Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Cute boy surrendered at my pet store

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Today I came in to work and found that a cute orange and white one year old boar had been surrendered by his owners to my pet store. He looks big, but under his fluffy fur he's quite bony, and his feet are in poor shape from lack of nail trimming. I trimmed his nails as best as I can, but I don't know if his toes will go back to normal. They're a bit crooked from having his nails so long.

His owners gave us his cage and accessories, but I was told that they were so dirty that my manager just threw them out.

I like him a lot, but I can't adopt him myself. If anybody is looking for a male pig in north western Washington, he'll be available in about three days. I want to make sure he goes to a home with a big enough cage where he can get some special attention so he can get healthy, but my coworkers aren't as knowledgeable about guinea pig care and cage sizes, despite how much I talk about it at work.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Why can't you adopt him? Because you work there? That seems highly unfair, since you would probably give him much better care than any wandering family looking for a quick and "easy" pet for their kids. That's like telling me I can't buy groceries at walmart just because I work there. :/

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Why can't you adopt him? Because you work there? That seems highly unfair, since you would probably give him much better care than any wandering family looking for a quick and "easy" pet for their kids. That's like telling me I can't buy groceries at walmart just because I work there. :/

Seems a little harsh. Is she supposed to adopt every animal that someone else leaves there? She doesn't have to explain herself to you.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
At least half of the animals surrendered to us wind up adopted by employees, but my boss are already a handful, and I don't feel I have the resources for a third, especially if he needs extra vet attention or separate housing.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I didnt mean it in a harsh way. I was just genuinely curious, i thought it was an issue with not being able to adopt because of being employed there. Ive heard of pet stores doing that. I didnt realize. Sorry, geez.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I didnt mean it in a harsh way. I was just genuinely curious, i thought it was an issue with not being able to adopt because of being employed there. Ive heard of pet stores doing that. I didnt realize. Sorry, geez.
No problem. I didn't feel attacked in any way [emoji2]. I'm also glad to see the members of this forum so quick to defend and support other members, even though it wound up not being anything to worry about.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I wish I could adopt him. My boyfriend (who has our piggies) is in the Northwest of WA but we only have girls, and no space to add another cage, unfortunately

kairi26

Cavy Slave
According to the paperwork, his name is Walter. He looks so much like my Cosmo, except for his colors. They have the same face shape, crest, and body size. Walter might even be longer.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I wish I could adopt him. My boyfriend (who has our piggies) is in the Northwest of WA but we only have girls, and no space to add another cage, unfortunately
I totally understand. I'm just trying to spread the word, since we don't advertise our adoptions online. Do you know anyone who has/wants pigs?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I wish I could take him! He's so cute and I need a second boy for my Brownie (he's been alone for a few months now since Spaz passed). But I'm way down in Arkansas.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If his toes are curled and he's a bit boney along his topline, then it's possible he's not as young as they said. Those are signs of senior aged guinea pigs.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
If his toes are curled and he's a bit boney along his topline, then it's possible he's not as young as they said. Those are signs of senior aged guinea pigs.
It would be weird that they'd lie about something like that, though it's possible. Apparently they said he was purchased as a baby from our store last year. My guess would be that he was a Christmas present, or he might have been purchased when the company put them on sale the first week of April. I remember a number of litters around that time that looked very similar to him.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Okay. As a rescue, though, I get pigs all the time that people claim are lots younger than they really are.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
People think it will be easier to give away animals if they lie about the age. Some people don't think anyone wants a senior animal so they claim it's younger than it really is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.