Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Checklist

i_heart_pigs

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if any one had a detailed checklist of things to get initially. A link to one would be great also. Thanks

I am not actually aware of one.

Off the top of my head,

Cage:
You will need:
Grids and connectors (Wire storage cubes)
Zip Ties,
Coroplast, or a temporary bottom made out of cardboard with a plastic sheet (tablecloth, shower curtain etc)

At least one water bottle
At least one food dish
Hay rack (can make out of bent grid)
Pigloo or hidey house for each pig. (Can use Cardboard box as temporary hidey house)

Food:
Hay, good quality grass hay needed for all ages, alfalfa for babies too.
Pellets. Good quality pellet, Oxbow, Km are best, Mazuri Plain pellet is ok.
If you are in Washington state, i highly recommend (broken link removed)

Bedding:
Decide on a type of bedding.
If going with fleece, enough to cover entire cage, second set is preferable. (third set is ideal) And an underpadding, such as towels, flannel, vetbed, puppy pads.

You can also use: Kiln dried pine or aspen shavings (never cedar)
Yesterdays News / Carefresh
Wood stove pellets
Don't use clay cat litter, sawdust, or cob bedding. (Cob bedding molds)

Toys:
paper bags, toilet paper rolls (cut down the side) cat toys like catnip toys and little balls. Scrunched up piece of paper.

I would like to add to C&K's list a digital scale so that you can weigh your piggies. It is important to weigh and record their weight often. Weight loss is usually the first sign of ilness, and piggies go down hill fast so the quicker you catch on that there is something wrong the better.

As for toys and such I find this page very helpful:https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

Kudos to you for doing your research before getting your piggies.

I would like to add to C&K's list a digital scale so that you can weigh your piggies. It is important to weigh and record their weight often. Weight loss is usually the first sign of ilness, and piggies go down hill fast so the quicker you catch on that there is something wrong the better.

Yes, that is very important.
You may also want to add a very mild shampoo, such as one designed for small animals or at the very least, young kittens.

And also a bottle or Ivermectin. That is a bit of an investment, but well worth it if you run into a mite infestation to have on hand. Check the expiry date before you buy, it should last for years!

Cubes.
cloroplast.
cable ties.
water bottles.
food dishes.
hay rack.
pigloo or hidey house.
Bedding.
Hay.
Some form of toys.

And of course some kind of guinea pigs.

A piggy first aid kit is essential:

Oxbow Critical Care (absolute must-have)
Pedialyte/Dioralyte (plain) for cases where piggies are not drinking.
Probiotic (always good to have to hand in cases where the pig IS eating but on antibiotics) such as Bio-lapis or acidophilus - NOT live yoghurt!
Small animal or human nail clippers (whichever you're most comfortable using).
50mg vitamin C tablets - NOT vitamin drops to put in water.

Feel free to add... I've not put antibiotics on the list deliberately (I know even after years of experience I've not got the knowledge to dose or diagnose the pigs myself).

Wow thanks everyone, this is great list. I have been doing my research too.

Dollar stores work great for toys. Upside down storage baskets-hidey houses. Wooden tables and boxes (small ones with the lid and bottom stacked on top of each other) work for climbers. I got my two pellet dishes,and food bowl from Dollarama. You also might want a soft bristled brush, not sure how else to describe it, and a log book. (to record weight, what you fed them, maybe even a little journal ;) ) We got our shammies (which are under,our fleece and on top of the mattress pad) from the dollar store too. So, I would reccomend going to your local one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.