Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Corneal Ulcer - Reggie's Thread

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

We noticed yesterday that Reggie's (~6 months, 908g) eye was all cloudy. We took him in this afternoon and the eye was stained - a green circle showed up in the lower corner of his eye, which the vet said was an ulcer. There was also redness surrounding it, and kinda what looked like a bump? Anyway, he gave us some tobramycin drops and lubricant to give twice daily (1 drop each time), 30 mins apart. He wants to have us back in 3 days to see the progress. Does this seem about right? I have never dealt with eye issues and I don't want to give the wrong medication and hurt the little guy.

I'm hoping it will heal well. Do they normally once treated? How long should it take? The vet was a bit hard to understand, hence the asking here. He mentioned maybe having to do some surgical procedure - not to remove the eye, but to "scrape" the ulcer off? I can't remember his exact words. Is that something that's normally done in guinea pigs?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.