Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast on OUTSIDE of grids??

edmacke999

Cavy Gazer
Just wondering... I've seen some pictures of C and C cages where the guinea pigs seem to have eaten the Coroplast. I can't imagine that's very good for the animals, and it also doesn't look very good.

I was wondering what the disadvantage would be to building the cage so that the coroplast went OUTSIDE the grids, instead of inside.

The only difference I can think of would be that you might have to sometimes lift up the grids to do something(?) and it might be more aesthetic to have it inside. On the plus side, I don't think they'd be able to chew it as much - or at all - which would actually be better looking that a chewed-up interior, and the little guys wouldn't be eating plastic.

Thoughts???

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your pigs are like mine, the grids in the corner will be a mess in less than an hour. It's harder to clean grids when they are peed and pooped on.

edmacke999

Cavy Gazer
Good point! Do you have problems with the pigs eating the coroplast? If so, I plan on using fleece for the bedding... does it help if the fleece is run all the way up the coroplast sides?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Good point! Do you have problems with the pigs eating the coroplast? If so, I plan on using fleece for the bedding... does it help if the fleece is run all the way up the coroplast sides?

Like @Lissie, I woudn't even consider putting the grids on the inside. Most of the time my cavies have never really been interested in chewing coroplast......except that of the ramp.

The easiest way to deter them is to put plastic binders (spines) on the exposed edges of the coroplast. It is almost impossible to do unless you do it before the coro box is glued together. It is much easier to ease them on from an exposed edge. I buy mine at Michael's Crafts store where they are usually in the framing section and are called "Poster Hangars". They are much longer.......meaning you will need fewer of them.......than the regular presentation binders that you might find in Staple's.

Poster hangarsS.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I definitely recommend the plastic edging posted above!

I have a couple pigs who love to chew the opening edge of their coroplast kitchen insert. The spines work wonderfully and prevents them from nibbling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.