Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Chewing everything!

Cherrish09

Cavy Slave
Please help me before I go insane! My two girls literally CHEW EVERYTHING!!!! the coroplast ramp, the plastic tunnel, the blanket, the cage... but they WONT chew their chew toys... they are driving me insane with all the chewing and its costing me a fortune to keep replacing everything.... its not cause they are hungry cause they eat till they cant eat anymore... HELP!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are they getting unlimited hay?
Guinea pigs don't really need chew toys.

Cherrish09

Cavy Slave
yes they have TONS of hay! (i mean chew toys as in the wood sticks & wood tunnel things)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Try putting a 50-50 solution of diluted white Vinegar and water on the areas the Pigs chew the most. Or, lemon juice seems to have the same effect, but still mix it with 50% water.

The chewing probably will never 100% stop, but this should deter the pigs somewhat from doing it. And, it seems like this is bothering you more than you are worried about the Piggies' health. So, to let you know, you shouldn't worry about them chewing as long as they aren't chewing+consuming ginormous amounts of plastic. And for you........ Ya might have to get over this one yourself!

:D

Cherrish09

Cavy Slave
Try putting a 50-50 solution of diluted white Vinegar and water on the areas the Pigs chew the most. Or, lemon juice seems to have the same effect, but still mix it with 50% water.

The chewing probably will never 100% stop, but this should deter the pigs somewhat from doing it. And, it seems like this is bothering you more than you are worried about the Piggies' health. So, to let you know, you shouldn't worry about them chewing as long as they aren't chewing+consuming ginormous amounts of plastic. And for you........ Ya might have to get over this one yourself!

:D
well I am not worried about their health because I know they are not consuming lots at one time and they have regular checkups but the fact that they are destroying everything does annoy me cause I am not made of money and cannot afford to keep replacing the items... so just "getting over it" isnt gonna solve anything.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can put plastic binder edging over the edge of coroplast to prevent them from chewing. This is what they look like.
(broken link removed)

You can find them in office supply stores.

Edit to add:
They are supposed to be harder type of plastics so it will be harder for them to chew.

There's also something similar that you can find from hardware store that's made of metal.

Last edited:

Cherrish09

Cavy Slave
You can put plastic binder edging over the edge of coroplast to prevent them from chewing. This is what they look like.
(broken link removed)

You can find them in office supply stores.

Edit to add:
They are supposed to be harder type of plastics so it will be harder for them to chew.

There's also something similar that you can find from hardware store that's made of metal.
wow great idea!!! thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.