Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Desperately need advice. Starting to think I'm not good for piggies.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I've had them for a week and only tried picking them up once before today. It was on the fourth day and I'd been sticking my hand in the cage on and off the day before. They nibbled at me, sniffed, and hid under my hand. But of course they wouldn't let me get close to them to pick them up. When I finally got Tulip she squirmed so much that I had to put her back in fear of dropping her. I'm only so concerned because I think they have mites or lice or some parasite and I want to check for myself because I can't exactly afford a $60 vet bill right now (I literally got them a week ago, NOT from a pet store, in hopes they'd be healthy babies, and alternatively spent loads on their accessories so they'd be happy). I tried again to pick one up today as I've constantly been talking to them and they've seemed so relaxed in my presence. I had to use a blanket to get Tulip and I tried to examine her but she began squirm and I had to set her down in the play pen. This was followed by insanely loud shrieking. I eventually had to put her back. She's most likely terrified of me now and all past progress erased. I just have absolutely no idea what to do and I'm starting to think getting them was such a stupid idea as I'm turning out to be awful at this. Any advice is appreciated.

Babies are squirmy and wild. They might even use their back nails to get traction to try and propel themselves from your hands so be very careful when you pick them up. Time and patience is the key. It takes a LOT of time for them to trust you and realize you aren't going to hurt them. Feed them veggies while you have them on your lap instead of putting them in their cage. Talk softly to them, don't make sudden movements and try not to cast a shadow on them when you approach them. They're prey animals so it's instinctive for them to run away. They aren't going to be socialized in a few weeks. It will probably be more like months if you're consistent with handling them and spending time with them.

My baby piggies are very hard to catch when they're in their cage, and they are extremely squirmy when I'm holding them in the air, but once they're on my lap they calm right down and allow me to pet them without a problem.

@pinky Would you recommend me handling them as much as older piggies or just let them hang out on their own until they warm up to me? I feel like picking them up makes them hate me and all past bonding is forgotten.
@pigger123 How long until you started handling them frequently and how do you go about picking them up? I'm just super worried about them having some kind of skin issue but it's impossible to pick them up and inspect.

I doubt they have a skin issue, they're just young and squirmy. My babies were actually born at my house (I didn't breed them, I adopted a pregnant sow), and I've been handling them since a couple hours after they were born. I kind of chase them into a corner and scoop them up with one hand holding their chest and front leg area and the other hand supporting their rump. They kick and wriggle, but you just have to be firm and not let them escape from you. Of course, you don't want to squeeze them hard, but you have to have a firm grip. You have to be able to hold them to give them health checks and nail trims and such, and picking them up won't make them hate you. Even the most bonded, socialized, and cuddly lap pigs often avoid being picked up.

Well they're itching, biting, and shaking out their fur a lot. I'm not really sure what "a lot" is as these are my first ever, but there's definitely some scratching going on. No loss of fur but I can't help but freak out. Do yours still attempt to dodge and run when you corner them? That's why I had to resort to using the blanket to catch her. But I'm not sure if that scares them more. Just feel like an evil monster diving in on them.

I guess they may have mites or something. You could treat them for mites just to be on the safe side. All of the pigs I've ever met attempted to dodge and run when I tried to pick them up, it's a natural instinct for prey animals. You will likely never get them to let you pick them up without a fuss, but you can teach them that being held is an okay activity by spending lots of time with them and hand feeding them in your lap.

Most piggies don't like being picked up (to them it's like a bird of prey has caught them and they are about to be eaten) but once you sit down with them and start feeding them veggies they are fine. They also don't feel hate, so they don't hate you.

Just overwhelmed with the possibility that these little cuties probably have mites. Being a first time owner this is the last I expected.
I'm also upset that no animal clinics in my area will do payments >.< but I'm going to try and follow guinealynx's mite page and treat them with ivermectin.

As for the handling - if she shrieks like before, should I continue and put her back into the cage or what is recommended? Do you think I need to spend more time talking with them/hand-feeding in the cage before I continue to pick them up? So far they still won't eat veggies or fruit out of my hand though they will sniff and nibble. I'm fine with the idea that with patience comes friendship, I'm just concerned about treating them and making them happy.

When you pick them up, do you walk away from the cage? Do you sit down? Do you have things for them to hide under? My boys were skittish when I first brought them home, but I just pulled them out for lap time every night, on the couch so they couldn't see their cage, and had either a cuddle cup/blanket combo or a snuggle sack so they would feel safe.

@ThePigAlchemist what should I do with shrieking then, just ignore it? I wonder if it's because Tulip was without her sister, and they've been together since birth?
@ginipigsinspace today was the first time I successfully picked one up, and I immediately sat down on the floor and held her to my chest. I picked her up with a pillowcase (or rather threw it on her then scooped) and wrapped it around her. Do you think throwing it on her is bad?

Thank you both, I was unsure if I should continue trying to handle them, but this is reassurance that their reaction is normal. Was having a cavy breakdown.

I had the exact same problem with my guinea pig! I adopted him from someone who had him posted on craigslist for adoption saying he was very social, but seemed very afraid of people when I took him home. Have you tried the elevator method? This is an idea I got from the forum, what I did was I got an old box and cut a square shaped door on one side. I put a towel, veggies, and timothy hay inside. He used to go in himself the first two days but then I had to shoo him in with my hand after he caught onto me haha:). Once they go into the box you just close the door with your hand and lift them up and you don't have to worry about chasing them around anymore, it's great! I used to feel it was setting him back when I did that, he is doing much better now. I bring the box to a chair and sit down with a towel on my lap and the box beside me and he sits on my lap and eats more hay and veggies and when he starts to get tired he'll go back into the box through the little opening himself. This has helped him and I tremendously.= )

Still trying. Talia made it impossible and began to chatter her teeth at me so I stopped with her. I got Tulip and she seemed so terrified, rapid breathing and eyes wide. I snuggled her in a towel. I don't know if I should continue picking them up or if I should take more time to bond with them.

If you haven't already try taking them out together, that way they have company. And the towel is a good idea. they don't like to be out in the open.

I have had my guinea pig for a little over a month now and he still chatters his teeth at me sometimes, but after a while he settles down. I always make sure that he has plenty of things to eat when I hold him too which helps a lot! :)

My guinea used to be very afraid of me and would run and hide when he heard me coming, it really made me feel like I would never be able to get close to him. Since the fist day I got him I started to hand feed him veggies, sometimes he would never come out to get them and would wait for me to leave. A few weeks later I started to see improvement, I would have to wait about 10 minutes holding veggies but he would eventually come and grab them while running off after though. Today, all I have to do is say "Hi Louie!" and he comes out of his house and popcorns and starts wheeking at just the sound of my voice! He has come a long way from when he used to hide and chatter his teeth at me most of the time. Someone on this forum said "The way to a guinea pigs heart is through food" and it's very true! :)

My girls have gotten better with this too. They are 3.5 months old and I have had them for about 1.5 months. When I got them, they were VERY wiggly and squeaky. I started to feel the same way as you. Very discouraged and worried. I just kept at it, though. Hand feeding, lap time, talking to them, etc all helped. Now the girls usually let me give them a good pet in their cage (after I corner them a tad) and pur like crazy! They even let me pick them up with less of a fight (they still fight it a little). Little by little, I'm hoping they get more bonded with me. Just keep doing what you're doing. They will get used to you.

I agree with what was said about putting them back in the cage when they shriek. You're the mama and they will learn that you are not going to hurt them. Keep them with you and don't let that scare you. You're the lady with the veggies!!! Soon enough THAT'S what they'll be shrieking about!

I think all piggys run when there is a loud or sudden noise so please don't worry. The best way to stop a piggy flipping put when you pick him up os hold him very very close one hand under the bum and tummy and the other hand covering him on top or stroking him. Bring him as close to your waist as possible. Or you could get a snuggly blanket wrap him in it and hold him or your chest looking at each other. When he starts to bite the blanket or moving around he needs the loo so please put him back. Good luck hope that helps

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I've been picking them up everyday and Tulip seems to be more accepting of it. She's starting sniffing my face and is mostly relaxed, but it sounds like she might be whining after a while of me holding and petting her. Talia still chatters every time I go for her and is terrified and whining at all times when I hold her.

Are you sitting in another room with her? I found that helped tremendously with Maggie and Lily...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.