie who had lymphoma and was on chemotherapy.
https://cavyhouse.org/

The owner of the rescue is on Guinea Lynx. If you send her a message, I'm sure she would be willing to help. Her username is CavyHouse.

If you post on Guinea Lynx forums, you might get more answers there.

This is where I got my last pig! She is a very nice lady and might be helpful to you as she has a ton of pigs in her rescue. Sorry to hear about your piggy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Rootbeer!

sorry didn't read all the posts...I'm so sorry for your loss, your story brought a tear to my eye and I'm glad she was able to be with you as she passed. She lived a good life with you :)

I don't have any information to share with you but I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for this news. My thoughts are with you and Root Beer.

oh my goodness. This made me cry. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Losing pigs is always hard but I've never been faced with a decision like that. I believe you made the right choice, but I know it still hurts. You sound like a wonderful owner/mommy and your pigs are so lucky to have you. Best wishes.

I'm so so sorry for your loss! It's just heartbreaking to hear about your ordeal. Wishing you many happy memories of your time with Root Beer.

I wanted to thank you for sharing all the information you did though because it may help someone else in a similar situation.

I am truly sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I hope this can help...this owner has a GP's same cancer as yours.(broken link removed) inside he/she told how the chemo go.....but they used another method call predisone

Over here i paste what the owner written in their page....
And I hope it can help root beet..

Treatment & Prognosis

Treatments in dogs and cats (and humans) can include chemotherapy. In a guinea pig, chemotherapy is not as well studied; protocols are not established based on large-sample trials, and their small size makes it difficult since the drugs are designed for larger species. However, it has been done, and there are drug protocols for chemo available on Guinea Lynx.
Due to Cinnamon’s age, her vet did not feel that she would have a positive response to chemo. It causes nausea and GI upset, and she would be likely to go into GI stasis; it also works by suppressing immune function, making her more susceptible to opportunistic infections. He instead suggested that we keep her onpain medication, and also put her on Prednisone. Prednisone is said to shrink the tumors, or at least to slow their growth. As a steroid, it also reduces inflammation and pain.
Most of the treatment information on lymphosarcoma in guinea pigs comes from anecdotal reports of owners who have been through the disease with their pet. However, the prognosis is almost universally bad. One well-respected poster reports: “The average survival rate is quite variable, but I have yet to hear of one living longer than 6 weeks.” [5] Even when the pig is on Prednisone, a commonly reported complication is the tumors in the throat lymph nodes pressing on the trachea or esophagus, making eating and breathing difficult.
Given the information we have found, we do not expect Cinnamon to be with us very much longer. So now we are mostly focusing on making her comfortable and her last days enjoyable. She is still housed with her friend Stinky, who cuddles up with her and has been seen grooming her ears. She’s been a wonderful little girl and we’ll be very sorry to see her leave us.

From (broken link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i just read this...sorry for your lost...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I agree with RubyRain that it was very thoughtful for you to share your story of your precious pet's passing. As hard as it can be, being there at the end with your pet, it can give you a sense of peace and closure. Your pets are lucky to have such a caring owner. I wish all creatures had the same loving care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.