Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cyst Abu's Medical Thread

AbuBalooandMe

Cavy Slave
I am sorry if there is another way to do this, but my last thread for Abu closed as it was around a year ago. Here's the link to it https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/abus-abscess.125591/#post-1037398. Please close this thread if this new one is not allowed.

It has been around a year since Abu had his lump removed, but I have been closely monitoring him just in case it did come back. I thought the area looked pretty odd for a few months, and just about a week and a half ago I realized that a new lump had formed in the same position. Just the lump, it had not ruptured or anything which is good.

I took him to the vet on Monday, the same vet that removed the abscess last time. She said that it was most likely a benign sebaceous cyst, as guinea pigs frequently get. It is in a slightly different position, so it could be related to the last one or not. In addition during the last surgery, the vet said that she was not able to get it all because it was getting close to his intestines. The new one seems a bit too far from where his intestines would be though. She also said that it is in a good place for surgery and would be easy to remove, in addition to him being healthy otherwise and a good candidate for surgery.

I am a bit worried about the cost, I am a minor and my parents would have to help pay for it. If this is a frequent thing I was wondering if surgery would be necessary. It does look to be getting a bit bigger and I am worried that it will continue to get bigger. Abu does not seem to be bothered by it at all. The vet also mentioned that it would be up to us and that we could wait to see if it did get bigger.

Should I get a second opinion? This is not an exotic vet, but she does handle the smaller pocket pets at this particular vet. We do not have many vets around that do see guinea pigs, but being in southern California I am sure we could find another.

Thank you so much for any advice that you have.

A little bit of an update on Abu,

I have been checking Abu's bump every day and today I saw that it had opened. It is red on the outside and has the pus-like stuff on the inside. I think the opening is a little less than the size of a dime. It is not leaking (oozing?) and it's in a place that doesn't seem to touch the floor when he sits.

The vet never sent the estimate for if we were to do the surgery. I have read about soaking it in a saline solution or flushing it out. What is the best thing to do?

If it has opened and there is no drainage, it will not heal again. A cyst of this kind is filled with thick, greasy necrotic tissue. It needs to be cleaned by a vet so that only healthy tissue remains. Sometimes this can be done with local anesthetic, which is much easier on the guinea pig and much less expensive. Contact your vet and maybe send pictures of the cyst to see if they have surgery options.

Actually, if it's a cyst, the cyst wall needs to be removed or it will just keep filling up again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.