Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cordless handheld vacuum advice for piggie fleece

Samwise

Cavy Gazer
I need to buy some sort of vacuum for daily cleaning of my piggie fleece. I assume that most people use handheld vacuums, and I would prefer a cordless one to make things easier. Is there a certain model or brand you would recommend? I've searched around a bit and Black and Decker BDH2000PL is supposed to be one of the (broken link removed) choices for cordless handheld vacuums, but is it any good for fleece? Same goes for Dyson V6 Trigger, it's hard to tell what they are good for.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I have a tiny 1.5 gallon shop vac that works amazingly and it cost less then $10.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave

pawner69

Cavy Slave
It's not cordless. I bought it at Menard's which is local to the midwest, however, I believe I saw them all over on line...Amazon, Walmart, Target, hardware stores, etc.

zachdwayne

Cavy Slave
We had the same problem before. I also had hard time looking for the right vacuum cleaner. I tried searching and went to www.cnet.com and (broken link removed) and found some cordless vacuum cleaner. You may also see vacuum cleaners that are light weight and durable. Good luck on finding the right one you need. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have a tiny 1.5 gallon shop vac that works amazingly and it cost less then $10.
I have read quite a few using a wet/dry shop vac for cleaning. If I go back to using fleece i will try using one.

algrif40

Cavy Slave
How do you vacuum without sucking up all the fleece? My fleece is huge and I"m having a hard time keeping it clean

mariemason

Cavy Gazer
I use a Vax H86 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner and it's fantastic. For such small size it's really powerful and easily gets in to those hard to reach places:)

Arkin

Cavy Slave
I use a black and decker chv1410L. It's cordless, lasts a long time on a single charge, is powerful, and its battery isn't temperamental and loses charge if you don't wait til its drained, or it gets old or whatever. I use it for all of our pets and random stuff on teh floor. Easy

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
I use a Gator 9.6 Volt Cordless Hand Vac by Dirt Devil. It works fine but don't try and vacuum up hay because it could break the vacuum.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I have the black and decker flexx handheld. It's cordless has a reusable filter that you can just rinse off when it gets too dirty. It works great on my fleece but if you try to suck up too much hay it will get clogged. It's a bag less one so you just empty it when your done. You can get it at Walmart for about $60 and comes with 3 attachments, a brush, a crevice tool and then the pet tool that is wonderful on pet hair. I'm surprised at how much pet hair I get off my fleece when I use it to vacuum it. It comes with a holder too to store all the attachments right on the machine. And it does have an extra attachment you can buy to use on the floors for $20 on Amazon. It's a great little hand held and I love it!!!

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I have a bissell 3-way stick vac. So far it is working great at picking just about everything up. Hay is a problem, fills the cup fast, but just dump and carry on. It's not cordless, but my cage is up off the floor, and hides the vacuum. I keep it plugged in at the foot of the cage. Only $18.00 at Walmart. No bags, and washable filters. Actually I have a couple of these because I have all tile floors and they are easier than a broom and dust pan. LOL The one I'm using for the piggy's is 3yrs old and going strong. Just my 2cents worth.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
We got a new washer and it doesn't handle the fur as well as the last one so I think I need a vacuum for that. The way I do my fleeces it doesn't work for my to sew liners on. Would it be to difficult to vacuum fleece with out the support of a liner? Is there a way to make that work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ArcanaNoir

Cavy Slave
We got a new washer and it doesn't handle the fur as well as the last one so I think I need a vacuum for that. The way I do my fleeces it doesn't work for my to sew liners on. Would it be to difficult to vacuum fleece with out the support of a liner? Is there a way to make that work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have a pvc pipe frame for my fleece, with channels for the pipes sewn into the fleece. The pipes come apart at the corners to slide in and out of the fleece. It's not like a liner because its just the single fleece layer. I have it over wood pellets. Maybe something like that might work for you to help hold the fleece in place so you can vacuum it.
I use the eureka easy clean 71B to vacuum my fleece. It's not cordless, but I chose that on purpose so it would stay powerful for long enough to do the whole cage. It also has a rotating brush which helps get a lot of the hair off. The only thing I don't like is that it's heavy.
Another possible solution for you is a large laundry bag to wash your fleece in. That should contain the hair in the bag and not let it out into the washer. I've even heard of people using pillow cases as a laundry bag, if your fleece can fit with enough room to move around a bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.